Do You Pitch Up First For Best Glide?

Even a 172 has a 45 - 55 knot difference, depending on the horsepower.
Even if this were true. Speed bleeds off rapidly without power if holding altitude. Once the oh **** moment was finished there wouldn't be much left between your speed and best glide.

Runner up: ME! correct and accurate are not synonyms.
I think you mean precise and accurate. Otherwise I need a new dictionary. ;)

Nauga,
who would rather be approximately correct than precisely wrong.

And the 2017 Trophy for overly literal reply goes to @denverpilot

Runner up: ME! correct and accurate are not synonyms.

Use many analog clocks anymore? You’re just showing your age, old man! LOL. (No worries, me too.)

The analog clocks in the house are slowly being replaced by clocks that set themselves from something. Whether it’s WWV or NTP I don’t care. Setting clocks is a pain in the ass best left to the annals of history.

Even the stupid expensive and mostly useless Garmin watch sets itself from GPS at least! LOL.

P.S. ... says the guy who is too cheap to replace the IFR required analog crappy clock in his airplane. Hell, the GPS goes in soon, so that thing will be quite happily ignored forever other than as a battery drainer in winter. LOL.

Okay. No. I won’t ignore it. My usual habit is to set the little red hands on it as a fuel use reminder. Because. I’m old. Hahaha.

P.P.S. I went outside and threw a baseball as hard as I could straight up in the air, and it didn’t appear to establish best glide.

Just to keep the thread — literally — on topic. :)

P.P.S. I went outside and threw a baseball as hard as I could straight up in the air, and it didn’t appear to establish best glide.
If you through it high enough and it comes straight down without spinning it will. ;)

Nauga,
and terminal velocity

Best glide in a 172 is 79 KIAS, isn't it? I've never seen a 134-knot 172! :eek:
I've never seen a 172 with a 79 KIAS best glide speed. The ones I've flown were either 65 or 68 depending on whether they were the old ones or the new ones.

65 IIRC, maybe the restarts are faster. Anyway cruise was what? 95 indicated on a good day?
I was a little off because I forgot to convert from true airspeed to indicated airspeed. On the pre-1980 172s that I've flown, I usually got about 110 kts true, which at 5000 feet on a standard day converts to 102 kts indicated. So 102 - 65 gives a difference of 37 knots.

I was a little off because I forgot to convert from true airspeed to indicated airspeed. On the pre-1980 172s that I've flown, I usually got about 110 kts true, which at 5000 feet on a standard day converts to 102 kts indicated. So 102 - 65 gives a difference of 37 knots.

Does your calculation of indicated speeds include the adjustment in the Calibrated Airspeed table in the POH? (Poke... poke... hahah...) :)

Does your calculation of indicated speeds include the adjustment in the Calibrated Airspeed table in the POH? (Poke... poke... hahah...) :)
I looked at the table, but the corrections looked pretty minor for the no flap case. In order to use it, would I treat the indicated airspeed from the online calculator as calibrated airspeed and then use the table to convert that to indicated airspeed?

I looked at the table, but the corrections looked pretty minor for the no flap case. In order to use it, would I treat the indicated airspeed from the online calculator as calibrated airspeed and then use the table to convert that to indicated airspeed?

I’m just messing with you. Calibrated is what the ASI will show in the cockpit. :)

I’m just messing with you. Calibrated is what the ASI will show in the cockpit. :)
OK, now I'm really confused. If calibrated airspeed is what the airspeed indicator shows, what's the meaning of the term "indicated airspeed"?

...what's the meaning of the term "indicated airspeed"?
To the purist (and flight test engineer) it's what you read on the gauge (observed airspeed) corrected for instrument error and parallax. :D

observed->(instrument and reading corrections)->indicated->(source error correction)->calibrated->(compressibility corrections)->equivalent->(density correction)->true->(wind)->ground

Most everyone in GA skips observed and equivalent...for (usually) valid reasons.

edit: There's also "advertised airspeed," which is usually your buddy's TAS + 5-10 knots :rolleyes:

Nauga,
pneumatically

CFR 1.1:

Indicated airspeed means the speed of an aircraft as shown on its pitot static airspeed indicator calibrated to reflect standard atmosphere adiabatic compressible flow at sea level uncorrected for airspeed system errors.

IOW, it’s what you read on the instrument. Maybe confusing things is that the colored airspeed arcs in modern planes are calibrated airspeeds.

To the purist (and flight test engineer) it's what you read on the gauge (observed airspeed) corrected for instrument error and parallax. :D

observed->(instrument and reading corrections)->indicated->(source error correction)->calibrated->(compressibility corrections)->equivalent->(density correction)->true->(wind)->ground

Most everyone in GA skips observed and equivalent...for (usually) valid reasons.

edit: There's also "advertised airspeed," which is usually your buddy's TAS + 5-10 knots :rolleyes:

Nauga,
pneumatically

See? I told ya I was messing with ya, @Palmpilot@nauga just dropped the mic on airspeeds. Haha.

There’s always more to it than meets the eye... well, unless the eye is looking at the ASI or an aerodynamics book anyway. :)

Nauga,
pneumatically

<Sung to the Music for David Allan Coe "You Never Even Called Me by My Name>

I was calculating all of this, as my engine failed and I came up with the CORRECT glide speed :p... unfortunately, I didn't get very far into the emergency flow and ended up landing inverted on the only treadmill in the region ... but it all worked out as it was a HIGH wing TAIL DRAGGER, and I maintained approach well using my AOA upside down, leaning forward, LOP. Does this count as a GEAR UP landing?:rolleyes::eek:

;)

Back