Do you practice Go arounds

I 'practice' go-arounds all the time... Invariably I screw up a landing and have push the power in....

I don't specifically practice go a rounds, I practice landings. Do enough, and some go astounds will happen . . . If not, visit a new airport for a few landings.

I do all of my air work to commercial standards. Power off 180's are frequent to my flights as well. I'll give the 'go around once the wheels are down' a try.

My CFI years ago was scenario based, and LOVED those go-around after mains down callout. I hated them as we were in the 152, at HIGH DA, usually had some crosswind and thought it was wonderful if we were able to get 150 FPM climb.

My scariest one involved heat, high winds, high DA, mid afternoon, 152 with CFI on board at a field that has a narrow runway. He called a go-around, which I executed, but MAN that plane did not want to climb and those power lines just past departure end loomed large .... starts you thinking "over or under".:eek:

He was a great instructor .... also forced me to land with a tailwind (not huge). For fun we asked and received simulated light gun signals from the tower (they indicated they needed the practice as well) and flew the 152 using trim, doors and power only all the way to short final.

I have not practice go arounds since my last flight with my CFI in Aug during my flight review.

I think I should practice them once in awhile. My biggest fear is if and when I have to do a real go around, I put the flaps all the way up and not in 10 degree increments. I face plant it into the ground If I'm low to the ground. :yikes:

I have done a go-around once at the Class D airport I am training at. It was during a solo, cleared to land and on final at 300 feet, ATC cleared another plane to take-off. I pointed out the mistake and ATC asked me to fly parallel to the runway at 700feet. Well at 300 feet, I had to do a go-around and climb and maintain 700 feet. After that I think I have done it once at another airport since I felt I was too high. So it is good to just keep your skills intact when you need it.

I learned to fly on a 1900 ft runway. Did sooo many go arounds (necessary as well as practice) that it became second nature. That said, as a result of that confidence I haven't practiced them in awhile. Think I'll get some practice in after my 172 comes out of annual next week.

Had to do a go-around on my very first solo landing because someone taxied their aircraft right on the numbers while I was on final.

On my own, never, do really go missed much.

However every 6mo I do a ride with a few missed go arounds, one raw, one fully coupled.

Tim, I can appreciate your sincere concern for safety, and I agree that landing practice should normally be to full stops to practice the slow deliberate lowering of the nosewheel and braking while staying on centerline.
However, if you can consider a quick touchdown and immediate liftoff as a go-around, I would appeal to your concern for safety to add this practice.
It can happen: a botched landing, a flock of deer, use your imagination.

I mean full throttle as the mains touch with the nose still high and full flaps.
That is when the airplane needs maximum pilot control input and should be practiced by every certificate holder who carries pax.

I think a go-around at the last critical moment is more likely than an engine failure .

You won't get an argument out of me on that one. But what you're referring to is an emergency go around, "botched landing, herd of deer, etc." That's a tool that needs to be in every proficient pilot's toolbox.

But, practicing for those events is a far cry from mindlessly pounding out "slam and goes" in the pattern which, IMO, teach next to nothing about landing an aircraft.

As a general rule, you need to practice the things that you do the least. Therefore, go arounds would be on the list.

FWIW, go arounds are a big deal in airline training environments. Every landing is a go around and every approach is a missed approach until otherwise proven.

Back