Divorce, house, etc (not me) (non aviation)

Lol was she not before you married or what?

I applaud your questioning skills, and the answer is yah, probably, donno man, **** I should have known, crap how did I miss that... and many more

THANK YOU all for the replies, really, thank you.

The couple in question is my mother and father in law, if that clears anything up.

The house was bought after they were married. He brought her to the states and once she was here, "they" bought the house and business. She was very limited in her language so all the paperwork that got filled for house and business was by him, with her being moslty clueless. I mentioned changing the locks and freezing the business account.. this was 100% abandonment. He left on a trip with the excuse to go see his family, to never return.. only to sell everything, cash in and go back and enjoy it with the mistress.
And for the ones that have mentioned him being a POS, youre absolutely right.

The couple in question is my mother and father in law, if that clears anything up.

The house was bought after they were married. He brought her to the states and once she was here, "they" bought the house and business. She was very limited in her language so all the paperwork that got filled for house and business was by him, with her being moslty clueless. I mentioned changing the locks and freezing the business account.. this was 100% abandonment. He left on a trip with the excuse to go see his family, to never return.. only to sell everything, cash in and go back and enjoy it with the mistress.
Sorry to hear that, really sucks when there’s a real creep right in the family.

I’d say that unless there’s divorce papers signed, there’s a lot of room for your mom to get a dirty shyster lawyer and give your FIL the screwing he deserves.

She was very limited in her language so all the paperwork that got filled for house and business was by him, with her being moslty clueless.
Being from another country and not knowing the language, especially legal language, would explain why she didn't realize how the house and business was titled. That sucks.

Am I understanding, he has already sold everything and left or his intention is to sell everything and leave? That guy is a real POS!!

So sorry to hear that. My husband's aunt suffered a similar story. Had been married I don't know how long, as long as I've known her so at least 25 years probably longer. They were both in their early 80s when he found some new octogenarian hussy and left her for his new squeeze whom he promptly married. Changed his will, cut my aunt in law out completely, and then six months later died, leaving everything to his new wife.

When I talked to her about it, it was heartbreaking. She told me she suspected he was having onset of mild dementia and had been easily manipulated by this new woman. I have no reason to doubt her assessment and makes me wonder how a person can protect themselves from this sort of thing. Before this happened, she wouldn't have thought to go before a judge and get him declared incompetent because of "mild" symptoms of dementia, because he wasn't that bad. And even now it would be very difficult to prove that he was not in his right mind when he changed his will, so she has little chance of having it declared void. He may have been that demented, but having evidence to prove it is another matter.

I feel so bad for your MIL. Maybe the FIL also has undiagnosed dementia, of early onset even, it can start in your 50s. Lack of judgment, impulsivity, inability to censor the part of the mind that wants to go out on new adventures, these are some of the things in a middle aged and older male I would think could be affected causing them to abandon a stable marriage and hurt their spouse so badly. I can also see the other side if a person has been unhappy in a marriage for a very long time and wants to escape and live happily before they die, and we never know what exactly goes on inside a marriage. But in my opinion, no matter how unhappy you are or what a shrew you think your wife is (or husband), you don't leave a spouse destitute, if you must leave them you can do it and come to an equitable financial settlement. What these two men did is truly sh!!!y whether it is sad dementia or just evil, either way.

Most States are no fault, much shenanigans hardly matter. Yes, a family divorce attorney yesterday. One needs to pay attention to finances right away, joint cards, home equity, etc..

The ‘Divorce Industry’ is a gangly beast, needs to be fed copious amounts of $$$. Most play dirty as they can once the process begins, prepare.

Back