Does anyone else receive emails from this company ?

ICUDoc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ICUDoc
http://www.aeromercado.com.br/getUltrau.asp?id=13344

A few times per month I get an email from these guys selling a slightly used or often brand new(ly built) experimental aircraft. By all appearances it seems they have managed to skirt the 51% rule in it's entirety. In other words, it doesn't appear a type certificate in the US is required, if the plane is manufactured in Brazil. What am I missing ?

No price.

But hey, if it gets you a nice plane for a good price, I'm all for it.

No price.

But hey, if it gets you a nice plane for a good price, I'm all for it.

The dollar to real conversion rate is 4 reals / dollar. That's the lowest it's been in the 25 years I've been traveling in and out of the country. These guys will negotiate. Their economy is a mess with the PBR scandal and general recession.

Yes, so anyway I spoke with one of the principals yesterday. You can choose your kit (RVs, of course, preferred) go down there and build it with them with full assist, and then bring it back in with no apparent regulatory problems. Go figure.

Nope. Not going to happen unless the buyer and seller are both willing to lie. From the AOPA Pilot Resources on importing aircraft:

"Aircraft certified as experimental, amateur-built in a foreign country will usually qualify for a U.S. experimental, amateur-built airworthiness certificate if the buyer can prove that all U.S. requirements have been met. In order to do this, you may have to present the builder's records documenting flight testing and proving the 51% rule (to be certificated as amateur-built, the builder must complete at least 51% of the aircraft)."

Still have to meet all the same requirements the same as if you bought it here in the US.

Keith

Nope. Not going to happen unless the buyer and seller are both willing to lie. From the AOPA Pilot Resources on importing aircraft:

"Aircraft certified as experimental, amateur-built in a foreign country will usually qualify for a U.S. experimental, amateur-built airworthiness certificate if the buyer can prove that all U.S. requirements have been met. In order to do this, you may have to present the builder's records documenting flight testing and proving the 51% rule (to be certificated as amateur-built, the builder must complete at least 51% of the aircraft)."

Still have to meet all the same requirements the same as if you bought it here in the US.

Keith

not exactly true, 51% must be built for educational and recreational purposes. that 51% can be built by multiple builders not just one builder. but there needs to be a paper trail to prove that to the DER or fed.

assisted build has been approved for years. but you had better have the documentation to show that you participated in the build.

bob

Last edited:
This is similar to the Two-Weeks-to-Taxi for a Sportsman 2+2. Show up, build exactly 51% while the professionals do the other 49% along with all the set-up and supply all the jigs and tools.

Back