Do we need a Plan B already!? Weather Analysis for Flying the Caribbean...

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
A short update on how the Weather is looking for our departure mid-January 2020 for the Caribbean.

1. What's your strategy for dealing with storm fronts... is eastbound travel different than westbound?
  2. Is 1 week before departure too soon to look at weather forecasts? Pros/cons?
  3. What tools do you use to analyze weather more than say 3 days out?
  4. On a long trip, do you avoid booking lodging in advance?
Thoughts, questions, and suggestions? I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks for your insight and enjoy the video!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot

You could try weatherspork.com. They do modeling forecasts that go out for several days. Personally, I have found that long range forecasts often end up as opposite to what actually eventually happens. There is a reason why TAFs only go out 18 hrs. But getting a general weather trend is a good thing, I guess.
FWIW, I always have a plan 'B' and often a plan 'C'. You can pick your time or your weather, not both. I have learned to build flexibility into my plans.

I look at weather a day out... Not a week out. The weather people can't figure out what it will do in the next 5 hours around here!

That's what I do too. If there is some flexibility built into the trip you can leave a little earlier or later than desired and almost always have a workable trip. I've flown all over the US and Canada, summer and winter, and mostly in VFR only airplanes using this method and have never been more than a day off my desired schedule.

Back