Do one have to be a CFI or at the very least a pilot to run a flight school?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Another question out of curiosity, is it even required that one get a CFI certificate or at the very least a pilot certificate to start up or run a flight school? Or would you say those are recommended and anyone could start up or run a flight school as long as they know all the applicable FARs pertaining to flight training and flight schools, and the flight training process?

Do you know of any flight school owners who are not pilots or CFIs and do those owners still run a successful flight school despite not having a CFI or pilot certificate?

For training under part 61, I don't think there's any restriction, as the FAA just cares about the logged hours and the sign-off for checkrides. So if you want to hire a bunch of independent CFIs, buy a few planes, and arrange that into a flight school business, I don't think the FAA will have anything to say about it.

For part 141, I think it depends on what you mean by "run" the school. Pretty sure there's nothing saying the owner/s have to be pilots, but there's generally a "Chief Flight Instructor" position at the very least who has a good deal of authority, and I doubt you could get away with that person not being a CFI ;-)

It's certainly not a requirement. It takes business sense, not flying ability, to make a success of a flight school. People with the required skill set can be hired.

Bob Gardner

Nope. Close friend owns a flight school in Florida. He's tired of the business side, and long before I learned to fly, he asked me to move there and run the school in a partnership. He just wants to be the Chief Instructor and teach.

He keeps asking, tries to sweeten the pot by promising to get me thru the instrument & commercial for free.

I refuse to live in the swamps again.

For training under part 61, I don't think there's any restriction, as the FAA just cares about the logged hours and the sign-off for checkrides. So if you want to hire a bunch of independent CFIs, buy a few planes, and arrange that into a flight school business, I don't think the FAA will have anything to say about it.

For part 141, I think it depends on what you mean by "run" the school. Pretty sure there's nothing saying the owner/s have to be pilots, but there's generally a "Chief Flight Instructor" position at the very least who has a good deal of authority, and I doubt you could get away with that person not being a CFI ;-)

Thanks for the responses so far. John, when I meant by running the flight school I am talking about the flight school owner, not the Chief CFI.

The only thing that is required to own and run a flight school is a big pile of money.

Another question out of curiosity, is it even required that one get a CFI certificate or at the very least a pilot certificate to start up or run a flight school? Or would you say those are recommended and anyone could start up or run a flight school as long as they know all the applicable FARs pertaining to flight training and flight schools, and the flight training process?

Do you know of any flight school owners who are not pilots or CFIs and do those owners still run a successful flight school despite not having a CFI or pilot certificate?

Must? Absolutely not, no pilot qualifications or experience are required to own or run the business side of things. You employ CFIs.

No requirement, but it is an advantage. Other advantages would be to be an A&P or an IA, even a DE. The reason is, if you have THOSE ratings, you can do those duties and not have to pay someone else to do them. Of course, you cant do EVERYTHING. But most flight schools are run by a CFII or DE. Remember, if your competitors can do it for less, you are at a disadvantage. I have had good experience with two flight schools that were owned and run by a DE. And negative experience with two that weren't. The owner/DE gets everyone on the "same page". YMMV.

Just like running an airline or the FAA, no pilot qualifications are required.

I think GA would benefit if we got some business people with no flying experience but with a good customer service background (rental cars?, hospitality? food service?) to run some FBO's and flight schools.

Most pilots working in FBO's and flight schools don't know who really pays them, and in general are crappy business leaders.

No requirement, but it is an advantage. Other advantages would be to be an A&P or an IA, even a DE. The reason is, if you have THOSE ratings, you can do those duties and not have to pay someone else to do them. Of course, you cant do EVERYTHING. But most flight schools are run by a CFII or DE. Remember, if your competitors can do it for less, you are at a disadvantage. I have had good experience with two flight schools that were owned and run by a DE. And negative experience with two that weren't. The owner/DE gets everyone on the "same page". YMMV.

the. you would be working as a mechanic cfi etc instead of focusing on running a business. i think thats a problem with some outfits. they have great mechanics pilots DEs etc but really bad or lack of business management.

Just like running any business,you hire the people you need to meet the objective.

I think GA would benefit if we got some business people with no flying experience but with a good customer service background (rental cars?, hospitality? food service?) to run some FBO's and flight schools.

Most pilots working in FBO's and flight schools don't know who really pays them, and in general are crappy business leaders.

Amen.

We just got finished getting one of our club airplanes painted. Due to wx, we haven't even picked it up yet. But, they must do an absolutely spectacular job with painting, because they absolutely suck at running a business yet they're still here (and, I understand, have been in business for many many years).

No web site. Email goes to a friend who prints it and replies come from the handwriting scrawled on the printout, if it's readable (and snail mail would be faster). Nobody to answer the phone, and calls are returned only rarely. Very dour personality, I feel like I'm an inconvenience every time I've talked to them.

I have seen so much bad customer service in aviation - I think it's a large part of why we're such a niche industry. 80% of people can't afford to fly, 80% of people don't want to fly or don't have the ability. We can't afford to **** off or alienate 80% of those who remain...

Nope. Close friend owns a flight school in Florida. He's tired of the business side, and long before I learned to fly, he asked me to move there and run the school in a partnership. He just wants to be the Chief Instructor and teach.

He keeps asking, tries to sweeten the pot by promising to get me thru the instrument & commercial for free.

I refuse to live in the swamps again.
Tell him o call me... I'm ready!!

When I was training at FDK, the flight school was bought by a non-pilot. He took lessons while I was there but I don't know if he finished.

Required, no

Good idea, yes

Back