do I need a medical to get a bfr?

No you do not as long as the CFI can be PIC

Thanks guys. I'm assuming most CFIs are probably legal as PIC. Awesome.

Thanks guys. I'm assuming most CFIs are probably legal as PIC. Awesome.

Not really, I know some CFIs that no longer maintain a medical. Not required for commercial or instrument instruction. Just for the Student to Private level.

Not really, I know some CFIs that no longer maintain a medical. Not required for commercial or instrument instruction. Just for the Student to Private level.

They better have one if the instrument student isn't rated or if they're under the hood as the CFI is a required crew member.

So, how about this: I'm flying as a sport pilot (long ago PPL, but now flying without medical.) Can I get a flight review in a non-sport plane with a qualified CFI. If I do not have a tail dragger endorsement, could I take it in a tail dragger?

So, how about this: I'm flying as a sport pilot (long ago PPL, but now flying without medical.) Can I get a flight review in a non-sport plane with a qualified CFI.

Sure. Don't see why not. You are a PPL without a medical. Same scenario Nick just mentioned.

If I do not have a tail dragger endorsement, could I take it in a tail dragger?

Well, you have to demonstrate proficiency in takeoffs and landings. If you can do that, why not get the endorsement at the same time?

You can get the FR in a TW as part of an endorsement program, as long as the 1 hour of ground time required for the FR is included.

But to just take a FR in a TW airplane without the endorsement, as an instructor, I wouldn't do it.

I think your assumption is correct, but since some aren't, as Ronald said to Mikhail, "доверие, но проверяет".

Who would the issue be with if the CFI can't be PIC? Did I break a reg or did he?

Sure. Don't see why not. You are a PPL without a medical. Same scenario Nick just mentioned.
But one of you better have either a valid medical or a drivers license. Yes, nearly all of us have at least one, but again, since some don't, доверие, но проверяет.

But one of you better have either a valid medical or a drivers license. Yes, nearly all of us have at least one, but again, since some don't, доверие, но проверяет.

I am confused. This was the quote I was commenting on:

Originally Posted by tinerj
So, how about this: I'm flying as a sport pilot (long ago PPL, but now flying without medical.) Can I get a flight review in a non-sport plane with a qualified CFI.

Silly me, but I assumed (yeah, I know.) that "qualified CFI" meant legal in all respects.

Doesn't a sport pilot have to have his flight review in an aircraft he is rated in (ie. LSA)?

Doesn't a sport pilot have to have his flight review in an aircraft he is rated in (ie. LSA)?

If you're qualified, you can do you flight review in a hot air balloon and it will count for everything (OK, jets are somewhat of an exception...).

If you're qualified, you can do you flight review in a hot air balloon and it will count for everything (OK, jets are somewhat of an exception...).
...and there are provisions for LSA balloons, so if you are a Sport Pilot with privileges in balloons and airplanes, you can take your flight review in either and it counts for both.

...and there are provisions for LSA balloons, so if you are a Sport Pilot with privileges in balloons and airplanes, you can take your flight review in either and it counts for both.

I always get a kick out of the fact you can do a flight-review in a balloon and that re-qualifies you to fly a King Air.

I know, insurance may be different, but so far as the FAA is concerned, it counts!

So, how about this: I'm flying as a sport pilot (long ago PPL, but now flying without medical.) Can I get a flight review in a non-sport plane with a qualified CFI. If I do not have a tail dragger endorsement, could I take it in a tail dragger?

I got a flight review in a Cessna 150 without a medical and without a nosewheel endorsement.

Now, if I wanted to step up to said 150 as PIC then I would have to jump through all of the FAA aeromedical hoops, but for the review the instructor was PIC. (Which he had to be even if I did have a medical since the last flight review I got had been a BFR so it was long expired.)

I got a flight review in a Cessna 150 without a medical and without a nosewheel endorsement.

Now, if I wanted to step up to said 150 as PIC then I would have to jump through all of the FAA aeromedical hoops, but for the review the instructor was PIC. (Which he had to be even if I did have a medical since the last flight review I got had been a BFR so it was long expired.)

Nosewheel endorsement?

I know this but the question is if someone was only sport pilot qualified, could he get a flight review in an aircraft that did not meet the requirements of a light sport aircraft? I say no.

He's the same guy who calls up ATC and cancels VFR.
:rofl:

I never call ATC.

But it is crazy that the FAA is good with someone hopping into a nosewheel aircraft and flying with passengers with no nosweheel training at all as long as they are current (ignoring the insurance issues, of course).

Last edited:
I know this but the question is if someone was only sport pilot qualified, could he get a flight review in an aircraft that did not meet the requirements of a light sport aircraft? I say no.
You are correct. If you have only a Sport Pilot certificate, you must get your flight review in a LSA. Ref: 61.56(c)(1).

You are correct. If you have only a Sport Pilot certificate, you must get your flight review in a LSA. Ref: 61.56(c)(1).
Another albeit expensive (but much fun) option for a medical-less SP would be to pass a checkride in a glider or balloon.

From 61.56(c)(1). "Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor and"

What does that mean? Single Engine Land? Or, some specific type of aircraft: Cub J-3 but not Taylorcraft? Cessna 150 but not Ercoupe?

From 61.56(c)(1). "Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor and"

What does that mean? Single Engine Land? Or, some specific type of aircraft: Cub J-3 but not Taylorcraft? Cessna 150 but not Ercoupe?
"Rated", according to the FAA Chief Counsel, means whatever ratings listed in 14 CFR 61.5 are required to act as PIC in that aircraft. So, for aircraft which require a type rating, like a Learjet, yes, you'd have that specific type rating in order to complete a 14 CFR 61.56 flight review in that aircraft. But for the light singles you mentioned, it does not.

You don't need a separate rating for any of those--PPSEL covers all.

The funny thing about Sport Pilot is that it applies to several different LSA categories, If you're rated a Sport Pilot in airplane, you can get some training in a Light Sport Glider and get an endorsement to fly light sport gliders from an instructor--no written test or FAA checkride,

Another albeit expensive (but much fun) option for a medical-less SP would be to pass a checkride in a glider or balloon.
Note that the "checkride" in this case is not an FAA practical test from an examiner. To obtain privileges in a new category or class of LSA, a Sport Pilot (or one exercising only SP privileges) needs only an endorsement from one CFI and a "proficiency check" and logbook endorsement from another CFI, and there is no additional rating added to that pilot's certificate.

The funny thing about Sport Pilot is that it applies to several different LSA categories, If you're rated a Sport Pilot in airplane, you can get some training in a Light Sport Glider and get an endorsement to fly light sport gliders from an instructor--no written test or FAA checkride,
Just as for Private Pilots, you could get a solo endorsement in a new category/class of LSA from one instructor, but that would not be sufficient to get a flight review in that new category/class. It takes another endorsement from another instructor to obtain "privileges" (the Sport Pilot equivalent of a category/class rating) in a new category/class, and that second endorsement granting the new "privilege" would be necessary to count for a flight review. See 61.321 for details on obtaining Sport Pilot privileges in additional categories/classes of LSA.

Most of the discussion so far seems to be about Sport Pilots who are merely that; but what about PPL pilots who choose to fly without a medical? Could a PPL without a medical take a flight review in a Cessna 172 if that's the plane he flew when PPL with medical?

Most of the discussion so far seems to be about Sport Pilots who are merely that; but what about PPL pilots who choose to fly without a medical? Could a PPL without a medical take a flight review in a Cessna 172 if that's the plane he flew when PPL with medical?

Yes.

Even if it wasn't the airplane that he flew as PP with a medical as long as the PP is for ASEL.

Even if said PP had never flown a nosewheel airplane before.

(Assuming the CFI can act as PIC).

That seems kinda silly. You can take a FR in a Taylorcraft BC12D that is sport pilot eligible, but not a Taylor model 19, which is essentially the same airplane, but NOT sport pilot eligible, because it weighs too much.

That seems kinda silly. You can take a FR in a Taylorcraft BC12D that is sport pilot eligible, but not a Taylor model 19, which is essentially the same airplane, but NOT sport pilot eligible, because it weighs too much.
There is a lot of silliness. But that's how it is. Luscombes are the same way....

Sorry -- I don't write 'em, I just quote 'em.

Note that the "checkride" in this case is not an FAA practical test from an examiner. To obtain privileges in a new category or class of LSA, a Sport Pilot (or one exercising only SP privileges) needs only an endorsement from one CFI and a "proficiency check" and logbook endorsement from another CFI, and there is no additional rating added to that pilot's certificate.
I was actually thinking about someone getting PPL privileges for glider or balloon, neither of which requires a medical cert IIRC. For that matter, AFaIK the vast majority of sailplanes have MGWs at or below the LSA 1320 lb limit which makes me wonder what advantages would come with a glider PPL vs SP and why anyone would work towards a SP glider rating when they could just as easily get PPL privileges.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back