Do helicopters have autopilot?

Some do, some do not. Probably less common than in airplanes, but many turbine helos have them.

Not the smaller ones that anyone around here could afford. The most popular, Robinsons, will have a friction control on the cyclic that you could use momentarily if you had to. Typically, for things like messing w/ radios or GPS you'd use your left hand. You can take your hand off the collective for a bit, but not something you'd do as a habit.

Most IFR part 135 helicopter operators require a second pilot or an operational autopilot.

If you thought fixed wing autopilot systems were expensive, helicopter autopilots are $$$$$.

Most helicopter missions wouldn't benefit from an autopilot much. I find a force trim system much more useful. In a helicopter, if you let go of the controls, the cyclic will flop over and put the helicopter in an unusual attitude almost immediately. A force trim holds the cyclic in the position that you last set it, allowing you to take your hand off or relax pressure momentarily.

I flew in a R-22 yesterday for the first time. I wasn't convinced that thing even had a real engine let alone an autopilot!

Smaller piston types, generally no. At roughly 180K a piece, it wouldn't make sense for them. Larger IFR turbines, almost always.

We just got an AP in our 407 two months ago. It's pretty much unprecedented in the VFR community. Our company has invested in over 200 of them. I really don't consider it necessary for VFR ops but it is nice to have on long XCs. I can let go of the cyclic and not be at an unusual attitude within a second. For single pilot Part 135 IFR ops (EC-135, EC-145, EC-155) the AP is required and must be used.

Some aircraft use a quasi type AP such as flight path stabilization and stability augmentation systems. Those systems don't couple to a NAVAID, they just give the aircraft positive static and dynamic stability. Without them, your larger helos would be a bear to fly.

I flew in a R-22 yesterday for the first time. I wasn't convinced that thing even had a real engine let alone an autopilot!

Why do you say that? I'm curious.

I thought the R-22 was a good trainer? :dunno:

I have not flown a helo ever, just asking.

Smaller piston types, generally no. At roughly 180K a piece, it wouldn't make sense for them. Larger IFR turbines, almost always.

We just got an AP in our 407 two months ago. It's pretty much unprecedented in the VFR community. Our company has invested in over 200 of them. I really don't consider it necessary for VFR ops but it is nice to have on long XCs. I can let go of the cyclic and not be at an unusual attitude within a second. For single pilot Part 135 IFR ops (EC-135, EC-145, EC-155) the AP is required and must be used.

Some aircraft use a quasi type AP such as flight path stabilization and stability augmentation systems. Those systems don't couple to a NAVAID, they just give the aircraft positive static and dynamic stability. Without them, your larger helos would be a bear to fly.

The EC's use FOG (Fiber Optic Gyros) that add stability. For the non autopilot ships it adds remarkable stability when releasing the cyclic.

Do you fly for Air Evac? I was reading about their autopilot updates on the 206's and 407's.

To the OP: No, helicopters don't have or use auto anything.
Cept for some of the rare exceptions you read here.
Like asking if airplanes have autoland...well, some do but big big bucks so most don't.
Most helicopters pilots don't ever fly instruments.
Course you don't need to when you can fly bout 30 knots just above the treetops where you can see.

Closest thing on an AH-64 was hover hold...drop and imaginary box viewed in the HUD and the collective movement was used to go up and down like an elevator....used for missile engagements and such....we always thought we could use it if we punched in and could land zero zero if necessary. But only works at a hover...it dose not care if it was 3 ft or 3000 ft. It was designed for targeting and not much more.

To the OP: No, helicopters don't have or use auto anything.
Cept for some of the rare exceptions you read here.
Like asking if airplanes have autoland...well, some do but big big bucks so most don't.
Most helicopters pilots don't ever fly instruments.
Course you don't need to when you can fly bout 30 knots just above the treetops where you can see.

A lot of "mosts" there. If you're talking pistons sure but that's just one category. Probably looking at thousands of twin turbines that have an AP. You even have some military aircraft that the AP with take the aircraft down to a 10 ft hover in the middle of nowhere. A few will even auto land. Won't be long before dust / snow landings will be a lost art.

I'm not sure you could even say most helo pilots don't fly on instruments. Every military pilot is instrument rated and flys on instruments. There's probably a couple hundred SPIFR programs in EMS. Even the VFR ones such as myself are required to be instrument helo rated. Of course you have the Gulf guys who fly instruments out to the rigs. I wouldn't call it rare. In fact, I'd say if there was anyone seeking any decent job in the helicopter world, an instrument rating is almost a must.

Take an intro flight once and it's like trying meth for the first time. You'll sell everything you own for another hit.

As for the R22 being a good trainer, it depends on what you're looking for in a trainer. It's what I trained in, then had the opportunity to fly a real helicopter once. All the difference in the world.
Pros:
1. Inexpensive compared to other helicopters.
2. Once you learn to fly the R22 I'm told any other helicopter is easy by comparison.

Cons:
1. Incredibly unstable.
2. Read the SFARs.
3. Like a Cessna 150, you're not taking off with full fuel and two average adults.

Last edited:

Having only been around larger turbine helicopters...the R22 is SMALL in person and up close. I loved it and it is a great trainer...will probably start a lesson or two soon and it will be in a R22.

The corporate Bell 412 I flew had an auto pilot that would fly an ILS and terminate at a hover on its own, if you could get it to work properly.

Back