DO I need help?

Perhaps you could point out which reasoning you considered circular rather than just calling it circular? I'll grant you that the questions were leading, they were intended to make a point. It's seems you would rather dismiss than engage, but I'll attempt again. You did appear to relativize adultery and lying as not a lot different than taking a drink, or having a smoke. That is promoting an ethic whether you recognize it or not. That's fine if that's the way you live, there are plenty of different opinions and lifestyles represented here. I just want to know how consistent you are with that ethic.

I can't address adultry and lying in blanket terms. There are situations where, in my opinion, the former is not particularly heinous, and the latter is perfectly ethical.

I'm not taking sides with the OP one way or the other. I don't know enough (or, for that matter care enough) about the context and circumstances to render a judgement. For that matter, it's not particularly any of my business, other than to the extent that the OP has made it so.

I don't know enough (or, for that matter care enough) about the context and circumstances to render a judgement.

Then why join-in in casting judgement on those who attempt to respond to the OP with their opinions, which he asked for? You seemed rather quick to hop in when the tide was in support of the OPs infidelity, but now reluctant to render a judgement either way. Your method of establishing your own ethic seems rather weak to me. I'll try to summarize it as I see it.

Everybody has indiscretions, not everybody is bad. Adultery is an indiscretion, indiscretions don't necessarily make people bad, therefore adultery isn't bad. And repeated in the latest post, adultery and lying aren't always bad, therefore I can't condemn them. But I can and will condemn those who do condemn them.

I'll cut straight to the point since honest debate doesn't seem to have much of a place here. I doubt that to friends and family you are going to jump on board with encouraging someone to commit adultery or lie to protect dishonest behavior. As a former military member I should be able to safely assume that you didn't encourage your subordinates in those things and that you didn't castigate those who taught the services Core Values. So, to you and Tim Winters, I responded to point out that it is not those who stand for moral uprightness that are necessarily the hypocrites.

gorilla_beating_chest.gif

Then why join-in in casting judgement on those who attempt to respond to the OP with their opinions, which he asked for?

The OP asked for opinions on matters separate from the stated infidelity backdrop, I get it. Screwing hoochies on the side is bad. That point was made early on. There was little benefit to belaboring the point.

What's your opinion of King David? Well, let me refine the question. How come God chose to smote him by taking his first born for killing Uriah, yet he seemed to be unfazed by the fact that he was banging Bathsheba?

The OP asked for opinions on matters separate from the stated infidelity backdrop, I get it. Screwing hoochies on the side is bad. That point was made early on. There was little benefit to belaboring the point.

What's your opinion of King David? Well, let me refine the question. How come God chose to smote him by taking his first born for killing Uriah, yet he seemed to be unfazed by the fact that he was banging Bathsheba?
I don't know that I have much of an opinion of King David. From what I've read, he was a pretty good leader but his personal indiscretions and family disunity let to a split in the Kingdom and he suffered greatly late in life for his earlier failings(which seems to be a common trait among adulterers). But, I'm not expert. How exactly is my opinion on King David relevant?

BTW, I'm happy to move this discussion to PM if you wish, but I made my point pretty clear and don't have a whole lot more to add. If you want to kick off a discussion of ethics, I'm game. I'm not sure how well that would go over here though.

Yes OP, troll or no troll you ask if you need help and in this scenario you may need exactly six guys to help you in the worst case.

I will consider your earlier comments unsubstantiated since you've feigned disinterest and rejoined the peanut gallery.

No, rather you should consider it disinterest in responding to a person who resurrects a six month old thread that was long dead, who has only been here for six months himself and is unknown to me.

I owe you nothing in the way if an explanation nor do I feel inclined to provide one.

No, rather you should consider it disinterest in responding to a person who resurrects a six month old thread that was long dead, who has only been here for six months himself and is unknown to me.

I owe you nothing in the way if an explanation nor do I feel inclined to provide one.
I didn't resurrect the thread, someone else did and I then read the initial couple of posts. I was unaware that we were no longer responsible for our comments once they drifted past the first page or two. You're initial comment challenged a group of people that I identify with,(those who condemn cheating, and those who sit in a pew on Sundays) so I responded to that challenge to see if there was any merit to your claim. I see now that there wasn't. This thread can now be re-buried.

First, I never gave an opinion on infidelity like you claim...but...

Okay, if you insist to your other point...

<remainder of post deleted as it was likely a violation of the ROC>

Last edited:
First, I never gave an opinion on infidelity like you claim...but...

Okay, if you insist to your other point...

Let's just say I put "good christian man" in the same category as "jumbo shrimp" and leave it at that. I've only been screwed in business twice. One guy had "God is my partner" on his business card. The other the ichthys.

Yeah, so all Christians are bad, because, you know, that guy was a Christian, because his card said so and he screwed you.... o_O

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back