Do I need a new 3rd class medical?

U

Unregistered

Hello,

Does anyone know if the new 5 year under-40 rule applies to 3rd class medicals that were issued before the rule change?

My last 3rd class was done in March 2006. I was 37, so under the old rules, I'd be good until March 2009. I was expecting to get another this month, but realized I might not need one until 2011 and I want to be sure.

61.23 currently has a table to figure out duration that says "If you hold" (3rd class), and "And on the date of examination for your most recent medical certificate you were" (under 40 in my case), then duration = "60th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate."

Opinions?
TIA!

As I understand it, the date that the rule took effect plays no part in the calculation. So if you were under age 40 at the time of your last medical, and your last medical was in the last 60 months, then your medical is valid. In your case, you're good until 2011.

It's even possible for your medical to have expired, and then become "unexpired" with the rule change.

Given the difference in durations, it may sometimes make sense to go get a medical right before your 40th birthday, even if your current medical isn't expired yet.
-harry

on the date of your last exam, you were under 40, so its good for 60 months. enjoy!

As I understand it, the date that the rule took effect plays no part in the calculation. So if you were under age 40 at the time of your last medical, and your last medical was in the last 60 months, then your medical is valid. In your case, you're good until 2011.

It's even possible for your medical to have expired, and then become "unexpired" with the rule change.

Given the difference in durations, it may sometimes make sense to go get a medical right before your 40th birthday, even if your current medical isn't expired yet.
-harry
I lucked out because I did that, thinking I was only buying myself about seven months. I wound up buying myself over 2 years!:D

One of my students got his third class done four months before his fortieth birthday so it's good for five years. Of course, he rubbed it in when he showed me. :p

Opinions?
TIA!

If your 40th birthday has not yet happened, run, don't walk, to the nearest AME and get renewed before it does happen - That'll buy you 5 years, next due in March 2014. Otherwise, you'll have to get it done in March 2011 and March 2013!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back