Does anyone here have experience with Shellac?

Capt.Crash'n'Burn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Capt.Crash'n'Burn
I've been trying to finish a woodworking project with amber shellac, but haven't been getting good results yet. I'm trying to spray it with a gravity feed spray gun, but it either doesn't cover evenly, or I get runs.

Does anyone here have experience with it and know a few tricks??

I've been trying to finish a woodworking project with amber shellac, but haven't been getting good results yet. I'm trying to spray it with a gravity feed spray gun, but it either doesn't cover evenly, or I get runs.

I'm sure there are some skilled woodworkers in this audience, but I'm also sure you'll find a higher concentration of them in a forum dedicated to woodworkers. The one I'm most familiar with is "www.sawmillcreek.org". Post your question in the finishing subforum describing your materials and technique, and I'm sure you'll get a number of on topic responses.

I would give you the benefit of my vast experience and expertise (yeah, right! :wink2: ) but I've never sprayed shellac and gotten results that I'd let outside my shop.

Here are a few sources you might find useful:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4895244_spray-shellac-paint-sprayer.html
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20897
http://www.woodworking-online.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=103692&sid=b7b1916281f48fd4673209dad461ca92
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Spraying_shellac.html

And, if you google "Spray Shellac" you'll find many more.

The best example I've seen was when the Cowboys played the Vikings in the playoffs last year.

Shellac is pretty easy to apply, although most people don't spray it. The steps are simple: Prepare the wood, thin the shellac to the right consistency for the application method, apply it, let it dry, sand it, and do it again. Usually 3 or 4 coats are enough.

The first coat often seems uneven because the wood absorbs it differently in different places. Usually the first coat will seal the wood, and subsequent coats will be even.

Unevenness can also occur if you don't prepare the wood properly, sand it unevenly, or use too fine a sandpaper on the bare wood. 120- to 140-grit sandpaper is good for the bare wood, and 220-grit for sanding between coats.

The final coat can be polished with 0000 steel wool, then waxed.

-Rich

The best example I've seen was when the Cowboys played the Vikings in the playoffs last year.
Cubs v Brewers the other night was a pretty good example too.

As for working with the wood here is a website that has some good info http://www.woodworkersresource.com/ they have a whole section on finishing that might help.

Last edited:
You can spray latex, enamel, polyurethane, or even chocolate... You cannot spray shellac - at least I can't even after 50 years of fooling with furniture... The individual droplets partially dry from the air blast before they impact the surface leaving lemon peel...

I'm sure there are some skilled woodworkers in this audience, but I'm also sure you'll find a higher concentration of them in a forum dedicated to woodworkers.

Thanks for the links, but I don't feel like joining another forum. I figured there would be enough people here to answer my question, I was right. ;-)

Shellac is pretty easy to apply, although most people don't spray it. The steps are simple: Prepare the wood, thin the shellac to the right consistency for the application method, apply it, let it dry, sand it, and do it again. Usually 3 or 4 coats are enough.

The first coat often seems uneven because the wood absorbs it differently in different places. Usually the first coat will seal the wood, and subsequent coats will be even.

Unevenness can also occur if you don't prepare the wood properly, sand it unevenly, or use too fine a sandpaper on the bare wood. 120- to 140-grit sandpaper is good for the bare wood, and 220-grit for sanding between coats.

The final coat can be polished with 0000 steel wool, then waxed.

-Rich

Thanks Rich, apparently, I was sanding the wood with too fine of a grit, 220. oops

You can spray latex, enamel, polyurethane, or even chocolate... You cannot spray shellac - at least I can't even after 50 years of fooling with furniture... The individual droplets partially dry from the air blast before they impact the surface leaving lemon peel...

I cut the shellac with isopropyl alcohol, and that seems to work.

There is only one way I have found to produce a good result with shellac and that is to French Polish.

The Chicago Cubs have a lot of experience with Shellac.
They are so bad, they are getting Shellac-ked every game this year!:goofy:

Back