DME from ILS

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
I'm still a private student, though my CFI has mentioned about using the DME off an ILS to help determine distance from an airport.

It is an guarantee that if there are instrument procedures into an airport, that DME will be an option? If not, how can I find out?

DME off the ILS is iffy at best.

Consult the approach plates to determine if DME is available on the Localizer.

Even if the plates say that the localizer and DME is available doesn't mean that it really will be. It's usually un-monitored and you're basically on your own.

Last edited:
Some airports have ILS; most don't. Of those airports with ILS, many have DME with their ILS; many don't. The two places to find out are the Airport/Facility Directory entry for that airport (something I would expect you to have even as a Student Pilot) or on the approach chart for that particular ILS (something the average Student Pilot will not be carrying).

That said, it's not a tool I'd be expecting a Student Pilot to know about or use.

I'm still a private student, though my CFI has mentioned about using the DME off an ILS to help determine distance from an airport.

It is an guarantee that if there are instrument procedures into an airport, that DME will be an option? If not, how can I find out?

No. Most I've flown do not have DME. Many will use DME off a nearby VOR. Check the approach plate for specifics.

Last edited:
Sounds like a local procedure to me.

My wife's instructor told her no GPS when she was a student (I had one of the early Garmin 195's...serial number #9). Ol' 73FR had a VOR DME RNAV, so I taught Margy how to take the RNAV coords out of the airport guide and program them in. The instructor caught her on the next flight and say NO RNAV!

My wife's instructor told her no GPS when she was a student (I had one of the early Garmin 195's...serial number #9). Ol' 73FR had a VOR DME RNAV, so I taught Margy how to take the RNAV coords out of the airport guide and program them in. The instructor caught her on the next flight and say NO RNAV!

:lol: :rofl:

Must show how to use everything on board! ;)

Not to miss out on a good training oppurtunity here though it may be premature for you...

When you have questions like this you can always refer to the Aeronautical Information Manual or AIM as it is known.

Looking in the index DME will refer you to Distance Measuring Equipment. Under that heading there are a couple of choices.

At this point you will be most interested in 1-1-7. Most notably -
  • b. where it is noted that this is a slant range
  • f. where it is noted how to identify if it is working or not

I would guess that you were maybe trying to utilize the DME to figure out when to comply with operating practices of AIM 4-1-9 c. ? :wink2:

Back