Does a BFR require VMC conditions?

MarkZ

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
To the CFI's ...

Tomorrow may be VFR or MVFR (Chicago weather). I'm up for BFR and need to get my instrument currency. Are VMC conditions required to complete a BFR, or can we file IFR and complete the BFR requirements under IFR and possibly IMC conditions?

It depends on the instructor. Most of us want to see some basic flight maneuvers (slow flight, stalls, steep turns) and various takeoffs and landings (short, soft, etc) as part of a flight review. There are a number of ways to do that under IFR, especially if the tops are low and you can cancel and do the maneuvers on top, but it's a lot harder than doing it on a good VFR day. Also, since there are no regulatory requirements as to what flight maneuvers are required for an instructor to sign a flight review endorsement, it's possible you can find an instructor willing to sign one based only on the flight events which are part of an IPC (plus the mandatory "review of the current general operating and flight rules of part 91 of this chapter" specified in 61.56(a) as part of the minimum one hour of ground training for a FR).

So, it's possible, but not the easiest way to do it, and your instructor will have to be willing to do it that way.

A CFI must evaluate to the PTS standard the following tasks to sign off a pilot for an IPC:

Holding procedure, unusual attitudes, *intercepting/tracking navigational signal and *DME arcs, *a non-precesion approach, *a precision approach, a circle to land, a landing from straight in approach, a landing from circle to land, *a missed approach, *loss of communications, loss of primary instrument indications, *and checking instruments and equipment.

You then can add some tasks such as stalls, short fields, steep turns, ect.

I won't give flight reviews in less than VMC conditions.

A CFI must evaluate to the PTS standard the following tasks to sign off a pilot for an IPC:

Holding procedure, unusual attitudes, *intercepting/tracking navigational signal and *DME arcs, *a non-precesion approach, *a precision approach, a circle to land, a landing from straight in approach, a landing from circle to land, *a missed approach, *loss of communications, loss of primary instrument indications, *and checking instruments and equipment.

You then can add some tasks such as stalls, short fields, steep turns, ect.

The OP did not ask for an IPC. He asked about a Flight Review in IMC.

My last flight review was in IMC, which is specifically what I asked for.

What I didn't want was a review of steep turns, slow flight, stalls. What I did want was someone to watch me fly IFR in in the system on a short cross country with an approach on either end...something that mimics a real IFR flight. It was refreshing, and very useful.

........Are VMC conditions required to complete a BFR.....

The simple answer is, No. Not required. Typically done by most CFI's in VMC? Yes. But required? No. I got a 61.56 Flight Review (though us old guys still call em BFR's) sign-off my last time in the sim for a Recurrent, and rarely saw anything out the "window" other than the approach lights and runway at minimums. Read 61.56(a) with specific attention to 61.56(a)(2)...... that is the answer to the OP's original question.

As a CFI who has both given and received BFR's (I'm old, I can still call it a BFR), the BFR is the chance for the Receiving Pilot to negotiate with the CFI to come up with a plan that is both useful and fun for the Pilot, while still allowing the CFI to observe and review the flying skills of the Pilot. I once took an "aerobatic BFR". I told the CFI (who was also a very accomplished aerobatic pilot) that I had never done aerobatics and wanted to try out some loops and rolls (and whatever else my stomach could tolerate) in a Citabria, for my BFR. He was reluctant at first, but I talked him into it. Had a great time, learned some new fun stuff, and got the BFR sign-off.

My last flight review was in IMC, which is specifically what I asked for.

What I didn't want was a review of steep turns, slow flight, stalls. What I did want was someone to watch me fly IFR in in the system on a short cross country with an approach on either end...something that mimics a real IFR flight. It was refreshing, and very useful.
It is well within an instructor's discretion to go along with this, but personally, I would not.

Back