Do these diagnoses require a special issuance?

FLAfisherman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FLAfisherman
I had a pinched nerve that led to an appointment with an orthopedic doctor, which led to an mri with a neurosurgeon due to my history of chiari. I have an SI for chiari malformation that was corrected 20 years ago. Basically the doctor told me I have some cervical stenosis and a bulging disc, but as long as my symptoms don’t get worse I don’t need surgery. I only experienced numbness after sleeping when I was lifting weights, as soon as I stopped that activity it has basically gone away. If I do need surgery down the road he will recommend a C5-C6 arthroplasty.

The assessment in the doctor note states hydromyelia (associated with previous chiari condition - residual) and then cervical disc disorder. Can either of these be dealt with by my AME considering I already have the neurosurgeon report and treatment plan? I also had a nerve study that came back normal in all areas. I referenced the AME guide but didn’t see these anywhere so I’m not sure if it “requires FAA decision”

Trying to get an idea if I will be living off my savings for the next few months.

Thanks for any input!

typical cervical disc disease treated surgically result in a good outcome and will not impact your medical.

typical cervical disc disease treated surgically result in a good outcome and will not impact your medical.

that’s good to know, thank you. So if I do require surgery I could expect to only be grounded for the recovery time? Currently I am more concerned with whether or not I will be grounded due to the diagnosis when I tell my AME, even though I’m not experiencing symptoms any longer

"Currently I am more concerned with whether or not I will be grounded due to the diagnosis when I tell my AME, even though I’m not experiencing symptoms any longer."

you will not be grounded

@FLAfisherman ... does FLA of your name equal Florida?

If so, Dr. Lou is located in Pensacola. It might be worth your time to set an appointment with him to get your medical sorted.

@FLAfisherman ... does FLA of your name equal Florida?

If so, Dr. Lou is located in Pensacola. It might be worth your time to set an appointment with him to get your medical sorted.
I would add, that cervical disc disease, if upon careful AME exam, is issuable. But NB if there is an MRI, and it has a significant stenois, the FAA will want the office notes and the MRI. Bring them ALL to the office.

A good AME "functional exam" will be acceptable to the FAA- you just need to bring the record and the MRI report.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back