Do I need to disclose starting on blood pressure medication

W

WorkRaisesBP

My last Class 3 medical was passed last October and I'll be due again in October 2023. In May this year I went into my primary care physician (not an AME) and my blood pressure was really high--a lot higher than last October. Long story short with some monitoring it has come down generally but is still high, and clearly at work it goes a lot higher (I've learned from monitoring). I agreed to go onto a low dose of lisinopril which has been effective in reducing my BP and no side effects noted.

It occurred to me last night that I will need to disclose this in my next medical review, but I'm wondering if I need to inform FAA earlier than that. I have not flown since starting on lisinopril, but that has only been due to the plane in my club being overhauled, and flying is set to resume shortly. This medication is not listed as a possible problem for FAA meds that I can find, so I'm not anticipating an issue.

Do I need to inform the FAA immediately on this new medication, or can it wait for next flight medical review. TIA.

My last Class 3 medical was passed last October and I'll be due again in October 2023. In May this year I went into my primary care physician (not an AME) and my blood pressure was really high--a lot higher than last October. Long story short with some monitoring it has come down generally but is still high, and clearly at work it goes a lot higher (I've learned from monitoring). I agreed to go onto a low dose of lisinopril which has been effective in reducing my BP and no side effects noted.

It occurred to me last night that I will need to disclose this in my next medical review, but I'm wondering if I need to inform FAA earlier than that. I have not flown since starting on lisinopril, but that has only been due to the plane in my club being overhauled, and flying is set to resume shortly. This medication is not listed as a possible problem for FAA meds that I can find, so I'm not anticipating an issue.

Do I need to inform the FAA immediately on this new medication, or can it wait for next flight medical review. TIA.
It can wait.

Report such at your next routine medical certificate reissuance.

Is this a case where the poster should also bring records of the blood pressure being properly maintained by the medication. Basically, bringing the AME all the information he/she might need in advance?

lisinopril, yawn.... welcome to the majority of americans, my AME didn't even blink an eye or ask about it, said must be working, your bp is fine.

Is this a case where the poster should also bring records of the blood pressure being properly maintained by the medication. Basically, bringing the AME all the information he/she might need in advance?
He'll need a note from PCP that he's been stable with no side effects for at least ba week and no medication changes are recommended.

And be proactive and bring at least a weeks log of recorded BP, morning and evening. My AME always wanted that...

lisinopril, yawn.... welcome to the majority of americans, my AME didn't even blink an eye or ask about it, said must be working, your bp is fine.

Yea, even Naval aviation medicine, 112 years of history unimpeded by progress, had no problem with my 5 mg of Lisionopril and neither did the FAA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back