Does anyone know of an interactive GPS/moving map simulator?

BarryJI

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Barry
I'm retraining after a long layoff. I want to be able to confidently operate equipment in the aircraft that I'm not accustomed to. I'm good with tech but I don't want to be learning how to operate GPS and moving map and other digital nav aids only in flight when I could perhaps get familiarised via a computer simulator. I am not looking for a flight simulator, merely an interactive cockpit, if such a thing exists. It's been so long since I last flew (18 years) that I haven't even flown a C172 with an autopilot. I'm one of these people who likes to be able to use the equipment in the aircraft so I'd really value some kind of interactive aid. Thank you!

What GPS? What model? GPS is GPS but the displays and controls are different among the vendors.

There is a free Garmin GTN trainer app for iPad as well as a g500txi app

Pretty much any modern panel mount GPS has a PC and/or tablet-based trainer/demo app these days. Google is your friend, or visit the Apple or Google app stores, and/or look at the manufacturer's website.

There is a free Garmin GNX simulator for the Ipad available in the App Store. I suspect they have one for other models of GPS, too. (Did I mention that it is FREE??!!?!)

Just make sure to develop an unusually strong opinion about whether to fly Track Up or North Up. That way you'll be ready to go when that argument circles back around on PoA.

Very helpful responses, many thanks. I am astonished by how much easier — and probably safer — it will be to navigate in and around California’s challenging airspace, terrain and sometimes weather with this (to me) new combination of GPS and Foreflight/iPad. I like to learn things thoroughly and understand functionality fully, though, so your collective advice is a very good place to start, thanks again!

I have a Garmin gtn750 and g500txi...along with a good auto pilot, it reduces workload and increases situational awareness...

I have not started using Garmin telligence yet, but I plan to soon, which will be another tool to streamline workload

Back