Do you carry a handheld radio?

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
I've got a big fancy Warrior that is equipped with two questionable flip flop radios, that for the most part, serve me well. They have, more than a few times, refused to cooperate with me. It seems they have picked up on my stubbornness.

I have been able to foil their scheming ways, by breaking out my handheld radio, which I always have with me when I fly.

So, my question: Do you carry a handheld when you fly?

John

Usually...never used it yet, even with the ancient Collins radios.

Yes. Needed it precisely once, when I had an incipient fire, had to switch off aircraft's master switch.

I don't. I figure if my airplane's radio gives up the ghost, I'll just go on my merry way without a radio. I learned to fly in an airplane without one anyway. The airplane doesn't need the radio to fly.

I'd probably worry less if I was not based in Bravo-Land.

I carry one. Here in NorCal it is at least unwise to fly without one due to complicated airspace and heavy traffic.

I never did but I can think of at least two times when it would have been nice to have one. But on second thought, I don't think it would have had the range. Certainly not to transmit.

Twice during electrical failures. Once I lost electric in IMC but didn't' have the handheld.

I use a handheld wired to a whip antenna and hobby 12v in the Chief -- works great.

Yes, I do. Never needed it in flight in nearly 20 years of carrying it, but I carry it nevertheless. And it has had a lot of use on the ground at AYA Conventions and other fly-in activities, as well as Student solos.

I do and I have an extension for an external antenna. Used it twice a previous plane when the PTT switch went out. They couldn't hear me but got the side tone and asked me to iden if I heard them. They, then just talked me in as normal. I've also used it to get ATIS and on the ground a few times to talk to tower or ground. I think I could have done without, but it was very nice to have it. Also have a back up GPS in the plane Garmin 496.

Best,

Dave

I carry a handheld, never had to use it though. It's a throwback to my rental days, when the chance of both radios failing were pretty good. I also carry a screw driver, duct tape, and a blank ASRS form at all times!

I have one, so I take it with me. No other reason. But I did use it, once, in a plane with only one radio. The guy flying was talking to tower, while I was listening to ATIS.

A handheld is very helpful in the Cub! I often carry it in other aircraft, but I don't worry too much when I don't have it. I will say that my sisters bought my handheld for me after I lost comms while orbiting with them on board taking pictures over San Antonio deep in Charlie airspace when I was a rookie pilot. That was NOT a fun experience!

Ryan

I've always carried one since I was a student pilot - usually use it for getting the ATIS and clearance before engine start. Only had to use it once in anger back when I was still a student and had a complete electric failure in a Warrior.

I have one that I usually bring with me, depending on the flight. I've used it once during flight when the radios died at night and I needed to turn on the airport lights. Was very glad to have it that day.

I carry a handheld with a headset adapter and a connection to an external antenna. Used it once when the alternator went out. Worked great. I was able to get Tucson approach from around 50 miles out and had no issues with two-way communications. I think the external antenna connection is critical. Headset adapter is a big plus too.

Yes, I do. On the one time I needed it (alternator failure), it didn't work that well on transmitting but did fine for receiving. I told ATC (on the ships radio) I had an electrical failure and was going to shut down everything but the transponder and I'd still be able to hear them on the handheld, and would acknowledge any instructions with an IDENT. Worked fine and an hour later still had enough battery power for the landing light and the flaps (both on short final).

When I've owned an airplane, I've always had an extra comm antenna installed for the handheld. That really makes a huge difference.

I don't. If I operated out of a towered field I would. I've had an electrical failure at night and landed without runway lights. Not the best situation, but manageable.

There's really not a good reason not to have one. I should probably get one.

I don't, and I've not needed it. I once had a complete electrical failure. However when I did that, I told ATC I was going to shut off everything, proceed to my destination VFR (which was a towered airport). They gave me a phone number to call - the controller wanted to make sure I got home safely. I thought that was nice of him.

When I got to my home base (a towered field), I had enough power to call from 10 miles out, tell him what was happening, and get a landing clearance. The electrical power went out completely on downwind. Gear and flaps are hydraulic, so no difference there, I just didn't have my three green lights.

I carry a backup GPS. I view that as far, far more useful. If my comms go out, I can find my way someplace else. But if my electrical system goes out in IMC, a GPS might actually get me down on the ground safely.

I carry a backup GPS. I view that as far, far more useful. If my comms go out, I can find my way someplace else. But if my electrical system goes out in IMC, a GPS might actually get me down on the ground safely.
Agreed - far more important to be able to navigate than communicate... but I carry both :wink2:. Duracell is my friend.

After this experience, I don't plan on ever flying IMC without a backup handheld GPS (with its own, independent power source).

I will (and have) flown NORDO when the batteries were dead or I forgot the handheld. You just take extra care looking for traffic, etc. But I really should use the same standard consistently. Unfortunately, the radio provides a false sense of security.

Agreed - far more important to be able to navigate than communicate... but I carry both :wink2:. Duracell is my friend.

Both is certainly not a bad option. And, if someone donated a handheld radio to Cloud Nine, I'd throw it in the 310 and carry it. I'm sure then I'd find uses for it. But it's pretty low on the list of priorities, and not something I'll spend money on. I know that I can navigate myself somewhere without assistance pretty easily.

I have one that I use routinely in my glider. I also carry it in the 210 and had to use it once when the alternator quit.

To the couple of posters who indicated that they've used their handheld outside of their airplane...

...don't you need an FCC license for that?

To the couple of posters who indicated that they've used their handheld outside of their airplane...

To listen?

FWIW, there was a long thread on this very topic. Summarized: If you're using it as a ground based transceiver infrequently, don't bother.

Yes, I've carried an ICOM A-21 for 17 years in my flight bag. I highly recommend the brand.

Its come in handy over the years during a couple of radio failures and electrical failures, but it mostly gets used at the Wings FlyBQ.

If you're using it as a ground based transceiver infrequently, don't bother.
Or unless you happen to have a radio nazi in your local area with nothing better to do than listen on his scanner and call the FCC.

I'd say it is only a matter of time before Garmin whips out a combination handheld GPS/radio.

I'd say it is only a matter of time before Garmin whips out a combination handheld GPS/radio.

Kng/Honeywell was working on one of those a while ago. Pretty sure they dropped the idea in the early stages. I think it was a case of: it would never be as good/convenient as two dedicated devices.

Probably, if you're using it a lot. Here at Addison, my home airport, one must contact tower to drive in certain areas on the airport. I don't just transmit on it, but have called tower to drive. Of course, on some uncontrolled fields folks use a handheld on occasion to provide information or respond to a request from the air.

Best,

Dave

Yes, I do. Never needed it in flight in nearly 20 years of carrying it, but I carry it nevertheless. And it has had a lot of use on the ground at AYA Conventions and other fly-in activities, as well as Student solos.

Ditto

Kng/Honeywell was working on one of those a while ago. Pretty sure they dropped the idea in the early stages. I think it was a case of: it would never be as good/convenient as two dedicated devices.
I agree that it is probably a few years off, but I think it will happen. Heck, when I first got my Sportys handheld comm radio with the VOR receiver, I never thought I'd see one with an ILS Glideslope as well. Now, that is the only model they make.

I have the Icom IC-A24 and needed it once while flying. It could barely reach tower about 4 miles away. That was with the battery fully charged and transmitting through the rubber duck antenna.

Tower decided it was easier to just give me commands and instruct me to ident if I understood them.

Once on the ground they gave me taxi instructions and told me to blink the landing light if I understood.

IMO handy talkies are OK provided the batteries are charged. If you expect to use it to communicate over long distances then it's best to have a fuselage mounted antenna.

I also have a portable GPS, but I am not as religious about having it on every flight as I am the handheld radio. If all I'm going to do is bang around the pattern or fly locally, sometimes the GPS stays home.

I drive a Jeep Wrangler, (hard top) so there is no good place to hide my flying gear except for covering it up in front of the right seat. My GPS cost $1,400.00, my radio cost $250.00. I almost always have to stop to shop for something on my way home from the airport. This is Sandy Eggo, stuff gets ripped off from cars.

John

Both Garmin and King did produced a combo unit. Didn't go over very well and they were discontinued/orphaned. I carried one in the Fire Observer kit years ago.

Edit: Now as I think about it I'm not sure about the King. The unit I used was a Garmin GPSCOM 190.

Last edited:
I've had one in the aircraft since I got it. The Free Bird lives at a class Delta, so I need comm to get in and out. I've had the radios fail on a number of occasions, and I've used the thing several times. I can call five miles out and hear sans headset too. Given that they cost very little in aviation terms, I don't know why anyone would fly without one.

Good for listening to the traffic at Oshkosh, too.

Given that they cost very little in aviation terms, I don't know why anyone would fly without one.
That's been my logic all along - you can certainly get by without one, but considering the cost, it sure is a nice to have item in the flight bag.

Back