Documentation questions

Wheels

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wheels
I'm filling out my 8500-8 for my student pilot certificate and medical and have a couple of questions. I had a kidney stone in Oct 2000 but no recurrence, will I have to provide any extra paperwork to the AME? Also I had a misdemeanor conviction almost 25 years ago (not drug or alcohol related) and don't have copies of the court paperwork. Will I need to get copies of the paperwork prior to my medical?

Presumably you're using MEDEXPRESS. If you have AOPA access I'd go ask Dr. Bruce over there or you can write him direct via his website www.aeromedicalDoc.com.

The misdemeanor in isolation that long ago is probably not a problem (though if it was coupled with a psyciatric or drug/alcohol or whatever event even if the actual conviction was not strictly for those, it might be an issue).

The kidney stone is going to require documentation. Did you have a KUB or CT done? You're going to at least need a statement that you passed one and only one and you've been stone free. This one you should talk to Bruce about. There have been changes in the past few days about what the AMEs can and can't do on the spot. You may have just been screwed by the bureaucratic process.

I don't have any paperwork from the doctor. I actually went to the ER in a different city and was in the Navy at the time so all paperwork was turned over to them. Now I am retired from the Navy and don't have anyway to get a statement from either the ER or Navy docs that I saw at the time. I think that a CT was done but again, I don't have copies of any of it.

I don't have any paperwork from the doctor. I actually went to the ER in a different city and was in the Navy at the time so all paperwork was turned over to them. Now I am retired from the Navy and don't have anyway to get a statement from either the ER or Navy docs that I saw at the time. I think that a CT was done but again, I don't have copies of any of it.

With that said you really need to contact Dr. Bruce before you ever see an AME or you could put yourself into a spot.

He helped me a ton! I thought I could never get a medical... that was 198 hours ago :) Good luck!

I'm not an AME, but I did have a kidney stone. My understanding - If you've ever had a stone, FAA wants proof (less than 90 days old) that you don't have any more. They will take a KUB x-ray (fairly cheap) and a urologist report. If anything shows, the urologist will have to state that the stones have little to no chance of breaking loose.

That's MY understanding of how it works. An AME will be able to give you the real scoop. It won't be a big deal unless there are other stones found.

As others have said, pay for Dr. Bruce Chien's consultation so all of the correct documentation is prepared... correctly. Missing or ill prepared items will cause a major delay in issuance of the certificate.

Dr. Bruce Chien can be found on the AOPA web forums, his website, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com, or his email aeromedicaldoc@comcast.net.

Hint: Be 100% honest with him. His tolerance to people who lie or hide things from him is very low. And doing that is a very fast way to lose access to a valuable aero medical resource.

Last edited:
I had a kidney stone requiring surgery to remove it before I could renew my medical. I was then issued a special issuance medical good for one year. Next time for a medical, all I needed was a flat chest X-ray to show the urologist. He determined I was stone free and wrote a short report stating so. I turned that report into my AME and he turned it in for another special issuance. A couple months later I got a letter from the FAA medical folks stating that due to the urologist report I was eligible for a regular medical, and to return my special issuance medical back to them. If you have any retained stones you will still be able to get a special issuance medical.

I suspect that you may have to do something similar, but not as intensive as I went through. I am not a doctor but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.....

As far as the misdemeanor charge I can't say.

Last edited:
I emailed Dr Bruce and got amazing fast replies. He was very helpful and the recommendation to contact him was the best advice I ever received on a forum.

The problem is that this is is FIRST medical. I have a bad feeling he is NOT going to get approved on the spot no matter what he does, but he should contact a good AME (like Bruce) before he lands in deferral hell.

The problem is that this is is FIRST medical. I have a bad feeling he is NOT going to get approved on the spot no matter what he does, but he should contact a good AME (like Bruce) before he lands in deferral hell.

Good point. From the outside looking in, renewals do appear to be a simpler affair than the first one.

I emailed Dr Bruce and got amazing fast replies. He was very helpful and the recommendation to contact him was the best advice I ever received on a forum.

Good....

Another item to consider. Not every AME is as up to speed or as willing to go the extra steps as Dr. Bruce. So even though you follow his guidance and get all the documentation required and formatted as required, the random AME you select may still create challenges and delays.

So, since this is the first issuance, you might consider travelling to Peoria to have Dr Bruce do the exam. In many cases such as yours, Bruce will do everything he can to get permission from the FAA to issue your certificate before you leave the office.

Other AMEs, not so much. They are likely to not have the time or the clout with FAA medical to make the call to get you issued. So they stuff you into Special Issuance deferral hell, which means you're waiting your turn for your file to be reviewed. Last I heard from Bruce, that's approaching over 100-120 days.

So spending the airline ticket money to go to Peoria might be money well invested in your flying.

The key will be what your records look like from the original episode. If you have evidence the one-and-only stone passed, you'll be fine. If there is some ambiguity, you might need an x-ray. If at all possible, avoid getting a CT scan (Dr. B has probably already told you that). Given that it has been 14 years, this should not pose a problem for you, but be sure to use an AME who knows how to work this in your favor.

Jeff

I could not agree more with the suggestions to engage Dr. Bruce and even consider the trip to Peoria for your initial exam. The cost & time is insignificant for the value that you recieve

And please let us know how it goes - it's a help for the rest of us and for anyone else who might check in with similar questions.

Good luck.

Checking back in with results. I ended up having to go get a KUB x-Ray that showed that I don't currently have any stones. After I got that done I made an appointment with a local AME. I had my appointment today, the AME made a phone call to the regional flight surgeon and I was able to walk out of the office with my medical and student pilot certificate in hand.

Checking back in with results. I ended up having to go get a KUB x-Ray that showed that I don't currently have any stones. After I got that done I made an appointment with a local AME. I had my appointment today, the AME made a phone call to the regional flight surgeon and I was able to walk out of the office with my medical and student pilot certificate in hand.

Stone free is good. Now go fly..!!!

Thanks for giving us your results.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back