Does Anyone Know Where or When?????

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
True story, came today from a long-time business friend of mine:

The son in-law of Dick Ames(local attorney who died a year ago) is a pilot of the fast jets used in one of the Armed Services precision flight teams(don't know which one). He is an instructor, not a show pilot. Some time ago he agreed to take a Navy ship's captain up for a flight. When they were at considerable altitude, all going well, he felt turbulence and wind. The canopy was open; it seems the passenger had managed to push the eject mechanism and was gone.

The pilot radioed that he had lost his passenger and he was advised that he, also, should eject. "No, I think I can bring her in," he responded. He, allegedly crouched forward because of the wind, landed the plane safely and was later given considerable recognition for saving the aircraft.

The passenger? Found safe some 60 miles away, having been successful with the parachute, was summarily booted out of the Navy for having endangered life and property of the U. S. Government.

??????????????/

HR

Harley;

Do not know the service or the year that you mention. I wonder if this happened near Patuxant. The Blue Angels started there with the Grumman Bear Cat and then moved to the Couger or F9F I grew up where these Navy guys use to use the river I grew up on for some fun stuff. The Chester River was their playground.

They were out of Patuxant and yes they flew just above the deck and then some. I still can remember a bunch of these pilots flying Bear Cats at 20 feet right by our farm. There were 8 of them. Then the F9F's (jets)came just a year later. It was great to see all this action when you are 2 to 5 years old. Gosh this was so much fun to sit on the bank of the river and enjoy.

Sorry I wish I could help out.

John J

Back