Do I need a transponder to...

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
...overfly controlled airspace? Lets say I'm flying over a class Charlie airport at 10K feet, but there is a mode C veil? Do I still need a transponder, even though I'm nowhere near their airspace?

I think it depends on the airspace, as there is mention of "horizontal bounds" of airspace

...overfly controlled airspace? Lets say I'm flying over a class Charlie airport at 10K feet, but there is a mode C veil? Do I still need a transponder, even though I'm nowhere near their airspace?

Correction...yes...91.215 b 4. There is no "veil" for C, but it specifies within their lateral boundaries.

Last edited:
A transponder is required when overflying Class C airspace up to 10,000'. You also need one at and above 10,000' MSL, everywhere over the contiguous US except when at or below 2,500' AGL, unless your aircraft was certified without an electrical system and continues to not have one.

Last edited:
A transponder is required when overflying Class C airspace up to 10,000'. You also need one at and above 10,000' MSL, everywhere, unless your aircraft was certified without an electrical system and continues to not have one.

91.125?

I see you made the correction:wink2:

Last edited:
91.215 (b)

(4) All aircraft in all airspace above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport upward to 10,000 feet MSL; and

Mode C veil is not associated with Class C airspace. That refers to Class B.
However a class C may be under or close enough to be within a Class B Mode C veil.

10K MSL needs a transponder (at and above), and as others have mentioned, you cannot overfly Class B and C airspace below 10K MSL without a transponder.

Back