Do Seaplane bases have Instrument Procedures

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Doing my IFR training and reading the recent AOPA article about the NYC Seaplane base go me wondering if seaplane bases have instrument approaches.

If you know of one, please provide a link to it.

Additionally, there are some seaplane bases co-located with airports with instrument approaches.

That said, most of your instrument equipped seaplanes are amphibious. most seaplane flying can be done relatively low.

One problem I see with an instrument approach to a seaplane base is how the pilot establishes that the area is clear in limited visibility.

I remember seeing a few plates, mostly airports that had both water and land runways.

I remember seeing a few plates, mostly airports that had both water and land runways.

I believe there is one like that in the Houston area...

First time I saw the satellite shot, I couldn't figure out why there was a ditch as long as the runway and parallel to it.

One problem I see with an instrument approach to a seaplane base is how the pilot establishes that the area is clear in limited visibility.

In the previously linked example, 1000+ foot AGL minimums should be adequate I would think.

I would shoot the approach and go missed just to say I've shot a seaplane approach. :rofl:

I wonder if that counts as a different app type on my logbook entry... :D

Could I legally fly that approach in an ASEL with an ASEL rating? There was some discussion a while back about whether you could legally file to an airport with procedures you were unequipped to fly (in that case, it was RNAV-only approaches in a /A aircraft). You can obviously fly approaches with no intent to land, but... I wonder how this works.

I don't see why not. You can legally fly an approach in weather that is below minimums and do the missed. So you could just fly the missed for sure.

Just be aware that approaches with high missed's sometimes require DIFFERENT procedure for a "balked landing" down low. Pilot beware. Also beware that your IFR flight plan isn't cancelled if you need to come back up in the clouds (like it does on a popup). Probably want to tell the controller you will be flying the missed if that is your plan.

One other thing. There is such a thing as "glassy water". If you are over a body of water and the water is "glassy" you will think you are higher than you actually are if you look at the water. Don't try and fly close to the water, especially if it's glassy water. Doing THAT, has caused accidents.

Back