Does a 3rd Class Medical do more harm than good?

Henning actually does have it partly right. There are a lot of those guys out there. Many left the system after solo, and everyone around them thinks they have a ticket....

That is why when there is an "investigation", all aspects get looked at. Including medical. I'm always amazed who around us just "scoff" and fly. I don't care if they kill themselves. I just don't want them to take an innocent with them.

I had to turn away two EAA members flying certificated production aircraft, at a Young Eagles event. Amazing. Checked them out on line with the laptop. No ticket, no medical, and CERTAINLY no insurance. And it was yet another reason I quit that association.

Henning actually does have it partly right. There are a lot of those guys out there. Many left the system after solo, and everyone around them thinks they have a ticket....

That is why when there is an "investigation", all aspects get looked at. Including medical. I'm always amazed who around us just "scoff" and fly. I don't care if they kill themselves. I just don't want them to take an innocent with them.

I had to turn away two EAA members flying certificated production aircraft, at a Young Eagles event. Amazing. Checked them out on line with the laptop. No ticket, no medical, and CERTAINLY no insurance. And it was yet another reason I quit that association.

Don't disagree with that. Like anything else you'll always have a class that feels the law and the rules don't apply to them. :nonod:

There are also those who just don't care about the authority you claim to have over them, in fact they will actively defy it. They are not unique to aviation either, it's a trait most of us carry with regards to one subject or another. Welcome to the human condition, now we can continue status quo and operate in denial of it, or we can accept it and learn better ways to control the result. Status quo will only lead to a worsening situation.

There are also those who just don't care about the authority you claim to have over them, in fact they will actively defy it. They are not unique to aviation either, it's a trait most of us carry with regards to one subject or another. Welcome to the human condition, now we can continue status quo and operate in denial of it, or we can accept it and learn better ways to control the result. Status quo will only lead to a worsening situation.

And there are those who feel they can lie their way through life and never be found out and never suffer the consequences.

Just like flying without medicals or certificates, there are those that fly without aircraft registration certificates or do major alterations without log entries or 337's, etc, etc.

It's one thing to have a medical or BFR lapse and that's just human. But I have very little regard for those who openly and knowingly violate the law.

And as it's been mentioned many times previously, lying to a Federal Officer is a really bad idea.

And there are those who feel they can lie their way through life and never be found out and never suffer the consequences.

Just like flying without medicals or certificates, there are those that fly without aircraft registration certificates or do major alterations without log entries or 337's, etc, etc.

It's one thing to have a medical or BFR lapse and that's just human. But I have very little regard for those who openly and knowingly violate the law.

And as it's been mentioned many times previously, lying to a Federal Officer is a really bad idea.

Right, but none of that goes to affect a change in the result. If the status quo does not produce the desired result, then the sensible thing to do would be to change one's approach to the the problem rather than doubling up on a failing effort. We can deny that humans will react in less than honorable ways and accept the result we get from trying to enforce that belief, or we can change our approach to modifying behavior and try for an even better result that doesn't require the same level of regulation to provide a superior result.

Whether you like or respect these people is immaterial, they exist and they are part of what your job is to deal with remediating their hazard to the public as best you can. I just think there are better ways to deal with it. Heck, that's why we ended up with LSA was to get the Fat Ultralight guys under some safer program.

Last edited:

R&W- the legal officer (for AAM 300) you describe, if it's the same guy (older fella, dark hair, bald on top), spoke at Warren Silberman's retirement. 500 is about what he said for enforcements, too. He really liked Warren, who was plainspoken and that won many cases.

I'm having a senior moment. I'll have to consult the "retirement CD" to view his talk. It was HUMOROUS.

R&W- the legal officer (for AAM 300) you describe, if it's the same guy (older fella, dark hair, bald on top), spoke at Warren Silberman's retirement. 500 is about what he said for enforcements, too. He really liked Warren, who was plainspoken and that won many cases.

I'm having a senior moment. I'll have to consult the "retirement CD" to view his talk. It was HUMOROUS.

Yep, that sounds like him. :thumbsup:

Wow, I didn't realize Silberman had retired!

Yea, right.

Just FYI.. My instructor who has been flying for 60 years and 12k hours was ramped for the first time in his life a few months ago and they didn't even ask for his certificate.

I'd suggest you check him except I know he has a current medical which he has worked diligently to maintain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back