Do they teach coms different in Canada or are they just a chatty bunch.

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
One of the airports I frequent shares a radio frequency with a Canadian airport. Those guys and gals give the longest transmisions.

"This is Cessna C12345A a Cessna 172 built in 1976 AD she is white now but was originally blue with orange highlights. We are at 3000 feet heading North to the practice area where we plan to do air work including but not limited to stalls, turns around a point and unusual attitudes. After that we plan to return to the airport and then head out for dinner. I am hoping they still have the special, that meatloaf was fantastic the last time. Just like momma used to make. Well any other traffic please make yourself known this is C12345X"

Ok maybe I am exaggerating just a small bit but...

One of the airports I frequent shares a radio frequency with a Canadian airport. Those guys and gals give the longest transmisions.

"This is Cessna C12345A a Cessna 172 built in 1976 AD she is white now but was originally blue with orange highlights. We are at 3000 feet heading North to the practice area where we plan to do air work including but not limited to stalls, turns around a point and unusual attitudes. After that we plan to return to the airport and then head out for dinner. I am hoping they still have the special, that meatloaf was fantastic the last time. Just like momma used to make. Well any other traffic please make yourself known this is C12345X"

You hear that sometimes at small rural airports (I've heard it in the U.S. as well), especially if two flying buddies happen to be on the frequency at the same time. That wouldn't happen at my home airport — if a pilot were repeatedly tying up the frequency like that, someone would pull them aside and have a quiet word.

The thing that is different about Canada is that we have a common enroute frequency, 126.7 MHz, and you'll hear a lot of position reports and PIREPs over that, especially on a nice VFR day.

Yep, you're pretty much spot on with the average length of a Canadian CTAF call.
I've found the content to be less about the meatloaf and more about the minutiae of the flight operation - I mean, they pretty much stay on point, but do go on about it.

And, to make it worse, by the time they've said all that, it's time for their next call. :rolleyes:

Yep, you're pretty much spot on with the average length of a Canadian CTAF call.
I've found the content to be less about the meatloaf and more about the minutiae of the flight operation - I mean, they pretty much stay on point, but do go on about it.

And, to make it worse, by the time they've said all that, it's time for their next call. :rolleyes:

Rule compliant Canadians would never yap about meatloaf. They would however obsessively report their precise position by reference to altitude, bear to, and distance from airport, time from airport, reference to a specific local landmark (i.e. “crossing the Sobeys across the street from the Swiss Chalet…”). If you ever asked on the frequency if there was any other traffic in the pattern they would happily tell you all about it, potentially stepping on each other to share their position reports.

I seldom heard too much chatter, and I'm a Canuck. Mostly it was guys doing the ATITAPA thing. Canadian law on the matter is very similar to the US.

Rule compliant Canadians would never yap about meatloaf. They would however obsessively report their precise position by reference to altitude, bear to, and distance from airport, time from airport, reference to a specific local landmark (i.e. “crossing the Sobeys across the street from the Swiss Chalet…”). If you ever asked on the frequency if there was any other traffic in the pattern they would happily tell you all about it, potentially stepping on each other to share their position reports.

bear to. I get it.

I fly in the US and Canada. I don't find any difference in chit-chat, or lack thereof, on the CTAF/ATF freqs. Is there a difference between small rural airports, and Big City airport with GA access, absolutely, but that isn't country specific.

* Orest

Last edited:

Dayum! Must be based out of the same airport I am.

They changed the CTAF at my home drome a couple of years ago. The only problem, they didn't seem to have noticed that the same freq was being used as a Canadian CTAF and a general gab-fest free for all frequency. Even though we're 60 miles away, they still sound like they're in the pattern.

Also, air-to-air is used by a couple of different busy flight schools to keep track of comings and goings in the training areas. The only problem is, you don't know if they're in Vancouver, Washington, or Vancouver Canada. And, its darn hard to tell when their reporting points are "the farmer's field" or "the bend in the river".

Back