DME Channel

celesteh89

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
celesteh89
What are DME channels? And are they relevant for pilots or just a number at the chart? (e.g. Ch xx at the VOR/DME legend)

What are DME channels? And are they relevant for pilots or just a number at the chart? (e.g. Ch xx at the VOR/DME legend)

They're irrelevant to pilots using VHF navigation receivers. DME operates on UHF, the proper DME channel is set when you select the paired VHF frequency. If you had a TACAN receiver you'd dial in the charted DME channel.

I think if you have a stand-alone dme, you set in the channel to tune it. If the dme is paired with a vor receiver, the dme is automatically channelized when you set the vor frequency.

I think if you have a stand-alone dme, you set in the channel to tune it. If the dme is paired with a vor receiver, the dme is automatically channelized when you set the vor frequency.

The standalone DME's I've used, you tune in the associated VOR frequency.

Even standalone DMEs in nearly all civil aircraft have the channel selected by dialing in the paired VHF frequency. I've never seen otherwise in 35 years of flying.

If you have a standalone DME, an NDB/DME, or a TACAN, you enter the paired VHF frequency to obtain distance. You can't select DME channels directly on normal non-military equipment.

Last edited:
If you have a standalone DME, an NDB/DME, or a TACAN you enter the paired VHF frequency to obtain distance. You can't select DME channels directly on normal non-military equipment.

TACAN units typically use channel numbers. THere's no "VHF" side to TACAN.

Here's a typical TACAN-only unit
SR_tcn_cntl_3_1.JPG

You dial in the numeric part of the channel number with the two knobs and then select either X or Y with the toggle switch. The T/R position of the switch enables the DME (transmitter) portion, where RECV gives you azimuth only.

Last edited:

SR_tcn_cntl_3_1.JPG

You dial in the numeric part of the channel number with the two knobs and then select either X or Y with the toggle switch. The T/R position of the switch enables the DME (transmitter) portion, where RECV gives you azimuth only.

That's all true and consistent with what I wrote.

You said "If you have a standalone DME, VOR/DME, or TACAN..."

I've never seen a TACAN unit that uses the paired frequencies. Only commercial DME.

You said "If you have a standalone DME, VOR/DME, or TACAN..."

I've never seen a TACAN unit that uses the paired frequencies. Only commercial DME.

You can see one by clicking on TACAN in post #8.

That brings up a picture of a chart not a standalone TACAN unit.

That brings up a picture of a chart not a standalone TACAN unit.

The chart shows Deering TACAN. It's not a VORTAC, it's not a VOR/DME, it's a standalone TACAN. There is nothing there that is producing a signal on 114.9 MHz, choosing that frequency actually selects the TACAN channel.

I see, you're talking about the navigation facility where Witmo and I are talking about the navigation equipment.

What's the X and Y for?

SR_tcn_cntl_3_1.JPG

The chart shows Deering TACAN. It's not a VORTAC, it's not a VOR/DME, it's a standalone TACAN. There is nothing there that is producing a signal on 114.9 MHz, choosing that frequency actually selects the TACAN channel.

Agreed, and the civil users gets distance only when he tunes 114.9 on his civil DME box in the cockpit.

The X and Y along with the digits form the channel number. The receive frequency for the TACAN changes when you select X or Y but the transmit frequency is the same for either one.

TRANSMIT FREQ = 1024MHz + channel number.
RECEIVE FREQ FOR X CHNANELS = 961 + channel_number
RECEIVE FREQ FOR Y CHANNELS = 1087 + channel number

Back