Do pilots in air shows get paid?

wildb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
wildb
I was wondering if pilots in airshows are paid or do they volunteer and have to pay rental fees or just use their own planes and pay for fuel etc.

Followup question, can a private pilot with aerobatic training be part of an air show, or do you have to have some sort of special license, cpl?

Could a air show pilot do an AMA?

AMA? Not sure what you mean there.

Most airshow pilots do get paid, depends on the show and their experience level. Small airshows can normally only afford to provide fuel and expenses for "demonstration" pilots and their airplanes.

Pilots own their planes, or their "airshow business" owns the plane.

Not sure about the private pilot part. They are not carrying cargo or pax. But buy the time they are "airshow quality" pilots they would have completed the commercial certificate. I'll have to do some more research on that part.

AMA? Not sure what you mean there.

Most airshow pilots do get paid, depends on the show and their experience level. Small airshows can normally only afford to provide fuel and expenses for "demonstration" pilots and their airplanes.

Pilots own their planes, or their "airshow business" owns the plane.

Not sure about the private pilot part. They are not carrying cargo or pax. But buy the time they are "airshow quality" pilots they would have completed the commercial certificate. I'll have to do some more research on that part.

AMA = Ask me anything, basicaly have an air show pilot start a thread where anyone on here can ask them any question.

What do air show pilots make per show approximately?

You say they own their plane or the "airshow business" owns the plane, do you have to be employed by an "airshow business" or can you buy a aerobatic plane and get paid to fly it at airshows?

Technically you could get your ppl, then get 10 hours training for aerobatic maneuvers, what qualifies you to be part of an airshow? Whats the process for being apart of an airshow?

I was wondering if pilots in airshows are paid or do they volunteer and have to pay rental fees or just use their own planes and pay for fuel etc.
Generally they are well-paid for their performance, not just by the air show management, but also by sponsors.

Followup question, can a private pilot with aerobatic training be part of an air show, or do you have to have some sort of special license, cpl?
Theoretically, a PPL could do this, but s/he would have to forego any compensation, including fuel, lodging, sponsorship, etc. As a result, this is generally reserved for professionals with CP or better. Also, you must have an Aerobatic Competence Evaluation (ACE) from the International Council of Air Shows (ICAS) -- see here for more on that.

Would take a few more than 10 hours after private. It is my understanding you would have to get aerobatic training, and then fly in front of the Aerobatic Committee judges at least several times and be deemed competent enough to be granted a low level aerobatics waiver. High alt aerobatics don't sell well.

Would take a few more than 10 hours after private. It is my understanding you would have to get aerobatic training, and then fly in front of the Aerobatic Committee judges at least several times and be deemed competent enough to be granted a low level aerobatics waiver. High alt aerobatics don't sell well.
Nevertheless, it is my understanding that when you break into this business, you start with a 1500 AGL minimum altitude, and don't get to go lower in shows until you have built actual show experience at the higher altitudes, and then your floor is lowered only incrementally with more experience.

Generally they are well-paid for their performance, not just by the air show management, but also by sponsors.

:lol: There are about two pilots in the country who actually make a living from airshow flying. 99% of airshow pilots do it because they can afford to. It's a fallacy to think because you offer to put a company's logo on your airplane that they will pay you good money just for flying air shows. Most airshow pilots are lucky to just cover the cost of showing up an flying their airplane. Most would be amazed how little money is made in this "business", and how hard it is even for the top-level talent in the world to obtain (and retain) viable sponsors. You need shrewd business sense.

Nevertheless, it is my understanding that when you break into this business, you start with a 1500 AGL minimum altitude, and don't get to go lower in shows until you have built actual show experience at the higher altitudes, and then your floor is lowered only incrementally with more experience.

1500 AGL is the minimum altitude for doing aerobatics without a waiver, other rules being met. The beginner airshow pilot gets mentored and evaluated on the ground and in the air by an ACE (aerobatic competency evaluator) and will then receive a beginning (level 4 airshow waiver). It's not a "committee". The beginning waiver is 800' AGL. There are requirements for flying a certain number of air shows at different venues to get re-evaluated to drop down to different levels. There are 4 levels - 800', 500', 250', and surface. It's not a major hurdle from a skill standpoint for a relatively new aerobatic pilot to obtain a Level 4 800' waiver. It's mostly about safety and some minimal capability in the aircraft. BTW, personal "waivers" only apply to waivered airspace at the airshow you are flying. Waivers don't mean anything at other times, away from the show site. Airshow flying is not about super skills or fancy flying. It's about being safe and marketing yourself. There is top level talent on the airshow circuit. There are also a whole lot of lesser-known local airshow pilots who have very primitive skills. It's about wanting to do it, not about how hot a pilot you are.

To the OP, if you even want fuel reimbursement, you must have a comm license. If you're really interested, you need to check out the ICAS site and read the ACE manual. Google. Sounds like you're a young kid who hasn't done any aerobatics yet. Why do you want to fly air shows? Surely don't think it will be a career. You need a real career. Think of airshow flying as a hobby, if that's what you realize you really want to get into once you get some real aerobatic experience.

Last edited:
By "busines" I mean that the airshow pilot may create a seperate business entity for the purpose of aerobatic competition and airshow performance. It's all about liability and taxes.

Yes, airshow performers are rated and qualified by a governing body, ICAS. They also work out airshow schedules. ICAS evaluates and provides qualification cards that the FAA accepts for the "floor" at airshows. It shows you know the rules, prohibited maneuvers towards the crowd. The understanding of the Show Line and no fly areas.

The FAA actually provides an "airshow waiver" that allows the aerobatics within limited distances to crowds and at low altitudes. The FAA will review each pilots credentials as to their minimum altitudes and state it in the waiver.

Back