Do away with Unregistered postings

NotSure

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Not Sure
With all of the trolls we have been getting maybe its time to do away with anonymous postings?

The only issue I can think of would be 'Medical Topics' since no one would post about the third DUI, drug abuse, or hemmroids under their own name.

POA Management: Is it possible with vbulletin to restrict unregistereds to Medical Topics?

Any other reason not force registration on posters?

Most of the "interesting" posts and threads have been from registered users. For every anonymous troll post you care to point out, I bet I can find two troll-like posts from registered users who have been posting here for years.

In any case, it would likely be an exercise in futility.

With all of the trolls we have been getting maybe its time to do away with anonymous postings?

The only issue I can think of would be 'Medical Topics' since no one would post about the third DUI, drug abuse, or hemmroids under their own name.

POA Management: Is it possible with vbulletin to restrict unregistereds to Medical Topics?

I think the only two forums that allow unregistered posters are Medical Topics and Lessons Learned. If the MC sees abuse of that feature which includes making snarky comments or starting arguments while unregistered, we delete the posts. Obviously we cannot monitor everything. If you see a post which you think is an abuse of the unregistered feature, click on the bad post button (white triangle with red border).

I think the only two forums that allow unregistered posters are Medical Topics and Lessons Learned. If the MC sees abuse of that feature which includes making snarky comments or starting arguments while unregistered, we delete the posts. Obviously we cannot monitor everything. If you see a post which you think is an abuse of the unregistered feature, click on the bad post button (white triangle with red border).

Thanks keep up the good work.

Why do you care? You've had 69 postings in the last three years.

Isn't a logged-in poster who uses a handle (like "NotSure") essentially unregistered?

Really, what's the diff?

I'm confident the MC could track down an abusive unregistered poster if the need arises.

The point of "Unregistered" in those two forums is to provide a place where people can post something that they may not want the rest of the world to attach to them, be it PoA or whoever else might be watching. I've used the function on more than one occasion. I think a good number of the registered users on here have used the function at some point or another (and if not, they probably will).

It should stay.

Isn't a logged-in poster who uses a handle (like "NotSure") essentially unregistered?

Really, what's the diff?
It's obvious that some people hide behind the unregistered feature to make sarcastic posts or to start arguments with previous posters. It's true that people's screen names are often somewhat anonymous but at least you can relate a post to a name of some sort. You will probably remember NotSure if he or she posts often. We're never going to get to the point of using all real names. I don't know that your real name is Tim Winters although others might.

I'm confident the MC could track down an abusive unregistered poster if the need arises.
They can and have -- and taken action accordingly. And unless something has changed unnoticed since I was on the MC, Lessons Learned and Medical Topics are the only two forums allowing publicly anonymous post (nothing being truly anonymous to the MC if they want to track it down). In any event, I do see the benefit of people being able to post in those two forums anonymously. The bigger problem is the folks whose non-anonymous responses to such posts are in violation of the PoA RoC, polite discourse, and common courtesy -- but the MC takes care of that, too.

Why do you care? You've had 69 postings in the last three years.

That's because ive been on other boards, due to the fact that every time I participate here someone behaves the way you just did.

I'm out of here.

That's because ive been on other boards, due to the fact that every time I participate here someone behaves the way you just did.

I'm out of here.

Seeya..............

Ps... Carnack told me to post this...;)

I'm out of here.

Think about what you just said.

I'm out of here.

I kinda hope you read this, but does that tell you something?

I'm out of here.
It seemed like an honest question. TBH, internet forums in general can be pretty brutal. At least this forum is moderated to an extent.

Last edited:
I'm so confused.

Methinks this person doesn't have skin thick enough to navigate the Internet.

Methinks that people come to forums like this to exchange information and learn instead of "thickening their skin" , or fending off juvenile B.S.snarky remarks. I've been off this forum for awhile, So it appears that I may be mistaken. I suddenly remember why I left.

Methinks that people come to forums like this to exchange information and learn instead of "thickening their skin" , or fending off juvenile B.S.snarky remarks. I've been off this forum for awhile, So it appears that I may be mistaken. I suddenly remember why I left.

Note: we cannot (and should not) screen potential members for attitude and demeanor. Each member agrees to go along with PoA's Rules of Conduct. We do, however, rely upon all of you to not only comply with the RoC in both letter and spirit; we need you also to help us, the all-volunteer Management Council, by letting us know when someone gets out of line.

Getting all pity-party when a few folks wrinkle your feelings is exactly the wrong thing to do. Tell us. We can fix that, but only if we know.

Total number of posts doesnt account for squat. Nor does it make the importance of a particular poster any less pertainent.

Absolutely correct.

Haters gonna hate. Trolls gonna troll.

If someone says something rude, let 'em have it. It's the internet. They can't punch you in the face. Defend yourself.

:heli:

I agree with you that trading information and learning among fellow aviation enthusiasts in a civil environment is desirable. But:

When civility is violated, the problem is that either someone somewhere has to expend the effort to restore it, or the people who desire civility have to adjust their expectations - perhaps by ignoring the unwelcome posts.

Most of the posters here get to use this web forum for free. Forum police cost money - you can't expect moderators to increase their efforts past a certain level for free. It is itself uncivil to freeload like that.

So - there is minimal forum policing. As a general rule, if one cannot control one's environment, and the problem the environment is causing is within one's mind, then the only alternatives are to take control of how one reacts to the environment - or one seeks another environment.

There is nothing wrong with opting out of an unpleasant environment - but as LoneAspen implies with "Methinks this person doesn't have skin thick enough to navigate the Internet," such a decision will close out many Internet social avenues.

Haters gonna hate. Trolls gonna troll.

If someone says something rude, let 'em have it. It's the internet. They can't punch you in the face. Defend yourself.

:heli:

offendsonthispage.jpg

Back