Dodged a bullet

Discussion in 'Lessons Learned' started by Timbeck2, May 17, 2017.

1. MAKG1

MAKG1 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    MAKG
    Most of us don't fly every day. And theft, vandalism, and critters are much more likely to occur overnight than during an hour you're eating a $100 burger. If the plane sits for weeks on a crowded ramp, you're much more likely to have damage occur during those weeks than while you're taking a leak.

For the CAP plane, if I just flew the damn thing into base, I'm not spending 20 minutes on another full preflight before flying a sortie. That's time I could be searching, so it gets a walk around and mag check.

Following your rules, the AFROTC flights I did last month would have spent almost as much time preflighting than flying the cadets (they are very short flights).

2. Glenn D

Glenn D Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Glenn D
    As a Machinist, early in my learning how to make stuff, I learned that you NEVER take your hand off a Chuck Key... Lathe, Drill press, Milling machine, or any other Chuck Key... having seen another student using a Mill fling a key across the classroom and through the glass window, it was forever embedded into my mind.. I think of the towbar as a Chuck Key, it never leaves my hand unless its is in the back of the plane...

denverpilot, Ryanb and wsuffa like this.
  3. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fast Eddie B
    That's fine if everyone is comfortable with it.

But...

On Young Eagle flights I do a preflight before every flight. To not do so sends a message to budding pilots: preflights are optional. Given the Law of Primacy, I'd rather not send that message.

4. Lachlan

Lachlan Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lachlan
    I was about to type that exact suggestion. Tow bar pin on the key ring prevents amateurish idiocy from ensuing.

Palmpilot likes this.
  5. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    I'm an advocate of the "towbar isn't attached to the strut outside the hangar unless my hand is on it" school of thought. ;) When I had a private hangar back in Michigan, I (or my mechanic) frequently left the towbar attached after pushing the plane into the hangar. Much easier to pull it back out that way.

After all, it isn't as if I'm likely to turn the engine on inside the hangar!

6. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    I watched an idiot do that once.

7. Zeldman

Zeldman Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    I can't take off with the tow still attached. I don't think the plane would lift the tug off the ground....:nonod:

8. MAKG1

MAKG1 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    MAKG
    Yeah, but starting the engine could still be very expensive.

Zeldman likes this.
  9. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Score one for the twin... haha.

10. Ronbonjovi

Ronbonjovi Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ronbonjovi
    Glad to hear nothing bad came of it. My CFI has been adamant about safety, as he should be. As I complete the preflight I stand behind the airplane check one last time that the towbar, chocks, and tie downs are removed and gas caps fared into the wind, then ask myself if she looks ready to fly today. When I get back in the airplane I scan over the preflight checklist again before beginning the start engine check. I can understand not doing a full preflight when you land for a restroom break, but just pulling up to the airport and opening the hangar door and jumping in is beyond me. We have a few that do this at our field. I obviously trust my airplane, but don't see a reason in risking my life or expensive property to save a few minutes.

11. ejensen

ejensen Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Jensen
    A friend has does that if she can't get help pulling out the plane. Can't do it by herself. Nothing in the hangar to blow around.

12. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    With our door systems on ours, there's a pretty high chance an aircraft blowing into the hangar would pop the locks loose and drop the overhead door on the aircraft.

13. ejensen

ejensen Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Jensen
    Don't think our would do that but I'll give her your warning. She has a significant other now so it won't happen very often.

denverpilot likes this.
  14. Radar Contact

Radar Contact Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kevin
    Finally. :)

denverpilot likes this.
  15. sferguson524

sferguson524 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerSocalFlyer
    I thought I'd never try and back my car out with the sunshade up in the windshield, but i did the other day.. My almost 3 year old had me very distracted and i started to back out of my spot.... Thankfully i caught it when i turned to look over the other shoulder