Does Airport Manager get involved with incident?

• Thread starter Need Assistance
  • Start date
Had an incident yesterday involving a tailwheel aircraft that nosed over upon landing and had a prop strike. Owner voluntarily moved it when fire and police dept arrived on scene. No injuries but he claims he doesn’t want to report it. Does the airport manager need to call the FSDO and report it if the owner doesn’t want to?

In my cases the airport manager did report it.

I had 29 years on the job. My agency only responded to off-airport incidents, and the PD where the airport was responded if there was an injury or actual crash.

Yep, we all hate paper! But there’s often that sergeant out there who doesn’t have to write it and directs you to pull a case number.

No doubt you were in law enforcement! We all worked for “that sergeant”! One of the many reasons I jumped at the chance to get off the road and in the air. Stay safe my Brother or Sister, as the case may be!

Unfortunately, not all hate the paperwork. There are a few states out there that "empower" state and local agencies to investigate aircraft accidents if they so choose. And the federal side doesn't prevent it. It made for some interesting reading on several occasions.
No doubt there are differences between agencies. I bet there were some interesting reports. “The driver of the plane went down when shoulda gone up. The spiny thing in front of the hood impacted ground and will need to be bent back. Suspect plane encountered thin air making it fall.”

I see a number of references to reporting to the FAA. I believe the report, if any, should go first to the NTSB, who will decide whether to involve the FAA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back