Do you tip FBO line workers?

It’s irrelevant. I wouldn’t take any job where I Didn’t agree that I was getting enough pay without customers giving me extra.
Because you have that much choice as a high schooler/college kid :rolleyes:. I don't think anyone is saying we/they HAVE to be tipped. But it's nice to show appreciation when they've done an acceptable job especially considering how much crap they have to put up with on a daily basis. AND they are expected to take the crap that's dished to them with a smile and gritted teeth - so yeah sometimes a tip is nice and necessary.

While I don't suggest going to the denverpilot school of posting, details in the initial post tend to help tell the story a little better. ;)

Don’t drag me into your rationalization for calling someone a douche without asking any clarifying questions first. :)

It’s irrelevant. I wouldn’t take any job where I Didn’t agree that I was getting enough pay without customers giving me extra.

Its relevant for me, that's why I asked the question. I now know how much weight to give to your opinion about tipping.

Was the Captain fostering a learning experience, or demonstrating superior condescension?

100% condescension. Made comments about the FBO and myself based on my pronunciation of potable alone. He was a jerk the entire time I dealt with him and he wanted every service under the sun. Made sure to follow me around for my parts and tell me too.

Last edited:
Everyone I've asked pronounces it poe tuh bull

But language has changed: online dictionaries pronounce the o as short (i.e. puh-ta-bul).

Both of the online dictionaries I checked pronounce it with a long 'o'.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/potable

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/potable?s=t

Of course, there could be regional differences.

Was the Captain fostering a learning experience, or demonstrating superior condescension?

As the story was told, the captain involved went WAY beyond a simple correction, so I'd vote 'condescension' in his case.

Ok, I’ll take the flames for the Cheap bastards out there.

I don’t understand the concept of tipping people that are making a standard wage, unless they go above and beyond their job.

In this case, the line guys didn’t do anything that was outside their job description. Ok, I might have tipped the guy that offered the car, but if that’s company policy, then he really did nothing he wasn’t already being paid for.

Flame on guys. Tell me about how hard it is to do your job for the pay you agreed on......it’s not my responsibility to make up for your poor negotiating skills or inability to find a job that pays you fairly. You do a good job, I tell your boss, you get a raise, or find a boss that will treat you right.
We tip waiters because it's customary and expected. With line workers, expectations seem to vary.

I think the reason for what you said is because of what @Salty said. We know that most waiters make below minimum wage, just a couple of dollars an hour and the tips supplement that. We know that line workers make a 'standard wage' and that's makes us question whether we should tip them or not or make some reluctant to tip them.

I think the reason for what you said is because of what @Salty said....
That was part of it, but my statement was actually motivated by the variety of opinions expressed by various people in the thread.

Its relevant for me, that's why I asked the question. I now know how much weight to give to your opinion about tipping.
Yep. I’ve never accepted a job and expected more pay than that which was agreed upon, so my opinion is worthless. :D

I don’t think you change your opinion even if I’d been a waiter all my life, which backs up my statement that it’s irrelevant.

Last edited:
I think tipping has gotten ridiculous. Once went to a buffet restaurant where an automatic 10% tip was added to the bill, stated clearly on signs so I knew it was coming. During the meal the "waiter" refilled my drink; other than that it was self serve, obviously. When the bill came I didn't include any additional tip. The guy complained to me; I said, "there is tip automatically included." His response, "None of that goes to me." If that were true, I wouldn't be working there. My real thought was this is a buffet why the hell would I tip anyone here. Its sort of like tipping for carry out, why? Even better stayed at a hotel that had mandatory valet, $60 for two nights and the guy wants a tip after wards. At $30 a day, he better be getting paid more that minimum wage and should I really tip him for not scratching my car? I could have done that myself if there was the option. Now in the OP situation I would probably tip; how much I don't know. Currently I haven't tipped any line worker, but I usually tie down the aircraft myself and spend quite a bit on fuel or aircraft rental. Guess I am the lowest kind of person.

Yep. I’ve never accepted a job and expected more pay than that which was agreed upon, so my opinion is worthless. :D

I don’t think you change your opinion even if I’d been a waiter all my life, which backs up my statement that it’s irrelevant.

If you had been a waiter and didn't tip, I would think you are a dick.
Now I just think that you simply don't know how life is on the other side of a service job.

If you had been a waiter and didn't tip, I would think you are a dick.
Now I just think that you simply don't know how life is on the other side of a service job.
So, I'm right. It's not relevant. Your opinion wouldn't change either way.

@jaymark6655 --
I tip at buffets, since the only ones I go to are Champagne Brunches and the server gets plenty of requests from us :) Also, some of them are combination setup where they will also order from the kitchen if preferred.

As for take away... if it's a "regular" dine in restaurant I tip the person who put the order together for me. That tends increase them getting it right. I get takeout from the same restaurant for lunch every day I'm at the office. They all know my face and name. If I'm picking up from a sandwich shop or the like I ignore the tip jar.

@jaymark6655 --
I tip at buffets, since the only ones I go to are Champagne Brunches and the server gets plenty of requests from us :) ...

Excuse me waiter....

61kdBQ2LaGL._SY550_.jpg

I worked as a lineman for 6 months after graduating college and I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I received a tip. In fact there are only two that stick out
1. A NetJet pilot that gave me $5 for dumping the lav "I used to do that at SeaTac and hated it. Keep up the good work"
2. Bruce Springsteen's pilot gave each of us $50 (thanks for buying my wife and I a Christmas tree as newlyweds!)

My personal opinion unless they are going above and beyond and really busting their hump to get me what I need I probably won't tip. To me tipping has become too rampant and does not serve it's intended purpose if you tip just because.

Said that our FBO's quality was suffering if we can't even pronounce it right. I had -never- heard it as anything but POTable instead of POHtable water. Sue me!

It was always POTable in the Navy.

Back