Do the presidential hopefuls get TFRs?

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
Do the presidential hopefuls i.e. Clinton & Obama currently have TFRs following them around? Or does that not happen until they are nominated, or elected?

Apparently not, as several candidates have been in our area without them.

Not at this stage. They have to be nominated by their party before they get Secret Service protection, and that's when the trouble starts. During the last election W got TFRs as the sitting Prez. It was rumored that Kerry was offerred TFRs but turned them down. Dunno the real facts but he definitely did not have TFRs following him around the country.

I'm not handicapping what the Forces of Darkness will implement for this election.

Regards,
Joe

I wasn't paying attention during the last circus. I guess we'll find out during the run for the general election. Both candidates and running mates will have SS protection.

For the President, the TFR's are mandatory. For non-incumbent nominated major party candidates, it's "candidate's choice" up to the same size the President gets, and yes, John Kerry (a CPL) chose not. And President-elect is like the President -- no choice.

...but past presidents and their spouses get secret service protection once out of office unless they decline, correct? I guess H. Clinton will get the protection, but perhaps no TFR?

...but past presidents and their spouses get secret service protection once out of office unless they decline, correct? I guess H. Clinton will get the protection, but perhaps no TFR?

She has SS protection for life as the spouse of a president.

I dunno how TFRs would be mandatory, Ron. The president can end them. He may have to "negotiate" the security issues with the SS, but they don't get to give him orders.

Is the SS still in the Treasury Dept. or did they get moved to Homeland Security? Whatever, not in googling mood.

I dunno how TFRs would be mandatory, Ron. The president can end them. He may have to "negotiate" the security issues with the SS, but they don't get to give him orders.
In theory, yes, but in practice it's not the same since Kennedy got shot.

Hillary and Obama both have SS protection but no TFRs following them around. Just about every candidate campaigning in Iowa came through the Ottumwa airport at one time or another, but we never had a TFR.

The Secret Service guys were pretty fun to talk to until the VIP showed up, then they were all business. One night while they were waiting for Hillary, one of the lineman's friends was driving out with some Taco Johns. The lineman told the SS guy that he should order his friend on the ground when he gets there and "inspect" his food. So he did. The look on the poor guy's face when there was a SS agent ordering him to get on the ground the instant he stepped out of his car was priceless.

Hillary and Obama both have SS protection but no TFRs following them around. Just about every candidate campaigning in Iowa came through the Ottumwa airport at one time or another, but we never had a TFR.
Right -- not until they're nominated.

Not at this stage. They have to be nominated by their party before they get Secret Service protection, and that's when the trouble starts.

However, Hillary has SS protection by virtue of being Bill's spouse, and Obama actually has had SS protection since very early on in his candidacy due to the increased risk that he has as the first viable non-white candidate. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/2007/05/04/2007-05-04_raising_his_guard.html

So, since it's the Secret Service that asks for the NOTAMs... Why are these two not getting 'em?

However, Hillary has SS protection by virtue of being Bill's spouse, and Obama actually has had SS protection since very early on in his candidacy due to the increased risk that he has as the first viable non-white candidate. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/2007/05/04/2007-05-04_raising_his_guard.html

So, since it's the Secret Service that asks for the NOTAMs... Why are these two not getting 'em?
Because they have not yet been nominated by their party. Lots of folks get SS protection (including Laura and the daughters), but only the President and a nominated major party presidential candidate (and occasionally, visiting heads of state) get TFR's. Dick Cheney's house on the Eastern Shore is a special case.

Because they have not yet been nominated by their party. Lots of folks get SS protection (including Laura and the daughters), but only the President and a nominated major party presidential candidate (and occasionally, visiting heads of state) get TFR's.

Laura gets TFR's too, they're just way smaller... And I'd think that Clinton/Obama are both at least as important as Laura right now. Weird.

Dick Cheney's house on the Eastern Shore is a special case.

Dick Cheney is a special case. ;) I think you were right with your theory as to the reasoning behind that TFR.

Back