Do you take discover?

D

dhansen

Hey all

Could someone take me through the steps that go into buying a plane? I'm trying to get some background research done for a paper that will in part deal with the recovery of the used aircraft market.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Be more specific- do you mean a used plane, new plane, light-sport or big twin? It varies depending upon where in the market you're aiming.

Also, what's up with the thread title?

Hey all

Could someone take me through the steps that go into buying a plane? I'm trying to get some background research done for a paper that will in part deal with the recovery of the used aircraft market.

Thanks!
A resource to use is this webpage: http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/ownership/

It will talk about types of ownership, the process, and some of the paperwork you need to go through.

Looking into the used owner/operator market primarily. Thanks guys good links!

1) Define your mission. Depending on what you want to do, the plane you'll need to do it varies. This includes distance traveled, weight requirements (people/baggage), speed, weather requirements, etc.

2) Figure out what you can afford. I think a good number of us would go get a Falcon or a King Air if we could, but we can't (I'd get an MU-2). Make sure to include all costs of ownership - remember that purchase price is just what you pay to play. It doesn't take long to spend way more than purchase price on your operating costs.

3) 1 + 2 = 3, figure out what plane you want to buy (the specific type).

4) Find an individual wishing to sell an airplane of that type.

5) Do a thorough pre-buy inspection. Determine what sort of condition the plane is in and whether it is a good option at a fair price. The answer may be no, in which case walk away and look at several others. By this point you should have a clear vision of what you're looking for.

6) Buy the plane, enjoy!

Note that it's more complicated than that, but to me those are the rough steps. You also need to line up financing (assuming you don't purchase the plane outright in cash), find insurance, figure out if you're insurable, get the appropriate training, etc. For me, there's a lot of research and speculation that goes into what I want to buy. Then I look for a beater that I can get a good deal on, as I want to be involved in the repairs myself and take advantage of them being done the way I want. Worked out very well for me on the Aztec.

If done properly, the buying process also includes a lot of paperwork/legal issues. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but if you are, J. Scott Hamilton's "Practical Aviation Law" (ISU Press) covers that stuff, and it's readily available on the internet. Other books which might help include Ron Wattanja's "Airplane Ownership" (McGraw-Hill) and James Ellis' "Buying and Owning Your Own Airplane" (ASA).

Another good book is "Purchasing & Evaluating Airplanes" by Brian Jacobson.

Wells

Back