Do I Need Digital Photo Frame of Something Else?

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I want to put something like a digital photo frame in the window of our terminal building facing outward. When we are closed, it could run a continuous slide show of the "Pilot Speak" key pad combination to provide pilot 24/7 access (such as "Keypad Combination to Open Door is MEM GND"), call out list and fee, hours of operation, etc. When we are open, that wouldn't be needed so it could be running a slide show of aviation pictures. or maybe it could serve as a bulletin board running plane for sale postings, hangar waiting lists, upcoming events, etc. We have wi-fi in the building so would a wi-fi enabled device be useful? Is a digital photo frame what I need or would something like a scrolling lighted sign or something else be better? Money is an object.

IWhen we are closed, it could run a continuous slide show of the "Pilot Speak" key pad combination to provide pilot 24/7 access (such as "Keypad Combination to Open Door is MEM GND")

I would recommend against anything that could have unintended security consequences...

It is foreseeable that non pilot non customers could figure that out pretty quickly with their Iphone and google and gain unauthorized access. A better way to permit after hours access to your regular customers is to issue them a personal or group code.

People who need to know will know. People who dont, wont. Kinda like a field I know of with unlocked gas pumps and a coffee can for the check to be dropped into.

As for scrolling lighted sign versus picture frame.. the picture frame idea has more utility, but the scrolling LED's would probably be cheaper. WiFi is an unneeded feature. You just upload what you want to the picture frame with a USB.

Depends on how fancy you wanted to get...I understand money being an object...so that said...The picture frame would rock...

Obviously if you change program material based on time of day, it will require user intervention...This will get old in less than two weeks...trust me on that...

If you want it to:
Turn itself on/off
Change program material on schedule
Show more than just one layer of graphic/video at one time
Have instant playout
Link to a website and display that as a layer
Lower 1/3 crawls
Have embedded audio...

This would rock.

This is a device we deploy regularly in these applications...Once programed, it will basically start the display, run files in layers, self delete material that is past the date it's relevance and is updateable over ethernet...

Look at this from a different perspective...use it as a revenue source...Have restaurants and other establishments in the locale PAY to have their services listed, reach out to the Chamber of Commerce or others to get that "Russellville message" out...

There are some VLC player options that would require a PC to be attached as well...I am not quite as versed in those as I am the Sony solution...

Hope this helps....

Depends on how fancy you wanted to get...I understand money being an object...so that said...The picture frame would rock...

Obviously if you change program material based on time of day, it will require user intervention...This will get old in less than two weeks...trust me on that...

If you want it to:
Turn itself on/off
Change program material on schedule
Show more than just one layer of graphic/video at one time
Have instant playout
Link to a website and display that as a layer
Lower 1/3 crawls
Have embedded audio...

This would rock.

This is a device we deploy regularly in these applications...Once programed, it will basically start the display, run files in layers, self delete material that is past the date it's relevance and is updateable over ethernet...

Look at this from a different perspective...use it as a revenue source...Have restaurants and other establishments in the locale PAY to have their services listed, reach out to the Chamber of Commerce or others to get that "Russellville message" out...

There are some VLC player options that would require a PC to be attached as well...I am not quite as versed in those as I am the Sony solution...

Hope this helps....
Nice, but I can't see $2000 as being for someone for whom money is an object. I'm thinking about a cheap refurbished desktop with a 15" LDC mounted in the window. You could use OpenOffice (free) or Powerpoint ($$) to come up with a slideshow that varies with time of day. That said, the idea of rotating ads in with the display sounds like a good one.

And as to displaying an access code, I think you need to take the chance. The idea is to make it available to transients. Any solution that allows transients to find the code is also going to allow a nefarious local to do so if they look hard enough.

Nice, but I can't see $2000 as being for someone for whom money is an object.
Yeah me either but when looking into something like this, sometimes thinking out side of the box helps...it could be a revenue source...that depends on the traffic at the airport and its percieved value to the local economy...

I'm thinking about a cheap refurbished desktop with a 15" LDC mounted in the window.
This is a great idea as well and very cost effective. You could use some sort of remote desktop to keep a .pps file in the startup folder updated...

You could use OpenOffice (free) or Powerpoint ($$) to come up with a slideshow that varies with time of day.
I am not sure I know how to do this...maybe one of the waaay more computer/software saavy could point out to the OP how to accomplish this...

That said, the idea of rotating ads in with the display sounds like a good one.
The Sony box has been a huge success for us...The ability to get it set and leave it along for weeks at a time is very attractive.

<SNIP>
I am not sure I know how to do this...maybe one of the waaay more computer/software saavy could point out to the OP how to accomplish this...

<SNIP>

A VBA macro in powerpoint can probably do this, or running timed events in Windows. Open office probably has a similar feature.

I would recommend against anything that could have unintended security consequences...

It is foreseeable that non pilot non customers could figure that out pretty quickly with their Iphone and google and gain unauthorized access. A better way to permit after hours access to your regular customers is to issue them a personal or group code.

I am sensitive to those concerns. That said, we have had a (paper) posted similar combination (1'st 3 Digits LIT ATIS) on the old terminal building for about three years with no problem. We also have recorded security cameras in the new building (see http://63.97.52.214/ Camera 1- no password needed - just click "SUBMIT"). The frame immediately before the posted access code would say "Smile, You're on Candid Camera". The "Sign" would be inside the 3'rd glass panel from the floor to the left of the door.

It is intended that transient pilots have access so individual codes or special knowledge by locals does not work.

and - Thanks for the input

Last edited:
It is intended that transient pilots have access so individual codes or special knowledge by locals does not work.

and - Thanks for the input

I just wanted to say thanks for thinking of the transient pilot. It is tough some times when you are just out flying around the countryside to know where to stop for the night. So many places close down and lock up for the night when there are still hours of good flying time left, and try to find somewhere to get out of the rain. I love code locks. I wish they were posted in the AFD, it would make flight planning easier.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Barb

I just wanted to say thanks for thinking of the transient pilot. It is tough some times when you are just out flying around the countryside to know where to stop for the night. So many places close down and lock up for the night when there are still hours of good flying time left, and try to find somewhere to get out of the rain. I love code locks. I wish they were posted in the AFD, it would make flight planning easier.

Barb

Actually, if you were stranded, you could overnight in our place. We have a pilots snooze room and a pilots restroom and shower.

Barb
Hey, yes, thank you for thinking of us. At Cody, WY the FBO operator handn't thought of that, and I had to climb over a 12' barbed wire fence as I wasn't going to have my then grade school girls do any such thing. This was JUST before the TSA.

I wrote the airport authority, nobody ever acknowledged; I have NEVER been back since; I use Sheridan WY and Cody has missed a few thousand gallons of fuel sales over the years.....

I had to climb over a 12' barbed wire fence as I wasn't going to have my then grade school girls do any such thing.

We do have a six foot fence but if you have enough initiative to try the handle on the pedestrian gates, you will discover that they are not locked. On the other side of the old building, you will find bollards to keep vehicle traffic from going down the sidewalk but nothing to hinder pedestrians. We don't have airline traffic so no real TSA impact yet. The keypad is on the ramp (air) side door so if you go through the building and out the ground side door at night, you have to find your way through the fence, or around it, to get back in.

We are open 82 hours a week over 7 days

If you know any of the Air Race Classic participants, ask them what they thought of our operation and facility.

When we were at Mountain Home, we wanted to get out to the ramp a couple of times while the FBO was closed. One time, we found the vehicle gate wide open. Apparently, after a thunderstorm, th gate won't close properly. And as a pedestrian, given even slightly small wrists (Missa's qualified), you can open the pedestrian gate from the outside. Other than that, though, it looked like you were SOL if you wanted to get back to your plane after hours.

...continuous slide show of the "Pilot Speak" key pad combination to provide pilot 24/7 access (such as "Keypad Combination to Open Door is MEM GND"), call out list and fee, hours of operation, etc.

As others have said...THANK YOU for thinking of transients!

The sign is up and running. I bought a good sized (about 20") flat computer monitor on sale at Staples (~$110) and begged a small Dell obsolete computer from the IT person. The slides are running as a screen saver. The computer was small enough to stick inside the wall with an access door and a cooling vent. The wires are run through the wall and the aluminum frame for the windows between the foyer and the lobby. The monitor is mounted on a couple of aluminum square tubes bolted to the window framing. All the patron sees is a large "digital photo frame". Mission accomplished! Thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments

• 101_0032.JPG
    101_0032.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The sign is up and running. I bought a good sized (about 20") flat computer monitor on sale at Staples (~$110) and begged a small Dell obsolete computer from the IT person. The slides are running as a screen saver. The computer was small enough to stick inside the wall with an access door and a cooling vent. The wires are run through the wall and the aluminum frame for the windows between the foyer and the lobby. The monitor is mounted on a couple of aluminum square tubes bolted to the window framing. All the patron sees is a large "digital photo frame". Mission accomplished! Thanks for the suggestions.
Great! Sounds like a cheap alternative that also involves recycling an otherwise defunct computer!

Hello,
I was the pilot of Classic Team 2 (the V-Tail Bonanza) in the 2009 Air Race Classic. I can certainly say that you guys put out the red carpet for us! Everything was wonderful - especially the air conditioning in the FBO, and the supplies of cold water! Your new FBO facilities were beautiful, nice & clean, and everyone was so hospitable and courteous. The fueling went especially efficiently and very quickly. We certainly appreciate the way you folks bent over backwards to accomodate and help us. Thank you so much.
Sandy St.John
Classic Team 2

Thanks for the kind words. We really did enjoy supporting the Air Race Classic. Maybe we can do it again some time.

Back