Does a CFII have to be rated in a plane type...

MetalCloud

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MetalCloud
... before they can instruct in it? Thinking specifically for IFR currency.

... before they can instruct in it? Thinking specifically for IFR currency.

What do you mean by type? As in type rating?

The only requirement for make & model is for multi engine* instructors providing flight training in a twin** towards a certificate or rating.

*or rotorcraft or powered lift instructor
**helicopter or powered lift aircraft

Ah... ok. Thanks. I was confusing the rules of the club with the rules of the FAA

The ME part makes sense. Let's say I rented from a club that only provided cessnas. If I bought a bonanza, my CFII could do my proficiency checks even if he's never flown one? I guess it's not really "flight training"

It is training, and it's allowed.

Be wary of any CFI who will give instruction in an unfamiliar airplane without at least a little study on his part.

What's legal is not always safe...or permitted by insurance.

What's legal is not always safe...or permitted by insurance.

So long as the owner remains PIC for the entire flight, insurance shouldn't be an issue for IPC purposes.

So long as the owner remains PIC for the entire flight, insurance shouldn't be an issue for IPC purposes.
Sure, but the club or FBO might have a policy permitting flight training only from club approved instructors, often under the guise of insurance requirements.

Oh I agree about the safety side. I wouldn't necessarily do it... just wondering because I don't know much about the CFI side of things

But they can instruct for IFR side of things?

As I mentioned previously, the only restriction on an instructor having PIC time in make and model is for miltiengine airplanes, helicopters and powered life aircraft, and that restriction only applies to flight training required for a certificate or rating. So if you owned a Beech Baron 58 and the CFI only had BE55 time, he could give you a flight review or IPC, but could not train you for a multi-engine add-on rating.

If we're talking a single engine aircraft, none of these restrictions apply. The insurance company or owner of the aircraft may have a policy above and beyond the FAA Regs that requires PIC time in make and model. Make sure you do your research before bringing your instructor along to make sure you haven't violated any insurance requirements or club rules. Otherwise you may discover after an accident you're not insured.

My insurance would beg to differ. If there was an incident the owners insurance policy would go after mine and until last week mine did not cover non-owned aircraft. It was not a cheap addition to the policy either.

My insurance would beg to differ. If there was an incident the owners insurance policy would go after mine and until last week mine did not cover non-owned aircraft. It was not a cheap addition to the policy either.

I mean from the owner's standpoint. The aircraft owner's insurance will pay out so long as the owner is acting as PIC, even if there's a CFI on board giving instruction. Now, the insurance company may subrogate against the CFI, but that's irrelevant from the aircraft owner's perspective. And if the CFI get's sued in connection with the accident, the owner's insurance isn't going to help the CFI.

As I mentioned previously, the only restriction on an instructor having PIC time in make and model is for miltiengine airplanes, helicopters and powered life aircraft, and that restriction only applies to flight training required for a certificate or rating. So if you owned a Beech Baron 58 and the CFI only had BE55 time, he could give you a flight review or IPC, but could not train you for a multi-engine add-on rating.

If we're talking a single engine aircraft, none of these restrictions apply. The insurance company or owner of the aircraft may have a policy above and beyond the FAA Regs that requires PIC time in make and model. Make sure you do your research before bringing your instructor along to make sure you haven't violated any insurance requirements or club rules. Otherwise you may discover after an accident you're not insured.

There's another restriction even in singles. You forgot type rating. Required on the instructor's pilot certificate to teach in any aircraft that requires one.

And a bunch more in 61.195 for various other things.

But I don't think the question posed asked about teaching Cat II/III ILS approaches or night vision goggles... or an initial CFI certificate. :)

There's another restriction even in singles. You forgot type rating. Required on the instructor's pilot certificate to teach in any aircraft that requires one.

And a bunch more in 61.195 for various other things.

But I don't think the question posed asked about teaching Cat II/III ILS approaches or night vision goggles... or an initial CFI certificate. :)
I didn't forget it; it's not relevant to the OP. How many GA singles in a flying club are out there that require a type rating?

I didn't forget it; it's not relevant to the OP. How many GA singles in a flying club are out there that require a type rating?

Well you said "only". ;) Should have been "only that I think apply to your situation", perhaps. :)

Back