.docx file upload

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
The file upload option allow for the .doc extension files. But with the move to MS Word 2007 the addition of XML to the format of the file has created a new default file extension for Word, that would be the .DOCX files. While one may still default to older versions when saving a file, it will become more common for .docx files to be around. Perhaps our file options need to be updated to reflect this change.

Also why can we not upload .ppt or .pptx files?

The file upload option allow for the .doc extension files. But with the move to MS Word 2007 the addition of XML to the format of the file has created a new default file extension for Word, that would be the .DOCX files. While one may still default to older versions when saving a file, it will become more common for .docx files to be around. Perhaps our file options need to be updated to reflect this change.

Yeah, we can probably set it to allow .docx.

Also why can we not upload .ppt or .pptx files?

Frankly, I'm not a fan of any of them. I'm not sure what purpose they serve. Too many other formats to choose from in this day and age. The days of virus laden office files have passed (for the most part), but there are just easier ways. For instance, instead of posting a word doc...why not post a link to a google doc? No extra software needed for the people wanting to see it. I might be missing something, though. About the most useful use of office docs that I've seen on the board is when some users have posted "calculators" of various types (e.g. airplane ownership cost calculators) as excel spreadsheets.

Not trying to be a curmudgeon. Just calling 'em how I see 'em. That said, this board is here to serve the users...not my opinions. If people feel the need to post .ppt files, we can likely figure out a way to support it.

Not trying to be a curmudgeon.
Well if you're not you are doing an awfully good impersonation of one ;)

I was trying to post a summary presentation on a white paper that was done in power point.

I live and breathe power point. We use it in our business for most everything. I know some people hate it. I can understand it when I see wall of word presentation where the knucklehead then reads what is on his slides. But that is not power point's fault, that is the knucklehead not learning how to make a public speech.

Like it or not MS Office is the business world's preferred software package. If we are handling Word and Excel docs I guess I just don't see why power point is not also allowed to be posted.

BTW the discussion has come up before

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18567&
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16814&

The usual work around was to zip up the ppt or pps file and then upload that.

But I thought I would ask again to see if there was some interest.

Last edited:
i can't wait till i get to be a curmudgeon. i've been practicing for when i get old.

EastwoodMyLawn.jpg

Last edited:
FlyNE said:
+1

Of the "top 5 largest attachments" three are .pps files (which are allowed for some reason).

There you go. Post a self-executable .pps presentation instead of the .ppt project.

I suggest PDF as well; as noted, the DOCX is a format which requires that you us MS Office (or equivalent) to read; not everyone has that (or wants it). Also, with a PDF, you never have to wonder whether what people are seeing is exactly what you sent; with MS Word, you just never know what you are going to get.

I suggest PDF as well; as noted, the DOCX is a format which requires that you us MS Office (or equivalent) to read; not everyone has that (or wants it). Also, with a PDF, you never have to wonder whether what people are seeing is exactly what you sent; with MS Word, you just never know what you are going to get.

concur.

ps - (and not directed at anyone in particular) I thought tags were supposed to be meaningful?

Prefacing this with a reminder that I hate hate hate hate MS Office, fwiw, .docx is readable by OpenOffice,org and GoogleDocs now. Corel can't be too far behind. Even using an old version of office ain't an excuse anymore since there's a patch.

As for ppt? I hated powerpoint for most of my nerd years. Unfortunately, my life has filled with Microsoft Project and Microsoft PowerPoint now, and ib have come to like both.

Not the cool answer, but hey.

Back