Do you care about the MCDBA?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I have the opportunity to pick a certification that would be useful to my current job function, and I'm looking towards MCDBA right now. Anyone give two squats about a potential job candidate who has the MCDBA vs. one who doesn't?

If not, any other good certifications for a software developer/database admin?

Certifications can mean the difference between two otherwise similarly qualified/experienced candidates.

Greebo
MCSD.Net, MCP-Biztalk

If Microsoft is the technology direction you want to take--then it might not be a bad option. If they're paying for it, who gives a crap, take advantage of the opportunity. It might just make the difference some day.

I personally wouldn't pursue a Microsoft certification--but--I don't plan on ever making my living off of Microsoft. I'd rather wash dishes or mow grass before I'd do that :)

I'd go for the DBA certification. There are far too many programmers out there with no clue how to set up an efficient RDB. Having the DBA cert may make you stand out.

Having it is nice (I never did), But .....

The certified DBAs I had to work with before I retired always seemes to beleive that normalization rules were writ on stone tablets and brought down from the holy mount.

I always designed for the intended uses of the data, then applied those parts of the rules that could be implemented without hindering the uses of the data.

Having it is nice (I never did), But .....

The certified DBAs I had to work with before I retired always seemes to beleive that normalization rules were writ on stone tablets and brought down from the holy mount.

I always designed for the intended uses of the data, then applied those parts of the rules that could be implemented without hindering the uses of the data.

You're right. Normalize in design. Denormalize for performance :aureola:.

Unfortunately this isn't taught in school, but thankfully I learned this in my first job working with a grizzled old retired IBMer DBA.

I have the opportunity to pick a certification that would be useful to my current job function, and I'm looking towards MCDBA right now. Anyone give two squats about a potential job candidate who has the MCDBA vs. one who doesn't?

If not, any other good certifications for a software developer/database admin?

Other than the higher-level Cisco certs, I'd say the MCSD and MCDBA are the two most meaningful certifications that I have any familiarity with (I don't have any experience with like LPIC or the other Linux certs or any of the Java certs.) My knowledge of them (and people who've been so certified) indicates that they're a good indication that the person has intimate familiarity with the core concepts of each of those fields -- if for no other reason than I've looked at the requirements for them and that **** looks hard, man. ;)

That said, experience is always the main determinant in my mind; a "paper MCSD/MCDBA" with, say, 5 years of experience is almost always going to be trumped by a non-certified candidate with 7 or 8 years of experience* (just spitballing the #s, but you get the idea.) But as somebody already mentioned, if it comes down to you and an equally-experienced candidate and you've got the cert, you'll probably win... In a tough job market, it's almost certainly worth it. So especially if it's accompanied by related job responsibilities, it can't possibly hurt.

Also, if you approach it the right way, you will learn something; it might be something big, or it might be some "Huh... Never thought of that before" little thing that'll come in handy, but chances are even a very experienced DBA would come across something they weren't aware of or would have to dig in to an area with which they aren't familiar. I know that there were a couple instances in which a friend of mine was studying for the MCSD and came to me with a question about Remoting or MSMQ or ADO or something I felt like I was generally pretty competent with and I was like "Oh yeah, that's just a... Wait... Uh... What?"

So, short version: I say go for it.

* I'm thinking about this more now and a 5-year DBA with an MCDBA wouldn't be a "paper MCDBA"... But I think you probably get the gist of what I mean.

Last edited:
Certifications are useful with consulting companies. Anyone who has downsized and is looking to deploy or upgrade to SQL Server 2008 will hire consultants and will usually require Certified MCDBAs to be onsite. If it doesn't cost you, go for it.

Back