Documentation and Reporting, To Much, To Little?

U

Unregistered

Questions, questions and more questions it seems. Planning on going in for my 3rd class medical and student pilot certificate next week but have some concerns before I even think about touching the MedExpress form;

I was diagnosed in my teenage years with a rare genetic condition that causes my body to not produce testosterone. I was placed on on a hormone replacement injections back then and continued these up until last year after I had to switch doctors due to the old one moving out of state. New one asked if my wife and I were interested in attempting to have a child, and said it might be possible even after being told my entire life it would never happen. Bring in the new medication, hCG, and now my body is making it's own testosterone instead of injecting synthetic. Lab results confirm I am at normal reference levels at this time.

On top of this I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism last year and have been on medication for numerous months. Again, lab results confirm I am at normal levels.

In regards to the above, I have PM'ed Dr. Bruce and gotten information that I should be okay in those regards BUT I do not know how much documentation I should have for this when I go into the AME. I have lab work going back to October of 2011 which includes 2 annual physicals, monthly level checks during the transition from the testosterone therapy to the hCG, and my TSH levels. Is this going to be enough to satisfy an AME?

On another note, what qualifies as a doctor visit that needs to be reported and what does not? Fortunately I have records that again, go back to early 2011 which is when I obtained health insurance. Before that I may have gone to a "Minute Clinic" type place once or twice for sinus infections but have no clue as to when it was. My old doctor back home (relocated for work) only needed to see me once a year for labs to confirm I was at a stable level and the last visit to him is way past the 3 year mark.

The AME I am scheduled with has set up a consult first since it will be my first time seeing him but I still want to be as prepared as possible in the hopes that I can simply fill out the form quickly and have him award my medical the same day. May not be possible and I would have to schedule a second appointment but it would be a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

In regards to the above, I have PM'ed Dr. Bruce and gotten information that I should be okay in those regards BUT I do not know how much documentation I should have for this when I go into the AME.
Send Bruce another PM.

On another note, what qualifies as a doctor visit that needs to be reported and what does not? Fortunately I have records that again, go back to early 2011 which is when I obtained health insurance. Before that I may have gone to a "Minute Clinic" type place once or twice for sinus infections but have no clue as to when it was.
You must have paid them somehow -- check your credit card records. If nothing else, just guess the dates, say what it was, and note "approx" on the dates. They really won't fault you for trying on something as minor as a sinus infection.

As I said in the PMs, you need a letter from the endcrinologist summarizing your state for both conditions. He needs to recapitulate how you were discovered, how you were treated, and that you are currently well treated by what measure and are stable.

You could try to document this with just the records. But the records will have 50 million irrelevant things ONE or TWO of which additionally may trigger FAA interest (bad), and you will still need a "current" status letter.

So you can't really avoid going to see the endocrinologist. This means you HAVE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT, to generate the statement PRIOR so you have it for the AME visit.

You ACTUALLY have to go see your endocrinologist. Sorry if I was being too obtuse....

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back