Does anyone subscribe to Weather Spork?

I don't, but probably will after complete my IR. The creator participates on Beechtalk and has answered lots of non-weatherspork-related weather questions in a lot of detail. (Sometimes with a soft plug for his service, sometimes not.) He also posts a lot of information there and on his site that's probably worth the price of his app alone.

Pireps for Weather Spork please.

The creator Scott Dennstaedt is a former NWS meteorologist and current CFII. He does a lot of weather flying instruction, including one-on-one internet briefings. His app is an extension of his website AvWxWorkshops.com, and includes a lot of training material you can view online.

One question is do I need to know all that a meteorologist knows about weather or is it enough to read and understand the forecast without knowing how it was created?

One question is do I need to know all that a meteorologist knows about weather or is it enough to read and understand the forecast without knowing how it was created?
I think that weather understanding for a pilot might be bound by those two positions. There are certainly beneficial things to learn that go past understanding the forecast. Understanding the skew-T is a huge step forward since it helps us predict or visualize convection, cloud layers, icing, wind shear, and fog. another thing that is sometimes apparent when flying is that there might be several distinct air masses along the route and those air masses are not captured in the surface analyses or forecast plot. either the data do not exist or the meteorologist can't be bothered with that level of detail. Sometimes you get that level of detail in a TAF and when you call flight service all the briefer will say is words along the line of "that's what the weather service guy says..." at times like that I wish detailed local maps could be made available.

I got my hopes up there for a minute. I thought that Weatherspark was back with their graphs.

I really miss being able to look a weather graphs that go back years. :(

Back