Do you take video of your flights?

I video my flights, it helps in reviewing radio work and my flying. I enjoy having a record of my flights, and it ties into my blog posts.

On the flip side...

I finally received my video equipment back from NTSB from our accident in June 2018. I had been anxious to see it, to help piece the event together. My bride and I viewed it, together. Now I wish I just let my memory of that day be enough. The actual footage was a bit graphic and the physical injuries somewhat painful to watch, despite knowing the outcome and we are both still here. The audio is what upset me the most, hearing the stress and intensity in our voices was disturbing.

View attachment 81251
I can only imagine how difficult that was to watch.

No camera of any stripe is allowed in the confines of The Lucky Strike or on its surface. Less evidence made means less to burn.

I've done a few flights (and a long taxi) of special things like flying into IAD and the taxi to the Udvar-Hazy center. Otherwise, most of the flights are kind of boring (though it sort of would be neat to have video'd my engine failure). I don't talk enough in flight and don't have the ego to upload everything to YouTube like certain others.

... How many times can you watch an approach and landing? Even watching sandbar landings grew boring after a while.However, I do take photos from the air.

I used others videos to prep for landing Fullerton (KFUL) as well as Catalina/Avalon, Yosemite, and many others over the years (used RunwayFinder.com satellite view also to get an idea of the airport environment before they went TU) ... gives a good idea what to expect visually ... my recorded pooped on Telluride, have seen the airport a million times skiing over the past 25 years, but the approach from the Cones (ETL) VOR was so benign I wish THAT had been on video somewhere.

I video my flights, it helps in reviewing radio work and my flying. I enjoy having a record of my flights, and it ties into my blog posts.

On the flip side...I finally received my video equipment back from NTSB from our accident in June 2018.

Love your videos Gary. Also love FLYM8A in the NY area and several others ... am not a "FlightChops" fan ...

Back