Do we have any airplane mechanics in the house?

HatTrickHero11

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HatTrickHero11
I am 20 years old, and love everything about airplanes. Right now I am going to college and getting my general education out of the way, but I can't decide what I want to be when I grow up. I don't have any experience with airplanes, and was wondering if an airplane mechanic is a good job?

Does it pay well?
Is it hard labor and put a lot of stress on your body?
Is there a shortage in the field of aviation mechanics?
Would someone who is 6 foot 2 have a hard time working?

Anything on this subject would help! Thanks!

1 living wage
2 yep
3 no
4 6' 4" and I do ok but have my Cessna tattoo

1. Depends on where you are and what your doing. I think so.
2. Yes it can
3. Not really.
4. Again it depends on what your doing.
There is work out there you might have to be willing to move to get it.
Its a decent job.

Let me give you a piece of advice on how to become a millionaire. Don't chase money, you will never catch it. You will never get anywhere working for someone else, they can't afford to make you a millionaire. Find something you have a passion for and do it better than anyone else. The money will follow you. ;)

If I wanted to be a millionaire I would go to medical school and become a surgeon. Or become a pilot and not have a family. From what I understand, Mechanics aren't paid enough? I am not sure. Hence asking haha

Another thing is, I have plenty of passion, I just don't know where to put my passion into schooling to get a career with my passion. If that makes sense.. I am in a whirlwind of thoughts of what I want to do for the rest of my life.

What are other aviation jobs that pay decent, but does not take away from having a family. I know Pilots won't work for me because that will take to much toll on my future family

Another thing is, I have plenty of passion, I just don't know where to put my passion into schooling to get a career with my passion. If that makes sense.. I am in a whirlwind of thoughts of what I want to do for the rest of my life.

What are other aviation jobs that pay decent, but does not take away from having a family. I know Pilots won't work for me because that will take to much toll on my future family

Engineer for one of the aerospace companies. Getting a flight test slot puts you in the air a lot too.

1. Living wage yes, but you will have to move around to get it.
2. Yes
3. No shortage
4. Not so much.

Its a good job, but expect uncertainty and lay offs.

Let me give you a piece of advice on how to become a millionaire. Don't chase money, you will never catch it. You will never get anywhere working for someone else, they can't afford to make you a millionaire. Find something you have a passion for and do it better than anyone else. The money will follow you. ;)

GEICO just curious, are you a millionare? I just like to know where the advice is coming from.

If I wanted to be a millionaire I would go to medical school and become a surgeon. Or become a pilot and not have a family. From what I understand, Mechanics aren't paid enough? I am not sure. Hence asking haha

I suspect that Air Traffic Control offers the most likely aviation opportunity for making a decent wage without the long hours away from home that most well paying pilot jobs usually requires. A&Ps can make decent wages at a major airline but there's always a risk of furlough or worse yet bankruptcy which can put you back at the starting gate late in your career. None of the A&Ps I know that work on GA aircraft are making the same kind of money that controllers make with the same time in service.

I suspect that Air Traffic Control offers the most likely aviation opportunity for making a decent wage without the long hours away from home that most well paying pilot jobs usually requires.

The thing about air traffic control that strikes me is the mandatory retirement age of 56. First of all, you're out of a job at an early age, and who would want to hire you when you're 56? Second, there's gotta be a reason they want you to retire at 56, and it can't be because the job is always pleasant and easy.

The thing about air traffic control that strikes me is the mandatory retirement age of 56. First of all, you're out of a job at an early age, and who would want to hire you when you're 56? Second, there's gotta be a reason they want you to retire at 56, and it can't be because the job is always pleasant and easy.

A lot of the contract towers around the country use retired air traffic controllers.

Best way to get your A&P is to join the Air Force. Then after four years if you find you don't like it after having hands on experience you still have the GI Bill to fund another endeavor.

I know a lot of people say "well I'm not cut out for the military". Two things - if everyone who applied was 100% honest on their application then there would be no one in the military service, number two if I can do it anyone can - seriously.

GEICO just curious, are you a millionare? I just like to know where the advice is coming from.

It pretty obvious he is, with all those TV advertisements with an animated lizard...

Best way to get your A&P is to join the Air Force. Then after four years if you find you don't like it after having hands on experience you still have the GI Bill to fund another endeavor.

I know a lot of people say "well I'm not cut out for the military". Two things - if everyone who applied was 100% honest on their application then there would be no one in the military service, number two if I can do it anyone can - seriously.

The military does not hand out FAA A&P certificates to their maintenance personnel. Some military specialty codes along with documented experience might qualify someone to take the FAA tests but that's all it does. You'd still have to know a bunch of stuff that you'd probably have to learn outside the military. There are schools that specialize in filling in the gaps.

If you're unsure about whether you'd like doing A&P work, try getting a job at an FBO and working under an A&P for awhile. You may hate it or you may love it. Not saying the military is a bad move, only that it's a pretty huge commitment.

The military does not hand out FAA A&P certificates to their maintenance personnel. Some military specialty codes along with documented experience might qualify someone to take the FAA tests but that's all it does. You'd still have to know a bunch of stuff that you'd probably have to learn outside the military. There are schools that specialize in filling in the gaps.

If you're unsure about whether you'd like doing A&P work, try getting a job at an FBO and working under an A&P for awhile. You may hate it or you may love it. Not saying the military is a bad move, only that it's a pretty huge commitment.

Didn't say that they did. As you noted, they will gain qualifying experience.

3 years at FBO = qualifying experience
2 years at FAA approved maintenance school = qualifying experience
4 years at AF = qualifying experience

In all cases you still have to take FAA tests. In the case of the military not only will you get paid to learn, you can get Tuition Assistance to pay for the cost of the tests and when it is all said and done you STILL have a GI Bill that you can use or transfer to a family member. Don't get that at either of the first two options.

Also working the FBO isn't going to give you no jet or advanced avionic experience most likely and the school is going to give next to no real world experience. Wouldn't be any closer to the finish line in either case over going in the military.

Military isn't as big as deal as its made out to be. Yea maybe back in 65 when my Dad joined the Marine Corps you had to be a tough sumbitch. These days you'll get chances upon chances upon chances to get right before you can even think about filling out the paperwork to boot someone out. Once you get past the boot camp and tech school marching and saluting crap - its just like any other job.

Modern day service is geared toward the government preventing getting sued. For crap sakes, First Sergeant can't even make dirtbag airmen clean toilets any more for punishment, they first get a Letter of Counseling, then a Letter of Reprimand and you need to get a couple of those before you even get a UIF and you need a pretty seriously thick Unfavorable Information File before they even think about running you off.

A good example is the Senior Master Sergeant that runs my shop, he got an Article 15 back in his Technical Sergeant days - didn't hurt his career one bit.

Just saying, its not half the commitment that it may seem, and again if I can do it anyone can.

Last edited:
Back