Do AME's accept recent results from elsewhere?

noob

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Noob
I had a scare a little less than a month ago which turned out to be nothing, but as a result I had a bunch of tests performed, including chest XRAY, chest CT, EKG, CDC, A1C, LIPIDs & MP.

Everything is normal (well, within FAA/AME ranges anyway for a CACI). CT showed fatty liver, but I don't think that's an FAA condition.

At this point the tests are all less than 4 weeks old. Is there any way that an AME will accept the results of these tests for a class 3? Or would they have to go and re-test everything from scratch again?

I don't need my medical right away and can wait a few months, but if this would prevent them from retesting, why not.

(The reason I think it's not quite a given, why would everybody not just do this... That way you can be almost sure that you'll pass a medical before you even get to an AME.).

I know some folks would bring in their color vision tests from other docs, not sure if it's the same for cardiac stuff

Hopefully Dr. Bruce will post information and provide direction this afternoon or evening.

Or if you already have a relationship with an AME local to you, call his/her office and pose your questions to them.

Are you on an SI or have some other indication that these tests are even relevant? A third class medical typically requires NONE of these. You'd have to report that you visited the doctor who had these tests done, but absent any finding, most AMEs wouldn't even care to see them.

The only real test for a third class other than hearing and vision is the urine dip for glucose/protein (though a lot of docs use 7-way strips out of convenience even though they only need two of the spots on it...this is fine unless you happen to be on the Atkins diet at the time and are spilling ketones...don't get me started).

You have to list Dr visits on the medical form, so I would think an AME would want to see them as he's going to ask about them when he sees your visits listed.

Are you on an SI or have some other indication that these tests are even relevant?

No I never held a medical before. Would be my first time. I'm overweight, but all my actual numbers are well within the CACI ranges (as per the tests).

I'm probably going to need an SI (or is that just a CACI?) though because I'm on a CPAP machine, but that's not going to change anytime soon so I will have to go through that process regardless.

A third class medical typically requires NONE of these. You'd have to report that you visited the doctor who had these tests done, but absent any finding, most AMEs wouldn't even care to see them. The only real test for a third class other than hearing and vision is the urine dip for glucose/protein (though a lot of docs use 7-way strips out of convenience even though they only need two of the spots on it...this is fine unless you happen to be on the Atkins diet at the time and are spilling ketones...don't get me started).

I'm surprised. I thought they would at least need A1C and fasting blood sugar.

Nope, unless you are a treated diabetic they don't need any tests. Of course, it behooves you to make sure your A1c is reasonable. My son can tell you all about organ damage from high A1c.

The CPAP SI is straightforward but still requires none of the tests you're describing.

Fatty liver need be identified by your family doc as just that, as the other lead cause (overweight is #1) is excess alcohol. Bring a letter that expresses just this thought.

For an episode of chest pain, you need an unequivocal letter sayin that your doc thiks this is esophageal and not cardiac, AND that you are not being followed for coronary artery disease.

For Sleep Apnea, bring a printout of your machine usage along, and your docs' statement that you are well treated, no complaint of daytime sleepies, and no findings on physical exam, of right heart failure.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back