Do I qualify

comanche

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Comanche
After having the medical deferred for 7 months, I now have 3d class along with a special issuiance set of conditions to follow. I know fully well while the medical was in limbo or was deferred I was not eligible to fly using my drivers license as the medical for the light and sport aircraft adhering to the limitations coupled with flying that type of aircraft.

However, and this is only a supposition, let's say I don't want the hassle of adhering to the stipulations which go with the SI for piloting any ASEL that I am qualified to fly ang I agree to pilot only the Light & Sport plane may I legally fly those after the 3d Class expires as I have never officially been denied the medical?

Again, this is only for discussion. I worked too hard and bugged Dr. Bruce too much to let my medical lapse.

I believe the answer is now that you were issued, you can let it expire and go to DL for SP privileges.

Oooh...interesting one.

You can now let your medical expire and fly LSA for sure.

But, can you ignore limitations placed upon your medical while it is valid? I don't have a clue...

It's hard to say without knowing what those limitations/stipulations are. If it's something like "must wear corrective lenses," it seems reasonable to suppose you know you cannot fly safely without your glasses. Likewise, if the problem is no legs, and the stipulation is that you have hand controls for rudder and brakes, then it would probably not be safe for you to fly a LSA without such controls. Also, if the issue is insulin-dependent diabetes, and the stipulations involve frequent blood sugar level testing, it would seem hard to argue that you do not know such testing is required for you to fly safely for any extended period.

IOW, since you know about the condition and the FAA's thoughts on how it affects safe flying, it seems to me a matter of common sense application of whatever the FAA wants you to do or not to do to exercise Third Class medical privileges to the question of whether or not you can fly an LSA safely while doing what the FAA doesn't want, or not doing what they do want for Third Class privileges. Consultation with your regular physician on these questions is also recommended by the FAA in such cases.

Oooh...interesting one.

You can now let your medical expire and fly LSA for sure.

But, can you ignore limitations placed upon your medical while it is valid? I don't have a clue...

Thanks for your reply. However, I did not say anything about ignoring limitations of my valid medical. I wrote that I knew I could not fly as PIC any aircraft including the Light & Sporty type while my medical was deferred.

In your situation, Comanche, the answer is yes. I said it here.
I'd like to be certain on this -- you're unconditionally saying that he can legally fly an LSA without complying with the restrictions/limitations on his SI medical certifiate? My feeling is that because he has been told so by the FAA, he knows that compliance with those restrictions is necessary for safe flying, and that he must still comply with them unless he and his physician agree otherwise.

I'd like to be certain on this -- you're unconditionally saying that he can legally fly an LSA without complying with the restrictions/limitations on his SI medical certifiate? My feeling is that because he has been told so by the FAA, he knows that compliance with those restrictions is necessary for safe flying, and that he must still comply with them unless he and his physician agree otherwise.

I am certainly not Doctor Bruce, but I received specific guidance (instructions -rules) to be compliant with the 3d class medical. That is not the issue. The specific question is/was if I do not renew the 3d class medical, and since I do not have a differed or a denied medical could I using my drivers license to legally fly those planes permissible using a drivers license.

The specific answer is yes.

And Ron, I have all the facts on this one. ALL of them. Of course he will have to self certify every day. 61.53.

I am certainly not Doctor Bruce, but I received specific guidance (instructions -rules) to be compliant with the 3d class medical. That is not the issue. The specific question is/was if I do not renew the 3d class medical, and since I do not have a differed or a denied medical could I using my drivers license to legally fly those planes permissible using a drivers license.
I agree. The only question I had involved any restrictions/limitations on your SI. For example, if you were an insulin-dependent diabetic required in your SI letter to test periodically during flight, I should think you'd still have to do that in an LSA to be able to consider yourself safe for flight even if your DL said nothing about that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back