Do ya HAVE to go through the Rockies...

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
if you're flying west from NC, for example?

And, yeah, I'm sitting here in a coffeeshop and for the LIFE of me can't find a decent chart anywhere in the place... so it's likely a stupid question. That's ok, I ask a lot of stupid questions. If you have something yer good at, ya stick with it, right? :yes:

So if I want to go to Caleeforniyay and will be flying in some older light plane (emphasis: old; emphasis: light), do I HAVE to go over them nasty mountains?

Thanks - and try and be nice, y'all! :redface:

No. You can take the southern route across NM/AZ and into Southern CA and then fly up the coast. However, by taking the Interstate 80 route, you can make the trip safely on a more direct route from NC to Central CA without ever going over 11,500 MSL.

Well, you do have to fly over/around SOME mountains, but honestly, the Rockies ARE NOT as bad as some folks make them out to be. The southern route (like Ron suggested) is a good one, as is the northern route that Pete and I use to fly back to MN. Only issue on that one is that you'll have to head south through the Peoples Democratic Republic of Oregon to get to CA. Pete has done the tip numerous time in a 150 and the Stinson as well. There are LOTS of flat spots around the mountains, and I think the only time we ever climbed over 10K was during the fires back in 2000-2001. And that was to get above the nasty smoke.

Our route w/b includes Akron, CO (FLAT country on the ne corner of the state), then to Rexburg, ID, then to Nampa, ID (next to Boise, nice small airport), then over the Blue Mtns in se Oregon. Not sure about getting south, our route would take you way far north of where you want to go.
I would go with Ron's route. Been there, done that, its easy flying.

I have been across the Rockies about four times now and I go to Rock Springs, Wy. and then to Burley, Id. I have a C 182 with no Oxygen. You won't have to go all that high on this route. I live in Vale Or. Flew to Ark. a couple of times and to IL. twice. No trouble.

Ya gotta remember, no mountain is too tall to go around.
All are too tall to go thru.

First pic, north Cascades

Second pic, Casper -D-> Rock Springs.

Attachments

• Cascade Mt pictures 001.jpg
    Cascade Mt pictures 001.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 34
  • The Big Red One 012.jpg
    The Big Red One 012.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I crossed the Southern end in October twice in a PA28. Pretty easy. ABQ/SOW/BLH.

I also crossed the Northern end twice in November/December. I did the BIL/BZN/HLN/MSO route. FYI- There is a mountain wave in between LVM and BZN that is very fierce. Hold on, it is a rocky ride!!

Thanks for the info, y'all! It's reassuring that I can get mostly where I want to go without getting shook a$$ over teakettle in mtn waves and unknown scary things. Unknown to me, anyway!

Yeah, I was trying to remember all the times I rode a motorcycle through the AZ-NM I-40 route, and I sure didn't remember going through a bunch of mountains, but hey, on a motorcycle, who cares?

Thanks again, y'all!

etsisk said:
Thanks for the info, y'all! It's reassuring that I can get mostly where I want to go without getting shook a$$ over teakettle in mtn waves and unknown scary things. Unknown to me, anyway!

Yeah, I was trying to remember all the times I rode a motorcycle through the AZ-NM I-40 route, and I sure didn't remember going through a bunch of mountains, but hey, on a motorcycle, who cares?

Thanks again, y'all!

Well, now just a gol' durn minute here, everyone. I have flown over the North American Cordillera (most of which is the Rockies; in the southern portion it has different names) many times at many points between the Mexican and Canadian borders, and while I agree that it's not as bad as some people make it out to be, it is not without risk if you are inattentive. I've also done a fair amount of flying within the mountains (that is, landing and taking off from--very important to make the distinction--mountain airstrips), so I consider myself to be modestly experienced in high-mountain flying. You DO have to worry about mountain waves, lack of emergency landing sites, turbulence, sudden weather changes, squirrely winds, loss of aircraft performance, and all of that. For a pilot whose experience is low in general, there are many dangers, and the dangers are hardly fewer for someone whose experience is entirely in the flatlands (and the mountains in NC, while having their own special challenges and charms, are flat compared to the Cordillera). I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that y'all shouldn't be quite so cavalier about downplaying the challenges.

First and foremost you MUST pay very close attention to the weather, including things like winds aloft at altitudes you've never even thought of before. You must plan your route very carefully, and that planning must include alternates. You must doing some practicing at very high altitudes (>9500') in order to truly understand your aircraft's performance at those altitudes and above. You must internalize as never before the difference between ceilings at airports and ceilings enroute, and be aware as never before of the factors that influence ceiling height. Did I say you must pay attention to the weather? You must know Va in your airplane and be prepared to spend several hours flying at Va and be aware of how that affects fuel consumption and where the fueling points are. You must read a CURRENT A/FD for fuel status at various airports and even then have an out. You must be able to control your airplane precisely in case you have to make an emergency landing in a very small space. Finally, you must carry a survival kit that, at a minimum, includes a tent, a first aid kit, and, if in the southern half of the Cordillera, lots of water, and in the northern half, something to keep you warm (even in summer). Personally, I carry, at all times, a tent, water, sleeping bag, pad (I'm a softie), camp cooking gear, food, knife, saw, signal mirror, first aid kit, tools, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.

Oh, and you must learn about mountain weather. One nice thing, though. More or less west of the 100th meridian, you can at least SEE the thunderstorms way ahead of time about 98% of the time.

If you have done all that, then it IS no big deal, and it's a heck of a lot of fun, with gorgeous scenery.:cheerswine:

Judy

Last edited:
Even the experienced mountain pilots are very cautious. That's how they become experienced. :)

I echo Eric's sedements. Well said Judy.

Oh, and you must learn about mountain weather. One nice thing, though. More or less west of the 100th meridian, you can at least SEE the thunderstorms way ahead of time about 98% of the time.

If you have done all that, then it IS no big deal, and it's a heck of a lot of fun, with gorgeous scenery.:cheerswine:

Judy

It varies a lot like the water flow in a rocky, possibly rapid river, sometimes not too bad for motoring and other times it's "What am I doing here trying to fly through these mountains and their waves in my leeetle airplane ?!?"

judypilot said:
Well, now just a gol' durn minute here, everyone. I have flown over the North American Cordillera (most of which is the Rockies; in the southern portion it has different names) many times at many points between the Mexican and Canadian borders, and while I agree that it's not as bad as some people make it out to be, it is not without risk if you are inattentive...Judy
Please allow me to clarify! When I said:
etsisk said:
It's reassuring that I can get mostly where I want to go without getting shook a$$ over teakettle in mtn waves and unknown scary things.
I meant that I could miss all that fun by just missing the mountains! As in, not flying over them. (I, uh, would want to actually "miss" them all the time, if you know what I mean!)
Just so you didn't think that I was being cavalier!

One must remember crossing the mountains, is not canyon flying..

TDKendall said:
...then you start your approach into Packwood (55S)...

I'v never had reason to land at Pacwood.. But to get to Pacwood you must have gone around one big rock..

If you get very near the border taking the S route, watch out for the drones (UAVs), we are not used to TFRs down this way.

If you ever decide to make the trip, and you come through Albuquerque, let me know - I'll buy ya lunch or something - show you the best green chile in the entire United States.

SkyHog said:
If you ever decide to make the trip, and you come through Albuquerque, let me know - I'll buy ya lunch or something - show you the best green chile in the entire United States.
Oh, I'm gonna make the trip! Don't know when, 'zactly, but I'm gonna make the trip! Heck, that's one of the reasons I'm getting my ticket!! :D

And I'm ALWAYS willing to have someone buy me lunch! :D

How's your niece doing, by the way? I think of you two often, hoping that things are going ok for you . . .

Last edited:
Back