DME morse code heard on Nav frequency

John777

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
so, from the book it mentions that the DME morse code is heard every half minute and sometimes in conjunction with VOR identifier morse code, my question is that what does 'identifier' mean(like numbers for frequency and ID?) and how 'identifier' is broken down and heard as morse code?

When you tune in a VOR frequency and select that Nav radio, you will hear the Morse identifier for the VOR. it is much more frequent than 30 seconds, and let's you make sure you have the correct frequency dialed in before using it to navigate with the OBS. Looking at a sectional, every VOR has a name, frequency and abbreviation; the Morse code for the abbreviation is also shown. For example, near me is LAGRANGE, 115.6, LGC, and the Morse for LGC (.-.. --. -.-.).

When you hear it, a short beep is a "dot," and a long beep is a "dash."

It's the ghosts of old pilots, trying to communicate and find their way home.
Or the latest and greatest technology the FAA has to offer.
Not sure which.

I remember being in the back seat during my wife's primary training. Her and the instructor are trying to track the EMI VOR and having a hard time. The Id was blaring. Finally I pointed out it was sending TEST. I gave my wife a hard time as she is an Advanced class amateur radio operator from the days you had to show 13wpm code proficiency.

I remember being in the back seat during my wife's primary training. Her and the instructor are trying to track the EMI VOR and having a hard time. The Id was blaring. Finally I pointed out it was sending TEST. I gave my wife a hard time as she is an Advanced class amateur radio operator from the days you had to show 13wpm code proficiency.
Yup...you need to actually identify the fact that the Morse is correct...I've tuned a new VOR, and while the parallel DME frequency tuned, the VOR receiver stayed on the old frequency. Copilot just listened to verify there was Morse code there, but didn't actually read it.

Provided a little inflight entertainment. ;)

so, from the book it mentions that the DME morse code is heard every half minute and sometimes in conjunction with VOR identifier morse code, my question is that what does 'identifier' mean(like numbers for frequency and ID?) and how 'identifier' is broken down and heard as morse code?

What did your instructor say? You did ask them right? You recently have made it sound like you are getting ready to do a check ride... you are supposedly in instrument training... this is along the lines of "day 1, flight 1" material of instrument flying. Not stuff you would be unaware of leading up to an instrument checkride..

Others have pointed out that @John777 asks a lot of odd questions about a wide variety of things that wouldn't be much related in a normal timeline for learning any of this stuff, @Doggtyred ... click on the profile and posts and you'll see it.

Probably best to simply ignore at this point. Almost every thread starts with "did you ask your instructor" and never a post in reply.

Wasting people's time is all that's going on here...

ok so currently I do not have an instructor.
Secondly, I am far away from where I used to receive training?! and I do not know when to go back flying.
Third, Is it that serious or rather wrong to get into details like you guys say mechanic or A&P candidates? because I personally believe good pilot is always learning.
If you think you are wasting of your time then why do you leave comments below?

ok so currently I do not have an instructor.
Secondly, I am far away from where I used to receive training?! and I do not know when to go back flying.
Third, Is it that serious or rather wrong to get into details like you guys say mechanic or A&P candidates? because I personally believe good pilot is always learning.
If you think you are wasting of your time then why do you leave comments below?

When you are asking about XYZ when you should be learning ABC (according to the information you are providing), it get a bit tedious. Some people like to major in minor things. And obsess about details that wont get them safer and more proficient sooner.

Are you guys members of some club, whose purpose is to drive away as many newcomers as possible? Or is it just the ones whose life circumstances and/or interests don't meet your standards? :rolleyes1:

The short answer is that every VOR has a three-letter identifier associated with it, which is printed on the aeronautical charts. That three-letter identifier is what is being transmitted in Morse code. (The three-letter identifiers are also used in filing flight plans, or in entering flight plans into your GPS.)

Most VORs also have a DME at the same location, which will be transmitting the same Morse identifier (although it will be at a higher pitch).

The purpose of the Morse identifiers is to provide a backup to catch your error if you tune in the wrong frequency.

Last edited:
The purpose of the Morse identifiers is to provide a backup to catch your error if you tune in the wrong frequency.

Or if the station is entirely off the air or as I mentioned earlier, under undergoing maintenance that makes it unreliable. In some rare cases, it may be that you're tuned right, but you're receiving a signal from some other station.
We had a crash here a few years back where the supposition is that the pilot, rather than flying the ILS into a mountainous area airport was tracking a nearby VOR.
The snazzier new radios have built in morse decoders that make it a lot easier, but you still have to check it. My GNS480 gets testy at you if you've told it you were flying a ILS or VOR approach and you've not got the right frequency tuned on the NAV side.
ADFs you pretty much are advised to listen continuously through the approach as they don't have any "flag" to indicate signal loss. VORs and LOCs you need to identify once.

As pointed out DME stations collocated with a VOR (either VOR/DME or VORTAC) will send the same identifier but on the DME frequency. If you have both the DME and the VOR receiver indents playing they are indeed alternated and at different pitches so you can tell which is which.

Are you guys members of some club, whose purpose is to drive away as many newcomers as possible? Or is it just the ones whose life circumstances and/or interests don't meet your standards? :rolleyes1:

Have you clicked on his profile and seen how many weird question threads he started in a very short time frame?

It's not really that anyone won't answer the questions or what-not, but the weird frequency of them and wondering if there's some kind of odd trolling going on.

All stuff anyone actually doing the flying would be learning from an instructor, and yet the claim in one thread is that there are "no instructors anywhere around" or similar.

I mean, maybe the guy is on assignment in Antarctica or something, but I doubt it. (Even then, I know two CFIs who've worked and stayed in Antarctica... haha.)

The weirdest part about the questions is that they show enough understanding of the topics that the person would normally know the answer to the question, by then, also.

Dunno. Shrug. Go look at all of them and see what you think.

Haha. I think those people, those.... fixed members seems not wanting to learn in detail, just study and remain at their rote level of learning !
I, personally like to do a lot of research beyond the scope of education my instructor would provide, because there so many things to learn, and just memorizing books does not relieve me of curiosity ^^

Or if the station is entirely off the air or as I mentioned earlier, under undergoing maintenance that makes it unreliable. In some rare cases, it may be that you're tuned right, but you're receiving a signal from some other station.
We had a crash here a few years back where the supposition is that the pilot, rather than flying the ILS into a mountainous area airport was tracking a nearby VOR.
The snazzier new radios have built in morse decoders that make it a lot easier, but you still have to check it. My GNS480 gets testy at you if you've told it you were flying a ILS or VOR approach and you've not got the right frequency tuned on the NAV side.
ADFs you pretty much are advised to listen continuously through the approach as they don't have any "flag" to indicate signal loss. VORs and LOCs you need to identify once.

As pointed out DME stations collocated with a VOR (either VOR/DME or VORTAC) will send the same identifier but on the DME frequency. If you have both the DME and the VOR receiver indents playing they are indeed alternated and at different pitches so you can tell which is which.
Thanks sir, for your time and valuable comments...
Have a great weekend!

When you are asking about XYZ when you should be learning ABC (according to the information you are providing), it get a bit tedious. Some people like to major in minor things. And obsess about details that wont get them safer and more proficient sooner.
there is no minor things in aviation. Just learning to save my ass ~

there is no minor things in aviation. Just learning to save my ass ~

Looking over the posts you've started, ill very clearly state that most of those trivial items won't save your ass.

Stuff like the "fuses in a G1000" equipped airplane thread (as one example) is right in the POH/AFM for the aircraft and if you're flying one, you'll be buying a copy and can reference it directly.

Stuff like the "VOR cone of confusion" has been in every text I've ever read that discusses VOR navigation, including the FAA free material.

So I'm concerned when you say you're "reading" but you're also "overcome with curiosity". These things are very well explained in the texts you're supposedly reading.

Which is why my intuition tells me something is not right with either your study process, or the story of why all the odd questions.

There's also the practical side of this concern: If you are flying and have ever flown over a VOR you have SEEN the answer to the cone of confusion question, because it's blatantly obvious. The CDI bangs off of the stop and does all sorts of screwy things.

Which is why it's in the texts, after all. Application of this "knowledge" you're seeking is required in the actual aircraft.

Which just has me curious... are you flying now? Because all of this stuff becomes a whole lot more obvious if you are. If you're not flying, many of the topics raised are important at all.

Or more directly: What are you "saving your ass" from if you're not out flying yet? Lots of trivial and somewhat detailed questions about IFR flying seems to indicate you're working on an Instrument certificate?

If not, it's obviously not bad to study and even not bad to head off on odd tangents, but don't say they're going to "save your ass". I don't think you have spent enough time flying, just judging by the questions, to know what will "save your ass" yet.

I can't fix your "story" but I can help with the study process.

Here's a set of questions for you to study that really might "save your ass":

What is the most common accident in flying aircraft?

What would you need to know or be able to do to avoid it?

Bonus question: Is the most common accident type also the same when the accident is fatal?

If not, what would you need to do to avoid fatal accidents?

Point the "curiosity" at those things. Empirical data proves that they're what is really important in ass-saving. :)

Haha. I think those people, those.... fixed members seems not wanting to learn in detail, just study and remain at their rote level of learning !
I, personally like to do a lot of research beyond the scope of education my instructor would provide, because there so many things to learn, and just memorizing books does not relieve me of curiosity ^^

I'm a big "why" person, which is why I've humored many of the requests... but truly and honestly, if this is the sort of thing you are focusing on, you are distracting from your training at this stage, not really benefitting it. I had a retired aeronautical engineer from the B2 program, who was also an A&P and AI as my CFI and CFII for my private and instrument training. We focused on the curriculum, not the distractions, and mastering the skills and knowledge needed at that stage of training.

Back