DIY cockpit audio recorder

Use an audio cable splitter and plug it into your tablet or cell phone.

I think the cheapest/easiest solution is a $30 lav mic tucked under a headset cup.

I think the cheapest/easiest solution is a $30 lav mic tucked under a headset cup.
1. What do you use to record it?
2. Wouldn't your own voice be muted due to lower volume side-tone?

1. the mic plugs right into the gopro
2. I don't understand that technical mumbo jumbo but no, voices are not muted

1. the mic plugs right into the gopro
2. I don't understand that technical mumbo jumbo but no, voices are not muted
Who said anything about a GoPro?

Depends upon what you want... Just audio? My CFI used a cassette recorder plugged in to a spare headset jack. If you want to synch the audio with video on a GoPro, there are cables that plug inline with your headset to breakout the audio and feed it to the USB port on the camera. It can also act as an external power source at the same time. It worked pretty will with my Hero 3 Black.

Who said anything about a GoPro?

I did. the question you asked was "what do you use to record it" and my response was gopro. therefore, I said something about a gopro.

I have used my iPhone headphone mic tucked inside the headset and recorded on the voice notes app. It’s not bad quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whacha got? I have digital audio recorders that I use for other things that would work great and accept 1/4" or XLR mics. But not everyone will have that and its not really required. Lav mics that will plug right into your android or iphone are a dime a dozen.
Depends on your airplane. If you've got dinosaur radios with no side tone output, then you're not going to get audio of your own radio transmissions. But that's a shortcoming of the airplane not the method of audio capture. And its going to be an issue for almost all audio capture methods. You can't record audio that isn't there. Upgrade your radios and/or your intercom that problem goes away. But if you're going to that extreme, you might as well just wire in a audio capture output jack. Then you just need a wire to plug into your phone or portable recorder. Won't be quick or cheap though.

What apps do you use on iPhone to record? I've tried a couple and they're fine for short messages, but not for hours long recordings....

Last edited:
I always used a cable going to a “pro-sumer” audio recorder that had good leveling and auto-ducking if driven into clipping to record audio on board to later add to video or just use. The cable also had about a 6dB pad resistor in it.

Flawless audio that say nut lacking in ambjent engine noise. Would use the mic track from one of the cameras as another mixed source to get that in post production/editing.

Do need a sync “clap” or similar to get them all lined up in the editor.

Back