Do you talk to yourself?

I talk out loud doing acro. I found I would try to rush from one maneuver to the next in a big hurry thinking it would look better but I mismanaged the energy of the plane and would get pretty sloppy. Sometimes the "sloppy" was getting too low, which is simply not acceptable. Just too much adrenaline pumping or something and I'd get a little lost, I guess, mentally. It wasn't ever dangerous, but I don't think any surprise in an airplane is a good one.

Now I read out my altitude aloud, so that I have to look at the dial and interpret (and if this is a challenge it's one hell of a warning sign that I need some straight and level back to the field) and then I read out my airspeed, and then I say what maneuver I'm going to attempt. Only takes two seconds but it really does wonders for situational awareness and also helps me fly more consistently. For example, try to loop while going too slowly makes it either a lot harder (p-factor yawing you like crazy) or simply not possible. I found my flying was starting to get worse when it should have been getting better, and it was just me trying too hard. Slowing down and talking it out sorted it out.

Not that I'm any good, by the way. I give myself plenty of feedback out loud as well - none of which is suitable for a public forum.

I also do the CIGAR and GUMPS out loud if I haven't flown in a while. No idea why, but I just do. Probably also to make sure I focus on what I'm doing, but I never really thought it out.

Back