Do you download the FF Business Directory?

Do you download FF Business Directory?

• Yes

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes, but I've never used it

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
I just noticed this feature. I've never used it, and probably won't so I disabled it.
Anyone use this feature?

Update all the time,like the feature.

I don't think it is. ...? I think its more like FBO Advertising but not sure.

from Foreflight web site:
https://www.foreflight.com/directory/

Doesn't sound like anything I'd use. I think I'll uncheck the data base.

Last edited:
I think it is where you get the gas prices. It is updated weekly. The navigation stuff is updated a lot less often.

When I needed the phone number for the FBO where I had parked my plane, I pulled out my ipad, selected airports, then I clicked FBOs, and I immediately found the phone number. It was a big help.

As for the paid advertising, I think that's a small part of it, and it isn't bad. For example, try KSUS, which is a big GA airport near St. Louis. Atop the list there's a colorful ad for TAC Air, followed by the usual less flashy listings for the other FBOs.

I thought the fuel,prices came from some web data base?

I thought the fuel,prices came from some web data base?

I think that's true for radar. You've got to have an internet connection to view the radar. Satellite images of clouds, too.

But FF shows the gas prices even when you don't have an internet connection, so they must be in one of the downloads. Looking through the list of downloads, the only ones that look like they could have gas prices might be Airport Database and Business Directory. But Airport Database is updated only about once a month, and gas prices are updated in FF more often than that, so it can't be Airport Database. So, that's why I think the gas prices are in Business Directory, which I think is updated weekly.

Last edited:
In download tab, right swipe on the business directory line. A red "delete" symbol appears on the right

Deleted would have been a better word than "disabled", sorry

Thanks.

Well, as a test, I tried deleting the Business Directory download. But I still see stuff that I thought was part of it -- the gas prices on the map, and the directory of FBOs on a field. So now I just don't know what it is.

I've wondered about the Business Directory myself, but it never seemed intrusive enough to worry about. I'm sure that FF support would provide an answer. Perhaps it only contains larger graphic ads for businesses, as opposed to selling the listings outright. A model where everyone has to pay to be in the directory would make the directory much less useful to pilots.

I also hope that they don't start editing or censoring comments associated with paid advertisers, similar to how a certain web-based AirNavigation-type website does. If they're selling advertising space, they're going to get that kind of pressure, but such censorship makes the user comments section practically useless.

JKG

As mentioned in the 2 previous posts, I'm not sure exactly what is included in the business directory. I tend to think it's only the paid display type listings from FBO's, car rental's, etc. (based on the pics from the FF web link in post #4). I don't see a reason to download this info.

I do download it, although I've never consciously used it. It's my impression that the entries come up automatically when you select one of the subscribing businesses via the FBO, Restaurant, or other information tabs in the Airports page, although I don't think I've tripped over one yet. Since it is only a few megabytes out of the several gigabytes that FF occupies, I don't see any point in disabling its download unless you're really, really strapped for storage space.

I noticed ForeFlight has it listed under "required downloads" :rolleyes:

Probably so they can tell advertisers "this will be seen by number Foreflight users arriving at your location! so more $$$

Thanks.

Well, as a test, I tried deleting the Business Directory download. But I still see stuff that I thought was part of it -- the gas prices on the map, and the directory of FBOs on a field. So now I just don't know what it is.

Did you try deleting the download, then accessing the same information with your iDevice in Airplane Mode? ForeFlight will use the Internet connection as needed to pull down any data not residing on the device.

Back