Do planes fly lower on cloudy days?what about heavy rainy days with black clouds?

Shicedet92

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Shicedet92
i saw some aircraft's flying lower in rainy days why is that?

Small planes with non instrument rated pilots will be more likely to start below the clouds to avoid getting stuck on top.

i saw some aircraft's flying lower in rainy days why is that?
If you are talking about landing aircraft, they are following an instrument approach on cloudy days which typically is a lower approach versus a visual approach. Otherwise, altitude is a pilot's friend. We will typically fly at altitudes that give us more opportunity for reaction should something go wrong.

I was going to suggest barometric pressure and so yes, the plane may be flying "lower" AGL on cloudy rainy days (even below the deck).

In addition to what has already been mentioned, if the rain is associated with thunder storms, some pilots will fly low below the clouds (even though they may be instrument rated) because it is easier to see/avoid the areas of heavy precipitation.

Likely to maintain visibility. Rain and snow obscure vision so it makes sense to stay closer to what it is you want to see.

Think about it.

John and Martha are sitting on the porch of their airpark home sipping on some Mimosas. Well, John thinks Mimosas are emasculating, sort of like minivans, but that's another story. They're just sitting there, under some shade, staring at their dirty 172, which they have to use as a training prop in a film tomorrow. As the afternoon thermals dissipate, the dark clouds roll in and....

Dirty 172.
Mission tomorrow.
Dark clouds.

See where I'm going with this?

"John, you need to take that thing up and wash it. It's dirty."

"Jeez, Martha, I need a rest."

"Would you rather fix the..."

"Okay okay I'll do it."

"Hey, this can be a video opp for a training module!"

"Huh? How so?"

"Washing the aircraft!"

Fast forward. John is at the controls, Martha is right seat, and Roger is in the back with the video camera. Roger is a new hire, Derrick fell out last week while filming a session entitled "Removing debris on the wing in flight." The narrative begins.

"Unlike a normal flight" Martha explains, clearly annunciating her words as she points at various instruments and upwards towards the clouds, "We are going to fly at the minimum legal altitude in order to most effectively wash the airplane. Why do we do this? Think about it. Water droplets start very small up high. As they travel downward and accumulate more moisture, the increase in size to bigger water droplets. It is a common misconception that flying through a rain cloud is the most effective way to clean the airplane. That is not true. You want to be down low for the best effect."

Farmer John (yes he gets a lot of ribbing about his name) is busy disking the soil as he sees the low flying 172 traverse his property. He spits out a wad of Red Man tobacco and says "Them gold durn Kings out washing their airplane again, ah know it." Then he takes another swig of Jack and shoves is tractor in to second gear.

Guilty. :redface:

I go out when it rains to get a good plane wash :lol:

flying (legally) just below a solid-ish layer of clouds had me nervous at first, thinking 'well this is where all the vfr traffic will be flying', however that also makes it easier to know exactly where to look for them.

Planes look bigger against a back ground that the eyes can focus on. Sort of like holding out a fish at arms length for a picture.

And yes, I have been known to deviate through a rain shower to wash off bugs.....

Guilty. :redface:

I go out when it rains to get a good plane wash :lol:

AND, if you plan it right you'll get a very effective spin/dry cycle under Cumulonimbus clouds.

Last edited:
Back