Do you run?

roflmao chip. ill have a drink for you!

Thanks Kent. I want to stick with it until don't see the old fat guy when I look in the mirror.

I love running noCal trails. There's an amazing variety close to one of the most densely populated cities in the US-15k/sq mi here in the city of St Francis. I've run from the center of the city, across the GG bridge into the Marin headlands, and seen bobcats on the trail. Not too many places in the world where one can do soemthing like that.
I've been running since 9th grade. I'm 47 now-I try to run as little asphault/concrete as possible. I live near golden gate park, so that helps.
My mileage varies-alot. Try to vary hard and easy says, but some weeks I just get in 3 runs. I haven't run for time in about 2 years (that was Chicago Marathon, when I requalified for Boston with about 90 s to spare:hairraise:
Sometimes I'll fly somewhere and go for a long run from the airport. http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q215/SFDukie/Picture167.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q215/SFDukie/Picture180.jpg

Last 10 k was just under 40 mins.

Thanks Kent. I want to stick with it until don't see the old fat guy when I look in the mirror.
Well heck, Chip, there's a much easier way to accomplish THAT. Just get one o' them concave fun house mirrors. Or better yet, just discard the mirrors entirely.

I run a lot. Five or six days a week. It's just a part of training for other things tho. I do two types of training as far as running is concerned. Speed and endurance. On a speed day I run 3 miles. The first half of the second mile is an uphill sprint. The third mile is done at a 3/4 pace. On the endurance days I'll run 5 miles with a 40 lb weight vest. 3 of them over a bridge and back. I wont got into the rest of the stuff I do because were talking about running here, but I will say pakour has piqued my interest. Wouldn't mind incorporating that as well.

Last edited:
When I was a teenager I wrestled, played baseball, and participated in wilderness hiking and camping. To develop wind, I used to run five miles three days a week and 18 miles on Saturday.

The 18 miles was just how the route worked out. There was nothing special about the number. I started from my house in Bush Terminal and then to the 69th Street Pier, then along the bike/running path by the Narrows, then up through Bensonhurst, then along New Utrecht Avenue through Borough Park, and then along the cemetery back to Bush Terminal. I still remember it like it was yesterday... sigh...

Being in that kind of shape made basic training a lot easier, let me tell you. But 30 years later... it's hard to believe what's happened.

I hit bottom when I looked into flying trikes and found that I was too fat. That was a real shocker, as I'd never been too fat or otherwise physically unable to do anything I wanted up until then.

Funny, though, how we find motivation in things like that. I decided to lose weight (as of today, 12 pound so far in a month's time; you can read more here if you're really interested), and I'm doing fast walking and bike riding.

Running is something I have to work up to because of an old ankle injury. I've run since the injury (even did a marathon once), but at this point I have to strengthen the ankle muscles first before starting to run again.

Congratulations to you for your progress, though. Keep up the good work!

Rich

When I was a teenager I wrestled, played baseball, and participated in wilderness hiking and camping. To develop wind, I used to run five miles three days a week and 18 miles on Saturday.

The 18 miles was just how the route worked out. There was nothing special about the number. I started from my house in Bush Terminal and then to the 69th Street Pier, then along the bike/running path by the Narrows, then up through Bensonhurst, then along New Utrecht Avenue through Borough Park, and then along the cemetery back to Bush Terminal. I still remember it like it was yesterday... sigh...

Being in that kind of shape made basic training a lot easier, let me tell you. But 30 years later... it's hard to believe what's happened.

I hit bottom when I looked into flying trikes and found that I was too fat. That was a real shocker, as I'd never been too fat or otherwise physically unable to do anything I wanted up until then.

Funny, though, how we find motivation in things like that. I decided to lose weight (as of today, 12 pound so far in a month's time; you can read more here if you're really interested), and I'm doing fast walking and bike riding.

Running is something I have to work up to because of an old ankle injury. I've run since the injury (even did a marathon once), but at this point I have to strengthen the ankle muscles first before starting to run again.

Congratulations to you for your progress, though. Keep up the good work!

Rich

Rich Thats awesome!! Stay at it man!!

Hmmm. Looks like I'm not authorized to look at it.

Aaaaarghh...

Okay, it's fixed now. Thanks for the heads up.

This is the first time I've used this board software, and it turns out there's a quirk that I didn't know about. In each category on the admin panel, the administrator can select which users are able to view the boards. I selected all of the groups.

The problem is that guests don't belong to a group, and therefore can't view the boards if all the groups are selected. I never noticed it because I'm always logged in.

The cure, odd as it seems, is to de-select all the groups and re-save the settings. De-selecting all the groups allows all of the groups, as well as guests, to see the boards.

Kind of a backwards way to do things, in my opinion; but hey, it is what it is.

Thanks again,

Rich

Don't worry Richard, it will start to show soon. You'll get to wear things that have hung in your closet for a while. Keep it up!

I run about 25-30 miles a week. There are alot of trails in Lincoln, mostly old rail lines converted to bike trails. I lost 50 lbs in 9 months in 2003-2004 by starting slow (6 miles a week) and building up to my current regimen.

I've since run 4 marathons.

I've never had an appetite for running. It's just not my bag. No real sense of speed, and it takes you all day to run 20+ miles. Hiking and "mountaineering" (my lame attempt at walking up big objects) do satisfy my bipedal desires, though.

I like my bicycle. I can spin out a flat century in 6.5 hours, or a hilly one in an easy 8. I'm looking to train up for the Boston-Montreal-Boston in 2009, as I'm not sure I can maintain a 10mph pace over 750 miles and a solid 30,000' of climbing. Plus, I packed on 35 more pounds travelling last winter (for work) and not being on the bike...

Cheers,

-Andrew

I like my bicycle. I can spin out a flat century in 6.5 hours, or a hilly one in an easy 8. I'm looking to train up for the Boston-Montreal-Boston in 2009, as I'm not sure I can maintain a 10mph pace over 750 miles and a solid 30,000' of climbing. Plus, I packed on 35 more pounds travelling last winter (for work) and not being on the bike...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Wow.

Someone gave me a road bike (Nishiki) last year. I would like to learn to ride it, but haven't put a lot of time into it. Was just in Montreal last week...I miss the food.

My lady and I biked from the Lower East Side to Coney Island and back a few weeks ago. About a 40 mile ride. I realized halfway through that my face was hurting. It was from smiling. When I was a kid I would ride my bikes everywhere (of course they were airplanes to me back then). That ride really did bring back some memories!

When I started my regimen, I wanted to bike but I am really lazy.... and biking was too slow for me for weight loss so I decided to run instead.

On to biking....

I'm taking the opportunity while I recover from a shin splint to do more weight training and am riding my bike again. I had to dig it out from under about five years of junk. It's the only bike I've owned as an adult, a Cannoldale Jekyll, which I like OK except for the lefty fork - but that's a different story.

I'm riding 20 - 25 miles / day on the road and not much off road. On the road I feel like I'm riding a kid's bike so I'm thinking about buying a good tourning bike. Any thoughts?

I have been running for about 20 years. In the beginning, it was for fitness. Then I started doing triathlons and marathons about 6 years ago. I have done about 15 marathons including Boston (5 times) and Chicago (twice.) I am not sure if I am going to do Boston this year or not. I try and run about 35-40 miles a week for base training and pick it up to 55-65 for a marathon.

Hello? Come in Manilla. Rock your wings, rock 'em good.

Fit is most important. Find a good bike shop that can do a proper fit and that's got a variety of bikes to try and see what works best for you. Trek, etc. They are all good bikes and not differentiated enough to say pick one over the other.

Good luck,
Sam

My bike (Nishiki) was given to me by someone cleaning out their pile of junk. It's a touring bike. It's green. I took it to REI for a tune-up and advice...I am picking it up today.

People have told me that the right bike makes all the difference. But, how does one figure that out? Maybe the shops let you test drive? I was skeptical about the right equipment making any difference, but have found it to be true with skis.

And THAT is everything I know about bicycles.

Been away from bicycles far too long to know what is current. I still ride my Cannondale T700 triple chainring touring bike.

As someone else said, go for fit, and I'd add go for a triple chainring bike, and good wheels seem to make the most difference in the feel and responsiveness of a bike.

A seperate post asking about bike advice will likely bring out good opinions from andrew and other serious push bikers.

I love riding. Singletrack, XC and DH.

Specialized Stumpjumper
rockhopper
and Allez for the road.

I love riding. Singletrack, XC and DH.

Specialized Stumpjumper
rockhopper
and Allez for the road.

Picked up my bike from REI. They tuned it, said it was a good bike for it's era. It still has lever shifters, as opposed to the new push buttons.

I guess I have a true touring bike. It has a longer wheel base, so I can't turn quite as sharply. I didn't think that was going to be a problem. :D

They said the same thing as Bill, new tires would be good. But, they did say it was raceable.

Back