Do you have personal minimums related to other pilots with whom you would ride?

I don't mean to one up eveyone in the tough guy act but I will say I just finished my 2nd month of workouts at the private workout center near my office and I officially upgraded to Level 2 "Ladies intermediate" workouts.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

My first solo charter this afternoon I had one of the passengers ask me if I was "old enough to fly this thing" my answer of "barely" solicited a groan and a sigh.

If we ever have the chance to go flying together, I will probably have to ask you the same thing, but only because I find it hilarious in an ironic way. (Yes, you are young, but you have a ton of time and great training-- much more than I-- plus demonstrated grace under presure of an in-flight fire.)

Everyone thinks they are tough (including me), until they start crying. :rofl:

My favorite times instructing hand to hand were when the new cops would come into class, and I got to say "OK, detain me," and they end up on the floor. "Oh you mean they didn't prepare you for that with your academy training?" Always a good time.

I would love to watch that some time. As I recall, you don't appear particularly large or imposing. So it must be fun watching their faces as they come to realize appearances can be deceiving.

I don't mean to one up eveyone in the tough guy act but I will say I just finished my 2nd month of workouts at the private workout center near my office and I officially upgraded to Level 2 "Ladies intermediate" workouts.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

I once at a bowl of nails for breakfast.....without any milk.

PS - do you have FB 6PC

If we ever have the chance to go flying together, I will probably have to ask you the same thing, but only because I find it hilarious in an ironic way. (Yes, you are young, but you have a ton of time and great training-- much more than I-- plus demonstrated grace under presure of an in-flight fire.)

There wasn't any fire, just a lot of smoke. I (at the time) thought there was however.

Where are you based?

Do you have personal minimums related to other pilots with whom you would ride?

There's only been three times that I was truly concerned for my life in a small airplane.

Once was when an architect friend flew me from Springfield to KC so I could pick up a 911.

Once was when a friend who was the editor of a small town newspaper flew me to a town 100 miles away to fetch my plane.

Once was when I flew with a graphic designer friend to a fly-in.

So while I'm confident that 99.99% of right-brainers are perfectly safe pilots, I think I'll pass.

Just like I'm sure 99.99% of redheads are sane, but the two I dated sure weren't. Great in bed though! :)

I would love to watch that some time. As I recall, you don't appear particularly large or imposing. So it must be fun watching their faces as they come to realize appearances can be deceiving.

Especially the ones that outweighed me by 100+lbs. The one who came in with the biggest "I'm a badass" attitude ended up crying the most. Not tears, but just always complaining that we were too rough with him. And conversely I've been handled by guys smaller than me as well of course they had been doing their training for thirty plus years, too.

There's only been three times that I was truly concerned for my life in a small airplane.

Once was when an architect friend flew me from Springfield to KC so I could pick up a 911.

Once was when a friend who was the editor of a small town newspaper flew me to a town 100 miles away to fetch my plane.

Once was when I flew with a graphic designer friend to a fly-in.

So while I'm confident that 99.99% of right-brainers are perfectly safe pilots, I think I'll pass.

Just like I'm sure 99.99% of redheads are sane, but the two I dated sure weren't. Great in bed though! :)

This is the funniest thing I have read all day.:rofl:

typically scares the hell out of me, didn't you see my white knuckles? :D

If I've decided I'll ride or fly with someone (which isn't guaranteed- they need to exhibit good judgment elsewhere first), they get about one trip around the pattern (or to lunch, if we're in a car) to prove themselves trustworthy. Once they have gained my trust, I <mostly> don't worry again.

I remember one business trip where the driver (who owned the car) couldn't talk to any of the passengers in the car without staring directly at them. So we're driving down the interstate and he's craning around to talk to people in the back seat. I was petrified. I warned everyone I knew who I thought might ever have the opportunity to ride with the guy. Just plain scary.

There wasn't any fire, just a lot of smoke. I (at the time) thought there was however.

Where are you based?

KEYE. On second thought, I won't have to ask you, as I have essentially done so now with my post. Perhaps only to my own amusement, but oh, well. But I'd still go flying with you.

Last edited:
There are pilots who I have flown with that have 50 hours and I felt perfectly safe. There are pilots I have flown with who had 5,000 hours and I was terrified.

Not flying with someone because they don't have x amount of hours is kinda silly. Assuming someone is safe because they have whatever amount of hours you deem acceptable is equally silly.

Yep. Using aircraft checkouts I've given as an example, one of the best performers I've had was a 70 hour Private Pilot in Gliders/Airplanes and one of the worst was a 400 hour Private Pilot. Quality>Quantity.

One of the most pucker inducing flights I've ever been on was sitting in the backseat with two newbie CFI's in the front.

It all really depends on the situation, but I generally don't like to be in the back of airplanes anymore.

Hehe Sound's about right ;)

I remember one business trip where the driver (who owned the car) couldn't talk to any of the passengers in the car without staring directly at them. So we're driving down the interstate and he's craning around to talk to people in the back seat. I was petrified. I warned everyone I knew who I thought might ever have the opportunity to ride with the guy. Just plain scary.

I've got a co-worker like that. We all know he's a crappy driver, but he has no clue. He lives on Long Island, and last Dec he totalled a car. Replaced it, and wrecked that one in Feb. Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, but jeezalou, don't let him get behind the wheel.:wink2:

Back