Do you give your friends "free" rides?

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
I remember reading a story about a new private pilot who claimed to be going broke giving rides to his friends. He finally had to start saying no, I can't afford it.

I have a waiting list for people who want me to take them up just as soon as I get my ticket in a few weeks. I'm wondering how you guys handle this.

John

Really, if someone offers up thier pro-rata share, i'll accept it with open arms. This hobby is not cheap, and i'll take all the help I can legally get. I never demand they pay for thier portion of the expenses. I fly on a "donations accepted" basis. The way I look at it, I'm going to fly anyways, so if someone else wants to tag along and even better, finance a portion of the sortie, then good on 'em, but I will not demand compensation. For instance, I have a friend who wanted to fly down to Homer for lunch. I said "okie dokie" and planned the flight. He said to just let him know how much it would cost him. I just told him no more than half the cost of the rental there and back, but that he was in no way obligated to give me anything. Too bad the WX is crap here and we had to CANX 'cause that was going to be a good 3 hrs of sight seeing cross country lunch getting flying. Maybe next week.

Last edited:
Some folks are worth giving free rides <g>. I think you'll find several folks on this board that have ridden with me. BTW, only top caliber folks, best of the best, etc.

Yes, it can get out of control if you let it, but it can be a lot of fun when you can afford it and want good company.

Best,

Dave

I give rides if I can afford it. If a friend offers to pay a share (I don't ask), then that may make a flight more likely.

Otherwise, I just say I'm not able to give a ride at the moment.

I give rides if I can afford it. If a friend offers to pay a share (I don't ask), then that may make a flight more likely.

Otherwise, I just say I'm not able to give a ride at the moment.

This is what I do as well. Even just picking up the lunch bill vastly improves their odds of catching a ride again in the future. Then again, I'm a simple creature.

I have essentially stopped "giving rides" in my plane. Just a handful of people get access to my airplane. It's simply not worth it considering the liability and our ever increasing litigious society.

Have fun doing it, just be careful who you give access.

You'll find quite a few of those friends are interested right up to the point that you say "sure, let's go to the airport right now" then they suddenly have something more important to do even if they just told you that they're bored out of their mind and have nothing to do for a week.

Generic people that are just casual friends or less: No. Way too much hassle.
Good friends can go with me if I'm not up to something specific and just doing something routine or if we plan something together.
Training flights: just me and in the instructor.
Currency or proficiency flying: just me, not even other pilots.
Flights with a very specific range of adventure purposes: just me because everyone else gets all whiney about the fun stuff.

If I can afford to fly, I can afford to take some one with me.

I never charge them, but I always get some from it.

I do give a few people rides, but I never accept money from them even if they offer.

This is due to the Mark Strub accident, and the issues he ran into with the FAA after accepting only $8 from a passenger.

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2008/accident0807.html

Only accept the monetary share AFTER a successful finish to the flight...

(you're right, though, the Strub accident is a wake-up call to the possible repercussions).

This is what I do as well. Even just picking up the lunch bill vastly improves their odds of catching a ride again in the future. Then again, I'm a simple creature.

For non-pilots, that is close to what I do. I never ask for a share of the cost, but if they offer, I usually say "You buy lunch and we'll call it square." I've never had anyone balk at that.

I do give a few people rides, but I never accept money from them even if they offer.

This is due to the Mark Strub accident, and the issues he ran into with the FAA after accepting only $8 from a passenger.

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2008/accident0807.html

Even the balloon festival organization was being sued. It's the typical case of plaintifs going for anything they can possibly get, anyway their lawyers can get it. The fact that he took a measely $8 wouldn't have changed that scenario.

I'm not a pilot yet. The one thing holding me back is money, so I've thought about this issue a lot.

What I've decided to do is let any of my friends/family that want a ride have one for free. After that, if they want to fly, they have to pay their share.

I hate to ask for money from people, I really do. Especially to fly, as aviation is something I LOVE to share with people, but $$$ is the one thing that's separating me from my future career.

I eat Ramen instead of eating out, so I can put another $5 in the PPL-H fund. When I'm in a position where I don't have to do that anymore, I probably won't ask pax to pay in.

If I'm going on a trip somewhere "which 99% of mine are" and I always split the cost up between the amount of folks going. To me, it's expensive to fly period and if they want to enjoy the extras by "flying" then I have them pay. For 12 years I've done this after about a year of me always paying and people riding for free. I split the plan up and it just helps make more trips when I look at my pocket book.

Again....as you can see there are numerous other ways...but flying is not cheap and it helps keep me current when I split it up!

Mike

I do the same as many of the posts above, I take good friends along with me if I am just running somewhere for the afternoon and figure I am going I might aswell have someone to talk to. I give an in ordinate amount of glider rides to many of my friends and coworkers, I dont ask for money but if they offer to split the cost of the tow, then I don't complain. I would say I get lunch more often than not.

I give 'em all rides for free. It's very rare that anyone offers to pay, and I never ask.

Why? Well, a few reasons.

1) I'd really like it if some of them became pilots - We're a small and shrinking group and I'd hate to see what this game will be like in 30-40 more years if we don't decisively reverse that trend.

2) Even if they don't become pilots, they'll become more friendly to GA. I make sure that they're comfortable and have a great time, and I may even talk about the silliness of security theater, stadium TFR's, and other issues of the day so that we have a few more allies in the fight to keep our GA system the best in the world.

3) It's my way of "paying it forward." I have given a LOT of free rides to people, and most have been their first time in a GA airplane, and I absolutely love doing it. But I've received a lot of free rides and instruction as well. I've flown three (!) of Chip's airplanes, Dr. Bruce's Seneca, Dave's P-Baron, Ed Guthrie's Mooney, Steve's IAR, Lance's Baron, and others. (Big THANKS to you all! :yes:) Sharing the joy and utility of flight only makes it better. Someday, hopefully I'll own a cool airplane so people will want to fly with me at Gaston's. :smile: Until then, I'm going to keep giving anyone who wants a ride, the best ride I can give them, and not ask for any money at all. After all, if they hadn't asked for a ride, I probably wouldn't have gone flying, so they've given me some enjoyment as well. :yes:

Even the balloon festival organization was being sued. It's the typical case of plaintifs going for anything they can possibly get, anyway their lawyers can get it. The fact that he took a measely $8 wouldn't have changed that scenario.

As noted above, we need to keep the spirit of flight alive. Mine began as a ramp rat in the Mojave doing about anything for a ride in a plane. Today, kids can yell their request through an 8-foot chain link fence. Forget wondering the T hangers and stumbling onto a hanger cookout.

<standing on soapbox>

The first rule in spotting a scam is to just follow the money. Why was the balloon festival named in the lawsuit? Because they have more money than the pilot does. Once they tap out his insurance, sell off his home, take half of his future earnings, get his retirement and empty his children’s college funds the lawyers will take their 30%. It’s called casting a wide net.

You cannot have a very litigious society without copious amounts of lawyers.

As I type this we have a great example of how “Justice” is being sought by the law offices of “Dewy, Screw’m & How”. If the four side rails are left in the up position on our hospital beds it is considered a physical restraint no different than if the patient were tied to the bed. Leave one down and grandma rolls out of bed, that’s neglect and you get sued. The local nursing home invested in gym mats to be placed at the bedside of their patients since they cannot lift the rails at night for their dementia and Alzheimer’s patients. A family member stumbled on the mat twisting their ankle. The sprain was so severe that the family member was able to walk out of the facility to their car, drive across town, and walk into the local ambulance chaser’s office.

Now ask why medicine is so expensive. The facilities need to have a stable of layers on retainer ready for battle.

For those on this board who are lawyers you have my most sincere apologies for the 99% in your profession giving you a bad name.

Follow the money. :mad3:

<off soapbox>

I give 'em all rides for free. It's very rare that anyone offers to pay, and I never ask.

1) I'd really like it if some of them became pilots - We're a small and shrinking group and I'd hate to see what this game will be like in 30-40 more years if we don't decisively reverse that trend.

2) Even if they don't become pilots, they'll become more friendly to GA. I make sure that they're comfortable and have a great time, and I may even talk about the silliness of security theater, stadium TFR's, and other issues of the day so that we have a few more allies in the fight to keep our GA system the best in the world.

3) It's my way of "paying it forward." I have given a LOT of free rides to people, and most have been their first time in a GA airplane, and I absolutely love doing it. But I've received a lot of free rides and instruction as well. I've flown three (!) of Chip's airplanes, Dr. Bruce's Seneca, Dave's P-Baron, Ed Guthrie's Mooney, Steve's IAR, Lance's Baron, and others. (Big THANKS to you all! :yes:) Sharing the joy and utility of flight only makes it better. Someday, hopefully I'll own a cool airplane so people will want to fly with me at Gaston's. :smile: Until then, I'm going to keep giving anyone who wants a ride, the best ride I can give them, and not ask for any money at all. After all, if they hadn't asked for a ride, I probably wouldn't have gone flying, so they've given me some enjoyment as well. :yes:

Kent, I feel exactly the same way. :yes: Thank you for explaining it better than I could. :)

I look for any excuse to fly. I'll give a local flight to anyone I know.

Yes, I have never taken a dime for given someone a ride. If I was taking a trip and someone wanted to pay their prorated share, I wouldn't pass it up. And for free rides, I don't think there is anyone on this board that has given more free rides than Diana, and her rides are worth paying big bucks for. :smile:

Kent summed it up nicely! A motto I have adapted is " You fly, I'll buy lunch" abd vica-versa.

For local rides, I give them freely and don't ask for anything in return (although I'll take lunch/money if offered). If someone comes along with me on a trip, a contribution to the fuel fund is appreciated, but never demanded (although I rarely have passengers on trips). I agree with Kent, taking people up flying helps promote a positive impression of GA, which is always good.

My policy is I fly you buy, (food that is ) usually people offer ahead of time.

If money wasn't such and issue for me I would never accept a dime. But its the only way I can get any flying in. My friends will sometimes say that they can't go because they have no money but I always tell them don't worry about it,just get in. Its nice to have some help with the cost, works great for everyone. Everyone gets twice as much time in the air. I just need a six seat plane for $95/hr

I give rides to anyone that wants one. I fly alone a lot but its nice to have company and introduce people to GA.

Never charge, never accept on the first offer either. If they insist though, it goes to pay for the flight. I would rather take someone flying free of charge than to have them miss out because they think they can't afford it. And maybe they're the next pilot.
It's never free for me but then, neither is giving someone a ride in the car. I get a couple of hours out of it, they get a nice air tour. It works out.

I give rides to anyone that wants one. I fly alone a lot but its nice to have company and introduce people to GA.

I'm the same. I try to go for a joyride every week, on Thursday or Friday morning, depending on weather. If someone shows up, they can come along. I would be up there anyway. A good friend of mine is retired also, and I call him up quite often and he comes along if I don't have anyone else to fly with. I would guess that I've probably drank enough of his beer over the last thirty years that I'm still way ahead. I also take my daughter's friends up flying once in a while. Flying is my thing, and I don't try to get anyone to pay anything. If I were younger, and scraping to fly, I might try to get people to pro-rate with me, but that's not the case for me right now.

More often than not, if anyone rides with me it's for free. Exceptions are lengthy trips with a true common purpose such as when 2-4 of us fly to a ski tournament or something like a trip to AirVenture. Those trips are generally with good friends who are willing (and likely to offer) to share the cost. For an "intro to GA flight" I never charge or accept anything.

I love taking people flying. If someone is interested in my passion then it is a heck of a lot of fun for me to let them experience it too. That's the point of the matter for me.

Sometimes I end up splitting expenses and sometimes not. I don't go looking for it though.

I never charge anyone, although would not turn down a free lunch. I feel fortunate to be able to own both a Baron as well as an Extra, and when I got them I made two commitments- never charge anyone for a ride, and never perform in an airshow.

Rides given without expectation of payback, but expense sharing nearly always offered by riders, occasionally accepted.

Early in my Bo flying era, I took a couple of guys for a ride to lunch, and each offered to cover a proportionate share of expenses (one was a pilot, and went to great lengths to explain to the other, who offered to pay the whole cost, why it could only be proportionate). The non-pilot then wrote a check, and suddenly, it did not feel as fun.

Joint trips to business-related destinations are different; proportionate share readily accepted.

I never charge anyone, although would not turn down a free lunch. I feel fortunate to be able to own both a Baron as well as an Extra, and when I got them I made two commitments- never charge anyone for a ride, and never perform in an airshow.

I'll buy ya lunch! :yes:

Kent: I agree with you 100%. That's what I do too.

If I'm going to fly just for the fun of it, I'll take anyone up for free. I've even made "special" flight time just for children, or someone who is really interested in flying.

Other times for instance: I work with a certain entertainment organization which also uses photographers and such. We all get paid a set amount for our travel expenses, which never really cover mine if I fly. Sometimes others will want to join me on the flight to save time. In that case we share the expenses equally. I look at it as, "Why am I going to lose money, and they make money for traveling with me". After we arrive safe and sound, all actual expenses are added up and each passenger pitches in his share.

Don't think that just because you don't ask someone to pitch in a share, that the family won't sue your butt if something happens to them during the flight.

Back